seaellare
Cool Member

Solar Landscape Lights

I have a ? about them. I just bought some of the stake lights for my walkway, and I'm wondering how much sunlight they need to charge. On the paperwork that came with them, it just said keep them in full sun, and they will light for 8-10 hours. It says the more sun, brighter sun, the longer they will stay lit for. I read online that they need 2-3 hours of sun. Not sure - does anyone have any and know how much sunlight they get and/or need? Where they are now, they get about 3 hours of direct sun - but I can move them to the other side of the walkway where they will get 2 hours or so more. I'd rather not move them - like them where they are. I just put them out today, so that's why I don't know how long they need direct sun for. I tried looking online, but couldn't find anything...

Thanks in advance!
Christine

Jess
Greener Thumb

Yes I have some.

It may depend on the make but mine seem to do fine even if the sun doesn't shine. They don't give off much light though. Just a gentle glow.

I have found the brightest ones are the strings of diode lights with a cell at the end that you stick in the ground where it is sunniest. You can wrap them through shrubs etc. I have put some in my gazebo which is right at the back of my garden rather than installing outside electrics and it looks very romantic as they are blue but in the rest of my garden I have strung the white one. We got them on Ebay.

seaellare
Cool Member

Thanks, Jess!

Glad to hear they work without much sun - and, actually, mine will get more sun than I originally thought. They are about 2" away from the shade from the house! They have full sun from about 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. or so. At about 2 p.m., the sun is down far enough in back of my house that the overhang casts a shadow - which stops just before the lights! Couldn't have planned it any better if I tried!! :)

I just looked at the lights you mentioned on ebay - how neat! I'm thinking Christmas lights... :)

Jess
Greener Thumb

Did they work? How bright are your lights?

Diodes sounds good for Xmas lights. I will just have to move mine from back garden to front and no wires hanging out windows! Excellent idea! :D

seaellare
Cool Member

They did work, but I am not sure how long they worked for! I figured the first day or 2, they'd not be as strong as they should be. They all did light the first night, but one of them died after only a couple hours! Same thing last night - when we got home around 10 pm, one was out but the others looked great. I was going to check the battery on that one, make sure the contact was good and the light had like 4 slugs on it!! EEEEEEEWWWWWWW! So - I waited until this morning, took it apart, everything looked good. When I covered the solar panel, the light lit but dimmed within 2 seconds. I'm hoping this is just because the battery may not have gotten charged, rather than it may be a faulty light. We shall see :)

Thanks for asking!!

Oh - and the lights do have the diode thing - LED, they are the white not the amber - really bright, I love them!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”