prideofbaghdad
Newly Registered

Useful or useless mulch?

Hello all

I have a little conundrum which I was hoping you could give me a hand with. A family member has recently had a titanic clearing session in their rather large garden, and from the multitudes of felled trees has produced a healthy volume of woodchip "mulch". Now, I've little real experience when it comes to tinkering with my perennials and petunias so I'm not entirely sure whether this stuff is of any genuine use in anyone's gardens? My relative wants to sell it off as they have amassed around 40 bulk bags worth of the stuff. But I'm not sure as to the consistency and quality of it all relative to a commercial product and thus its usefulness: The bags contain a general mix of ash, cherry, pair and apple. Bags range from about 2 years in age up to approximately 6 months. They have been stored in bulk bags and have taken on water without much movement.

Do any of you fine people have any idea whether or not this would be useful in any kind of horticultural/agricultural application as a mulch or as humus?

Tah very much like, Pride.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, should make very nice mulch, especially for perennials and around trees and shrubs, and especially the more aged stuff, which will be partly broken down already, which is a good thing.

If you want to use it for veggies/ annuals, mix or layer it with "greens" like grass clippings, yard trimmings, pulled weeds, to add some nitrogen and help it compost down better.

The purpose of mulch is two-fold: by covering the soil, it conserves moisture and then it breaks down and helps feed the soil. Your ground up trees will do both of those just fine. That is what I use. I have a wood chipper and grind up downed branches, etc (mine's the small home version and won't grind up trees).

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

especially if the mulch is chipped smaller branches, as opposed to tree-trunks. I've definitely seen hardwood 'ramial' woodchips referred to as a sought-after mulch for orchards in particular.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”