shauny37
Newly Registered

powerful weed killer

am trying to find a powerful weed killer.
my garden used to be waste land, so I hired a digger in turned it all over and raked it, then shortly after that the weeds started to grow so put some weed killer on which seem to kill some . was told to let them grow THEN put the killer on but they just kept growing like jack and the bean stalk.

there was lots of nettles 2 types and something that grew nearly 6ft tall.
so strimmed them all down.
is there anything I can put down to kill them all of so next year I can plant grass seed.do I have to let them grow agin first.
am a novice a t gardining.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi shauny :D

Firstly can you check pics on the web for the 6ft weed you mentioned and tell me if it is Japanese knotweed. After that I will give you suggestions.

shauny37
Newly Registered

think there was some of that there but not the tall one.
there was lots of different types and some had white flowers on.

what I was wantingto do was just cover the whole garden to kill everything of, then next year plant some grass seed.

have heard vinigar is good also flaming and red diesel.
are these ok or is there anything stronger,and can I put anything down now that I have strimmed it.
as you can tell I am no good with gardens.

Jess
Greener Thumb

The reason I asked about the knotweed is it is a notifiable weed and you have to report it if it is growing on your land. It is a thug and virtually indestructable. Any piece broken off will reshoot and it cannot be burnt or treated with retail strength herbicides to kill it. You can be fined if it is not reported and you have been found to have caused it to spread either by recycling it or dumping it.

If this is not growing on your ground then your best course of action would be to cover the area for at least 6 months with thick dark plastic or synthetic carpet. If you use round up (glyphosate) it will only kill what is green at the moment and any weed seeds that you have exposed by using the digger will still grow. There is also the question of residual poison staying in the ground for several years that will affect ANY planting you do in that area nevermind the affect it would have on the health of your soil. Flaming won't work. It will not kill any deep roots and red diesel is not only a hazardous substance to work with but also a major pollutant and its high sulphur content will turn your ground acidic so the grass won't grow anyway!
When you come to planting grass seed or turfing try to disturb the soil as little as is necessary and this should prevent too many weeds from growing.

shauny37
Newly Registered

thanks for that, don't think there was any knotweed.
I have some black visqeen so might put that down.

will let you know how I get on.

cheers

shaun

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”