A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

English ivy

My english ivy is at the window, and I want to replant it outside but it has gone into a little hollow cylinder along the side of the window and it came out at the top. Its stem got thicker so now it can't be removed. What do I do? Can I cut it? It has another, free, shoot and some more plant from before it went in there. It's thriving...too much. If I take a tip cutting and plant next to my house will it grow? And please don't give me "invasive" stuff here, because I got the plant from my neighbor's yard with permission. It was already taking over the place. So, it's already here, I won't be introducing it. Any help?

Thanks,
AHS

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Ivy can be bad on a house. The roots can penetrate and damage the house. It is very pretty but will penetrate and cause damage. I recommended removing it from the house.

applestar
Mod

Oops.... Yeah I would cut that shoot off with a little extra of the thicker/sturdier stem sticking out of the bottom so you can get a good grip on it.

Hopefully it will shrink a bit once deprived of the root system -- make sure the window's tubing and casing area stays dry and condensation won't be supplying that piece -- and you'll be able to pull it out in a little while. Hopefully it didn't get a chance to secure some root hold inside the tube already.

It may not seem necessary now, but you WILL want to keep an eye on the plant and make a decision on how to contain it once it gets established and growing everywhere. You already have an example of how persistent and tenacious it can be.

"It was already taking over the place" <-- unless this is the look you want. :wink:

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Thanks guys! I'll try those suggestions! ;)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”