Susan W
Greener Thumb

Water from air conditioner

Would there be anything wrong with using water from the AC? Here's my situation. I have central heat/air on main floor. Son is upstairs in large room, and uses window unit, dripping lots of water. With our heat and humidity, the unit runs (main one not much at all). The drip is where I have a couple shelves of plants, qts and larger, east side, mainly for market. I can (did) put a 5 gal bucket to catch drips, and could use that to spot water. Any plants around the drip haven't been hurt, spare getting too much water!

applestar
Mod

It's condensation water / distilled water so it's basically like rainwater. :D

Susan W
Greener Thumb

When the light bulb came on, it's like Wow, Why didn't I think of this earlier?! I easily get 5 gallons, and that's with dipping some out for spot watering. Just keep a coffee can there, and as one walks by, check the plants.

For others who have an AC dripping good water where you can have easy access, just put a bucket under the drip. Not rocket science.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Just be careful. The condensate pan can breed a lot of nasties. I've unplugged and cleaned way to many. Mine runs through gravel and underground to water plants.

Sweyn

Susan W wrote:Would there be anything wrong with using water from the AC? Here's my situation. I have central heat/air on main floor. Son is upstairs in large room, and uses window unit, dripping lots of water. With our heat and humidity, the unit runs (main one not much at all). The drip is where I have a couple shelves of plants, qts and larger, east side, mainly for market. I can (did) put a 5 gal bucket to catch drips, and could use that to spot water. Any plants around the drip haven't been hurt, spare getting too much water!
It's not the same but, if you have humid air, you can buy a dehumidifier machine. That will condense water from the air in a container inside it. When it fills, you can use the water on plants. It's very clean.

You could try that, as well.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”