Trent
Newly Registered

Gardening Design Project Help

Hello
I am currently studying for an MSc in Industrial Design at the university of Teesside. For my final year major project I am looking into gardening and different problem areas that people experience when gardening.
I have identified and researched areas such as kneeling to weed soil, garden storage, heavy lifting of ornaments grow bags watering cans etc, handling wheelbarrows, using garden machinery, carrying tools and equipment, Composting solutions and so on.

For this project I need to get as much perspective on the problem area as possible and the opinions of as many different people as possible to give as broader insight into the subject area as possible and a wide range of unique and individual opinions on the matter.

Any feedback from the users of this forum on any problems or difficulties of any kind no matter how big or small that they have faced or encountered when gardening or doing any activities in the garden would be greatly appreciated and be a very worthy contribution to eventually designing and developing a useful piece of gardening equipment designed with the wants and needs of the user in mind.

Thank you
Michael Reznor. BSc (Hons)

Email: -
alanahapartridge@hotmail.com

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Storage for tools, overwintering tender temperate plants, moving quantities of material about the yard, turfing and digging beds...

Michael, the list goes on and on but those are my current biggies...

You heard the man...complain away! A bona fide chance to gripe about your garden woes! He asked for it...

The Helpful Gardener

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

suggestions

OK, I have a pinched nerve in the shoulder of my dominant hand, resulting in paid and numbness all down my arm and hand. How about a universal pruner (anvil and bypass)? I'm hoping this isn't permanent, so I don't want to spend big bucks on lefty-only items. And, make stuff for small adult hands. My sister is a short little thing, 5', and hand size too big for kiddie gloves and tools, and too small/short for adult stuff. Very frustrating. There you go. Good luck.
Happy Gardening,
Wing

Trent
Newly Registered

Hi every one
Thanks for the replies the feedback will be useful.

One area that has come to my attention is composting and compost bins.
I have researched this and it seems 20% of household garden waste is thrown out and goes into landfill releasing greenhouse gasses when it could be composted in the garden
I am potentially going to develop a composting "system" for use in the kitchen and garden to combat this

Does any one have any experience or criticisms of existing compost bins?

Thanks

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

My rotating one is helpful (and quick), but temps get so high that many beneficial organisms don't make it...

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”