A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

How To Grow Algae In Shallow Trays From Frozen Food?

1. Do I use dirt or water? I already have a starter culture of algae in a jar lid in dirt (I harvested from some of my over-watered pots :oops: ) so 2. how do I transfer to water if I use water? 3. Should I use water in some and dirt in others? 4. Which grows it faster? 5. If dirt, yard dirt or potting mix? Before you ask, :> , I am just growing algae for fun, plus once they die they can be added to plants as fertilizer, even though dead algae stink of sewers to high heaven :D . 6. Do algae like stagnant water? They didn't grow in my hydro system, which is just a box of water with floating plant trays in it, no circulation. 7. How do I remove a single alga? 8. Is it possible to remove a single alga? 9. Should I add fertilizer to the dirt/water? I know this is a lot of questions so no one member has to answer them all, just answer as many as you want. I have numbered them for convenient answering.
When I wait 3 months for my mango seedling to sprout, and then it damps off.
:evil:

imafan26
Mod

Re: How To Grow Algae In Shallow Trays From Frozen Food?

I don't know why you want to do this, but if your city water contains algae, all you have to do is get a gallon jug of water and fill it with unclorinated tap water. I guess you could use stream water if your streams have algae. Leave the jar out in the sun. It takes a few months but algae will grow inside the bottle. The water is stagnant so it will stink when it is opened.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Oh ok. My tap water has no algae, and neither does my stream. But as I said, I have a culture of algae in dirt. I could try to transfer the culture to a jug.
When I wait 3 months for my mango seedling to sprout, and then it damps off.
:evil:

applestar
Mod

Use de-chlorinated or rain water. Keep container in sunny or brightly lit area. Adding a little fertilizer -- very weak probably would encourage growth.

#7 I'm not sure if you can segregate a clump of filamentous algae to something you would call "single algae" -- you would probably need a microscope and very delicate touch.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”