imafan26
Mod

How do you use a weed whacker

My weed whacker broke and it took me a while to get a new one. I got a gas one and at first it started up right away and lasted about 5 minutes and then I could not get it started again. Since that set me back about a $139, I waited awhile and got another electric weed whacker and finished the front yard.

However, not weed whacking for a couple of months with no weed whacker, the weeds are up to my hips. I have again burned out another electric weed whacker. I tried again to start the gas weed whacker. It quit a couple of times but I managed to get it restarted and did about 1/4 of my back yard which would be about 30'x20' ft. Now, the spool is out of plastic string and I can't figure out how to respool it. It is a Homelite gas trimmer. I could not find the instruction book for the gas trimmer only the electric one. I looked it up on line and it said that the top should turn but I can't turn it. I can unlock and line up the arrow but it doesn't turn beyond that. Anyone got a clue what I am missing?

https://manuals.homelite.com/system/file ... l.pdf?2011

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

The best thing I ever got for my gas weedwacker was a Pivotrim head. It would drive me nuts having to stop and re-string that head (and it always had about 2' of string left on both levels), and often, when not even needing to be restrung, the string would snap, and I'd have to remove the head and re-thread it through the holes. The pivotrim is incredibly simple, and most trimmers only use 2 of 4 of the strings - using 4 slows down most of them. They also give a head with 3 plastic blades, for very heavy weeds, though I have never used that. I have been using this for a few years now, and still have at least half of the strings I got with it.

And something that helps with all 2 cycle motors is mixing Stabil into the gas mix. I also use this with my plain gas for 4 cycle, but I learned early on that some 2 cycle motors wouldn't start after the gas was sitting in them just a few weeks, but start right up with a new gas/oil mix.

imafan26
Mod

I found out about stabil a few years ago with the mini tiller. I bought the expensive premixed red can with the gas and oil mixed 50:1 with the stabil. I found out with the last gas weedwhacker I had, that it had to have non-ethanol fuel or it ruined the carburator. I have seen people using different heads. The one I see most is the one where they cut the line into 18 inch lengths and feed it into the head. It has to be changed often but it doesn't get tangled.

I think I flooded the engine trying to start it repeatedly. I am also left handed which makes it harder since it is a right handed tool. Not fun to be next to the exhaust from this thing. I have to hold it funny for me and it cuts on the opposite end of the swing, but that happens with the electric too. It just makes it harder since it is an unnatural position and my right side does not have very good conttrol.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Ima-I am a promoter of electric tools. When I got divorced and was buying my own lawnmower, my daddy told me-get one without having to pre-mix gas. No carburator problems, and don't have to buy special oil. Weed-eater-same thing. I have had a Black & Decker weed hog for almost 10 years -so easy to change the spool-the first time I did it I thought I had done it wrong, it was so easy! When your weeds get as tall as you say they are, I usually use a machete first to whack em down to manageable size, then weed-eat. But I only do a little at a time so I don't burn up my weedeater. I did that to my first one.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

If you are doing light -medium duty, go with the battery one! Weed whackers and I have never gotten along well, which translates to raggedy untrimmed edges etc. One son got me the lighter duty battery pack trimmer which is easy to handle. He picked up a couple of other battery tools (small cultivator, hedge trimmer) all with the same battery size -charger. I think mine is Black and Decker, could be wrong. (other son borrowed it, and hope he brings it back, unlike some other 'borrowed' items!)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

We have a gas powered weed wacker. Because of broken and repaired bones in my right arm I can no longer start it. Unfortunately G does not use it enough. The weeds grow along the fence line and the driveway and sidewalk or covered with grass on the edges. Before my injury I used the weed wacker to clean the fence line and edge the concrete. I did try an electric unit but quickly burned it up. A good option for very small applications. Not suitable for heavy work.

When I had my landscaping business I used a gas powered, straight shaft weed eater. My first one had a reel type string feeder. A major pain in the butt. My second unit used individual strings. It was much easier to use and did a better job.

The electric unit has not held up. If I lived in a Town House with a very small yard it might work. It is not suitable for a larger yard especially if have to edge concrete.

Good luck

imafan26
Mod

The electric one does not have a lot of power and you are right when the weeds were under a foot tall and they were not a solid mass, it did o.k. but would still pull out the string when it got caught on taller weeds or around anything really. It is also tied to a 100 ft cord so I could not use it at the community garden.

I did get the straight gas trimmer and I have a strap because it is heavy. I learned long ago if you want to do any edging you cannot do it with a curved trimmer.

I have a machete and a cane knife but it is among the tools I don't use well. I have been digging out the clumps by hand, so I am getting more behind as the weeds grow back fast behind me. I do have a couple of sickles. I don't use those well either but I might have better luck shortening the weeds with those first. It is a problem when tools are not designed for left hand use. The cutting edge on knives and sickles are on one side and it is designed to be cut by the right hand. If I use my right hand, then I don't have control, so instead of the blade hitting squarely, it hits slightly on the side so it is like using a very dull knife.

If you are not left handed you would not know the difference in how you have to use everyday things like scissors, pens, motorized tools like the weedwhacker, some hand tools are also designed for right handed use, and things like vegetable peelers. Some things I use my right hand, but since it is a weaker side, I don't have a lot of control. When I use a scissors with my right hand, it is easier to cut, but I cannot cut a straight line. I cannot really crochet well because the instructions are for right handers and everything has to be held and turned in the opposite direction for lefties. I have a starter set of left handed golf clubs. The only thing in there is a two way putter. My instructor tried me with right hand clubs since I had not golfed before and he said, I was definitely a leftie. I can eat with my right hand if I have to but it is not comfortable.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Apparently I am lucky, because I've had mine a long time. My yard is approx. 1/2 acre and I have a ditch in front approx. 120 ft. that the parish does not cut, and it retains water, so I have to weed eat it. Also, along my fences and flower beds. I take care of it , and yeah, sometimes the 100 ft. cord is a pain, but I can operate it. I also edge my driveway and my patio. The only thing I had to replace was when the end cap broke off. Lowe's had a replacement for less than 5 bucks. I understand your plight Ima-just stating my experience. When the time comes to replace, I will probably opt for the battery powered one. I'm all for "easy"!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”