danielg
Newly Registered

Color Changing Flowers

Has anyone ever heard of color changing Petunias? I found this cool crowdfunding project on IndieGoGo that is developing color changing flowers using biotechnology.

link to the project: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/colo ... ng-flowers

Mr green
Green Thumb

This has been done for a long period of time for example to make blue orchids. And are not exactly color changing. Is like selling your house as a color changing house simply because you can repaint it as you like. I would like to see people buy 3 different kinds of petunias with colours they like instead. If your lazy you will end up with white petunias anyway.

Also this is your first post on this forum, might be so that your one of the persons or related to the ones behind the project?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know that this has been done before; it's not like putting a flower stem in dye so it sucks up the color. These flowers are actually changing themselves. It seems like really cool technology. But I don't particularly see the point of it, other than to say gee whiz, look what I can do. I don't particularly get bored with my purple petunias and wish they were some other color....

Mr green
Green Thumb

Oh yeah you seem right about that now that I read abit more on it rainbowgardener.
Then are they manipulating genetics just like monsanto? If thats the case I'm highly against it. Or could I water any white petunia with beer and will turn purple?

If they get 150k they claim will deliver a petunia that smells vanilla, and for what reason...

They also state: "We are devoted to using safe biotechnology practices, and preventing the unintended spread of these strains. We will not release a plant unless we are convinced that it is safe-- for people and for the environment." Monsanto is saying the exact same things about their crops, they even have their own research/science to prove it. Yes their own... As will these people.

I'm a lot sceptic.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No you can't water a white petunia with beer or anything else and have it change color. But to the (limited) extent that I understand this, they are not exactly doing genetic modification like Monsanto, but more figuring out how to change conditions on a sub-cellular level. But the part about keying the reactions to the circadian rhythm so that it keeps changing through the day is pretty fuzzy to me. Not clear to me if that is GMO or not... But it seems like very high tech stuff for a trivial result.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Thanks for that rainbowgardener, for me you summed it up better than the whole article.
Yeah wonder what is the real agenda, what it can lead to, what do they really wanna achieve?

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”