sagedavis

seeding peppers?

I have a nice little pepper plant, Not sure exactly which type of pepper but it's a small round "pea size" pepper that is produced, which I got from a friend of mine.

I like the taste of these peppers, but, I am not sure how to get these plants to grow each year?

Do I split one open and plant the seeds?
Should I wait until they are ripe (Bright orange to red), or should I use a green one of the peppers to plant?

I can get you a picture if you need some more specifics, I would assume that the process would be the same for most any type of pepper?

Do I need to wash the seed with soap or any of that good stuff?

Thanks
Sage

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Sage,

Peppers are one of the easiest seeds to save. Just allow a few fruits to become fully ripened and remove the seeds. They are pretty dry already and just need to be dried a bit more before you store them away until next year. I usually start my Peppers a few weeks before my Tomatoes as the plants take a little longer.

Norm

sagedavis

Norm,
Thanks for the reply,
As I have mentioned in other posts, I am still new to gardening, I will be building several areas this winter for planting different things, and one thing that is on the list is peppers.... the ones I have are great ones, but, I also will be getting something with a little more kick, say from the ceyan family....

Knowing how to save seeds is a great way not to have to buy every year.

WHERE should they be stored?
Should they get plenty of air, or no air at all in a dry place?
Thanks again.
Sage

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Sage,

Once they are thoroughly dried for storage keep them in an airtight container in a cool location. I like to include one of those Silica gel packs that seem to come in ever thing today from medication to beef jerky. This absorbs any moisture that may exit the seeds in storage.

Norm

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”