Flowers

How To Get Big Red Traps On Venus Fly Trap?

I don't know what more to say, I'm just wondering how I can encourage my Venus Fly Traps to grow nice big red traps (right now, they're pretty small and green).

I keep the soil moist and I'm experimenting with bottom watering on one. I mist them daily for humidity. I try to give them as much light as possible, and I let them catch their own bugs (mostly because I can never find any to give them here in the house, hopefully I'll start finding more as the weather warms up).

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I think that salts tend to build up in the potting medium. Several years ago I switched to flooding the container such that a good bit of water runs through. I believe that this flushes the salts. One thing for sure, ever since, my plants have gotten large and make big traps. As to red, my North Carolina source used to sell red varieties. Maybe you just need to find plants that have more red pigment than is in the more green varieties. Lastly, make sure that your medium drains well, like one part sharp sand or perlite to one part peat. The plant like to be constantly moist but not soggy.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”