Sierra_And_Foxtrot
Newly Registered

What's killing my Shamrock? (pic heavy)

Hi guys,

I have had a shamrock plant for nearly 5 years now but in April 2014 something bad happened and the plant's health plummeted.

(Pictures from April before it's health declined)

I don't know whats wrong. When the plant's health declined I changed it's container and soil (I did not clean the roots however). I have searched the plant and cannot find any bugs, and I do not fertilize with anything except for a very low concentration of worm castings and compost from the bin.

I'd like to know what this is and how to get rid of it. The new leaves are coming out of the soil already crumpled and damaged looking and often already exhibit the spots by the time they open. I've been ruthless in taking off the worst of the leaves and the spotting does seem to be getting better but it's still there.

How do I save my friend? I am happy to take more pictures.
It lives in front of an East facing window, the same one it's lived in front of it's whole life. Temperature is consistent between 18°C and 20°C in this area (even in summer/winter). I give it water from the tap as I have always done (even when it was at the peak of it's health).

I know they tend to go into dormancy right around now but this plant has had these crumbled leaves and spots for months now, something not associated with it going into dormancy. It is also flowering, which worries me.

I will note that after 2014's St. Patricks day I went out and bought 3 shamrocks from the same store I originally bought this one from. They died within several months exhibiting the same problem my plant is now showing. I feel that my shamrock might have contracted whatever this is from those 3 plants.

The spots are silvery, straight through to the underside of the leaf and look to me like dry spots. The plant is not dehydrated nor is it soaked in water. I have been watering it the exact same way for 4 years without this problem.

I thank anyone who can offer me help.

Bottom (of the leaf above)
You can see even the young leaves come out crumpled already

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”