Susan W
Greener Thumb

benign neglect garden

Often, too much to mention, we kill our plants with kindness, Given this, looking at a small space, 4 x 4 to add much more soil, and plant some drier feet plants (perennials). I have one space (there are 4 of the 4 x 4's linked together) that is dedicated KY Col mint. This cut for market. Anyway, it is lovely in spring and into July. Then goes south by mid July with caterpillars from H working the tender tops, and a fungusy thing from below.
I am thinking to harvest as I can until problems set in, then turn it over to a dry foot space. It is slightly sheltered, and will try for
Mexican sage (borderline perennial). I love it for Aug til frost purple spike blooms and food source for passing through hummers and monarchs, along with the resident bees.
Rosemary. Always need to put in more, also borderline perennial
Lavender. Always need more, again one of those testy ones.
Yarrow. I usually kill mine with kindness. Sigh
Blanket flower, again, I kill with kindness.
and a few more, especially plants I am trying to add to the market inventory.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It will be beautiful!!

I agree very much on the benign neglect vs killing with kindness. Most of the problems people write in here with fall in the killing with kindness category - over watering, over feeding, ending up with big, lush, tender plants with lots of pests and diseases.

But if you start your garden with the mint, then later plant with a bunch of perennials, it doesn't sound like something that can be an annual cycle. Or will you later dig all the perennials for market and start over?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

The mint will be history! It is in sad shape now, and best to let things ride until spring. It should grow more sprouts, and also have plenty for harvest. I plan to dig and pot up starts both for me (put in large containers) and market. Harvest. Then dig it all out! Trash bag (don't need a mess of mint rootlets or cooties in the compost). Turn the area deep with fork, and add, add, add. In looking at space now, can go up by 4".

Presuming the Mexican sage comes back in spring in a different area, need to dig out a couple of clumps in May when it is showing new leaves. That will be before the mint bed is re-done, but can work into one corner with the same digging, cleaning, adding.

Everything looks fine and simple on paper!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”