ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Adding Regional Info Helps Members Receive Best Answers

IDK where to post this. MODS feel free to move to a more appropriate forum. Preferably where it will get the most exposure.

To Members new and old.

My greatest frustration is not being able to give region specific information because I have NO information. USDA growing zone is not even close to region specific. The actual growing conditions within a USDA zone vary greatly from state to state.

PLEASE - provide a county and state in your profile.

I really like to do research, especially for new members, but I can not unless I have more specific information. By updating your profile to include your county and state you will receive much better information and advice.

When a member asks about what to plant and when to plant how can I answer if I do not now where you are? Understand, that with few exceptions, there are multiple growing regions within each state.

Louisiana is not a large state but depending on what you are growing there are 3 or 4 growing regions.

My plea to all of you is to update your profile with your county and state.

Thank you.

webmaster
Site Admin

I have already updated the email members receive to include a request to update their profiles with a location. Since then we have more members including that information than ever before. But your point is important to impress on all members that it's to your benefit to include a hardiness zone or a location for where you are at because that will help you receive the best information that is specific to you.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Good subject!

I upgraded mine, a few days ago.

I noticed that within 20 miles of me, folks had totally different growing experiences than I do. How odd!

Then, I realized, I am 1,000 feet higher than them, and I am within a half mile of the lake (as the crow flies) which is close enough to affect the environment that I grow in. Also, they have pavement, buildings etc... that all change the environment from my woodsy, higher elevation, lake enhanced growing area. They get spring growth along time before I do... warmth from the mass... buildings, pavement etc. But, they get hot a lot faster too. Some things are their benefit over me, sometimes I get the benefit... you know?

So, even within a county, or zone there can be many factors that affect the environment.

I am not comfortable naming my city, it is so small...

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I understand not wanting to post your city/town. There are a lot of crazy people out there. The risk are really low on this or any other gardening forum. Most of us use forum names so identity would require a creep to do a bit more research.

Yes there are people out there who could locate any one of us very easily. I guess the question is why would some predator want to prey on gardeners? We are not a high risk group.

My issue is to give the best information/advice possible. I don't need a city. A county and state would be sufficient.

Ozark Lady - the information about your elevation an your proximity to a lake is the kind of information I am talking about. As you pointed out your growing conditions are very unique and different than the growing conditions of areas very near you.

Those of you who have been around for a while know all about planting region specific vegetables, herbs, fruit trees, ornamental trees and landscaping plants.

My focus is on newer, less experienced members.

I take my membership in this forum very seriously. I try to provide the best advice/information possible. I enjoy doing research for members. I can not research without regional information.

I do not need your city or your street address. County and state are sufficient unless you have unusual conditions like Ozark Lady.

Bottom line: edit your profile and provide the most information you are comfortable with. The more information you provide the better response.

Sorry if I sound strident.

This forum means more to me than you can imagine.

It is a life line.

You have no idea how important you are to me - especially those of you who have been around awhile.

applestar
Mod

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the elevation for my area -- it's 95 feet.... :D

...oh wait... It's 59 feet, 88 feet or 95 feet, depending on which resource I'm looking at. :roll: Oh well, it's not a huge issue around here. This area is very flat except for a minor bump that is called something *hill* but it's even tall enough to deserve it. :lol:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

LMFAO

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”