NJ Bob
Cool Member

Hens & Chicks?

Hi. I don't know if I'm in the right spot but I'm wondering if anyone here has experience starting hens & chicks from seed. Is it possible?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We do have a Cactus and Succulents section, but this is fine.

Sorry, you didn't get a response. I haven't started them from seed, but apparently no one else has either, so I will tell you what I have read about it.

Start by reading the seed starting basics thread. https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 48&t=44183

You will have best results if you can start your seeds indoors with lights and a heat mat. The only thing that would be different about the hens and chicks vs other seeds is that even as seeds and seedlings they really don't want too much water. So plant them in cactus mix, not regular potting soil or seed starting mix. They need light for germination, so just sprinkle the seed on the surface of moist cactus mix and press them lightly to be sure they are in contact with the soil. Then just mist the seeds daily to be sure they don't dry out. Once they are sprouted, you can continue to water only by misting.

Let us know how it works out for you.

NJ Bob
Cool Member

Thanks for the reply rainbow. I'd like to give this a try. Now I need to go find me some seed. :D

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”