gnat

Greenhouses - DIY?

So I'm thinking about making a greenhouse, as my husband gets very stressed out with the "jungle" that we have for a few months in our house as my tomato and pepper plants get huge. I live in zone 7A so it is tricky to get our stuff ready for planting, which sometimes can't happen until June. As a general rule the third week of May is what people do here, however, I check the forecast for overnight temps, and I'm not always comfortable with that for things like my tommies and pepps.

Anyway, I start growing in Jan and Feb and of course room is an issue. My concern with doing a greenhouse outside is making sure that the temperature is still warm enough overnight as well as me opening it up to water. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I'm looking for cheap cheap of course, as I don't have lots of funds to invest in a fancy dancy greenhouse which is why I'm looking to make something with the proper plastic.

Thanks for any help. I grow hundreds of many things, veggies and flowers and it gets bad in the house...they become my babies so I really would like to have my cake and eat it too...poor hubbie!! :(

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Hi! We made a Hoop House last year..I can send you some of our progress last year in making it, look up designs on Youtube as well!

https://www.purplegoo.ca/index.php/start ... oop-house/
https://www.purplegoo.ca/index.php/putti ... oop-house/
https://www.purplegoo.ca/index.php/hoop-house-progress/

Good luck in your design!

Happy gardening!

Kim

gnat

How was it for overnight temps and opening it up for watering? It's pretty cool here until may and june

gnat

Anyone?

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Hi!

Today our greenhouse got up to 35C and soil temperature would have equalized but we removed our trays when the soil got up to 31C. Outdoor temperature was 18C today and sunny! We could easily have our peppers and tomatoes outside in our greenhouse during the day just not over night as it is still dipping down to freezing. With a heat mat under our flower trays the soil stays 5C overnight even with a light frost.

Good luck! Look forward to hearing your results!

Kim and Morgyn :-()

catgrass
Green Thumb

I was recently given a greenhouse by a neighbor, and I love it. Before that, I was planning on making a basic one. Some of the seed catalogs have kits that you can purchase that will give you a little print to follow, and the basic joints, along with what lumber to buy for framing. Then just make your walls and roof with fiberglass/plastic panels you can get from a lumber yard. Very basic and should work fine. Lee Valley Gardening has a lot of useful stuff. Or you can check on-line for greenhouse kits.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Nice hoop greenhouse. The single plastic can be a problem if the night temp gets to under 30 degrees. I suggest 200 gallons of water storage that will help keep the heat down during the day and stop it from getting to cold at night the water can also be used to water plants.
. Double plastic works best till it warms sum! also the double layer must be separated a inch or so and rope or heavy twine.. will work over the pipe for the second layer. Bubble plastic also is a good way to be more insulated. Get a 2 foot by 30 bubble plastic and cut it into 4 inch withs by 30 and put it over the plastic pipe to separate the second layer.

Another suggestion is a board a foot up on one length with a wire mesh or screen connected to it to the ground support. When it gets hot roll up the plastic to the foot board while the screen protects from animals. you can even staple the plastic to the upper board! Clamp the board to the plastic pipe which will make it stronger also! All my greenhouses are done with 2 b4s and have been up for 6 years now! I just buy a 20 by 100 6 mill plastic every year for $60 and cover all three with double plastic. I like to use a thinner 4 mill inside! Hope this gives you some ideas! I also like to plant vine crops on the border of the greenhouse with chicken wire over the outside wall! My favorites ARE runner beans and sugar peas!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”