A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Mile-A-Minute Vine

Hi, I was wondering how I can get a mile-a-minute vine. You know, the vine with triangular leaves and spines on the underside of the leaves. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
A Happy Seedling

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Why would you want it ? It has that name for a reason -- kudzu of the north. Incredibly invasive . I think it is illegal to plant most places .

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

A Happy Seedling wrote:Hi, I was wondering how I can get a mile-a-minute vine. You know, the vine with triangular leaves and spines on the underside of the leaves. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
A Happy Seedling

Why in heaven's name & all that is holy would you want to purposely introduce something so horribly invasive into the Virginia countryside??!!?? Isn't it bad enough that we already have Kudzu here, as well as escaped English Ivy - both of which are killing trees & quickly crowding out native plants? There's an excellent reason why you're having a problem finding it. I don't know if it's illegal in Virginia, but it very well might be. Here's some info on invasive plants:

https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plan ... nute.shtml

https://www.wbur.org/2009/07/16/mile-a-minute-weed

There are folks working hard to keep "Mile-a-Minute" OUT of Virginia (and eradicate it from New England where it has somewhat of a stronghold), since it seems to be making its way south from the north, where it's already a big problem. Why do you want to purposely plant it?

Sorry to sound so strongly about this, but I have a CONSTANT battle with invasive Japanese honeysuckle as well as other seriously invasive vines every single growing season, & I'd go postal if a neighbor started purposely growing Mile-a-Minute (or Kudzu or English Ivy) & thus adding to the native flora destruction.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

I have an indoor large wooden tray-like planter where I am growing vines, some nice little English Ivies and Virginia Creepers included. I have trellises made of chicken wire in there. The whole thing is behind our glass back door. So my Mile-a-Minute wouldn't hurt a fly if I put it there. I think the triangular leaves are interesting, so I want to plant it.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

You do realize that any & all of the vines you've mentioned will crowd out/outgrow/strangle each other & your planter in a relatively short amount of time? What do you plan to do then? Hopefully it won't be throwing the whole shebang out on a compost pile or elsewhere where any straggling little pieces of live root could take hold. You have absolutely no idea how easy it is for these plants to get a stronghold outdoors. It's not even all that safe to put them in the trash to end up in a landfill. Burning is probably the only completely safe method of disposing of them.

Again, with all the lovely vining plants available for growing - especially indoors - why three highly-invasive native-flora-killing plants are your choice completely escapes me.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Too late. English ivy has now killed Virginia Creeper. Will try to make a cutting into a bonsai...I'll throw out the original plant. And forget the mile a minute. Too invasive. Thanks for opening my eyes guys...I was actually going to plant the world's most invasive vine. :roll:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”