A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

How To Grow Algae In Shallow Trays From Frozen Food?

1. Do I use dirt or water? I already have a starter culture of algae in a jar lid in dirt (I harvested from some of my over-watered pots :oops: ) so 2. how do I transfer to water if I use water? 3. Should I use water in some and dirt in others? 4. Which grows it faster? 5. If dirt, yard dirt or potting mix? Before you ask, :> , I am just growing algae for fun, plus once they die they can be added to plants as fertilizer, even though dead algae stink of sewers to high heaven :D . 6. Do algae like stagnant water? They didn't grow in my hydro system, which is just a box of water with floating plant trays in it, no circulation. 7. How do I remove a single alga? 8. Is it possible to remove a single alga? 9. Should I add fertilizer to the dirt/water? I know this is a lot of questions so no one member has to answer them all, just answer as many as you want. I have numbered them for convenient answering.

imafan26
Mod

I don't know why you want to do this, but if your city water contains algae, all you have to do is get a gallon jug of water and fill it with unclorinated tap water. I guess you could use stream water if your streams have algae. Leave the jar out in the sun. It takes a few months but algae will grow inside the bottle. The water is stagnant so it will stink when it is opened.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Oh ok. My tap water has no algae, and neither does my stream. But as I said, I have a culture of algae in dirt. I could try to transfer the culture to a jug.

applestar
Mod

Use de-chlorinated or rain water. Keep container in sunny or brightly lit area. Adding a little fertilizer -- very weak probably would encourage growth.

#7 I'm not sure if you can segregate a clump of filamentous algae to something you would call "single algae" -- you would probably need a microscope and very delicate touch.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”