Using mothballs

Some years back mothballs were used in gardening to repel not only certain insects but yes, even the neighbors cat. At that time I had just purchased several boxes of mothballs for insect use when an alert came from some gov. agency about their danger by way of TV and I believe thru the Master Gardener Program. I couldn't find any agency willing to even take them off my hands. Mothballs production was supposed to be banned but evidently not if someone suggested their use to keep cats out of houseplants. Older garden print sources, still in circulation, probably mention other uses for mothballs. Just a reminder to gardeners to go to google, type in ~mothballs~, and read several of the links warning of the probable dangers of using this product. Possibly a poster to this forum has more current information.

webmaster
Site Admin

Wow, thanks for that information. I'm going to do some research on that. Do you know if there's a specific chemical in mothballs that is responsible? I'm wondering if mothballs currently on the market might be reformulated to be safe.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hey Guys! I just Googled this one and it's another one of those "it depends who you talk to" things. Here are some quotes:

" Don't use mothballs made of paradichlorobenzene--the warning label cautions against "prolonged breathing of vapor," but how can you use mothballs without breathing their vapor? The odor of mothballs hidden in a closet can permeate your entire home and increase to high levels if there is not adequate ventilation. The vapors from mothballs are also absorbed by clothing and blankets, and can be very strong when you use these items."

"There are two different formulations for mothballs. One is NAPHTHLALENE and the other is PARADICHLOROBENZENE. Both are potentially very toxic. The naphthalene type is more toxic. Both vaporize to produce fumes wich can cause toxic effects on the central nervous system (possible seizures) and the liver. Naphthalene can also cause blood disorders (eg hemolytic anemia). "

"Diaper pail deodorizers also contain paradochlorobenzene."

"Mothballs should not be used around birds. Exposures to high concentrations of vapours of mothballs by humans, especially young children, can also result in toxicity"
And then there are these:

"Refined Naphthalene in a flaked form works best for getting into those hard to reach places. Works effectively against moth infestations."

You can also buy two boxes of mothballs on E-Bay for $5.00.

Oh, and by the way, apparently there is a really hot band out name "Mothballs"? :roll:

There doesn't appear to be a "safer" version out there. I guess I should tell my mother she should get rid of hers, and now I can say it's not just because of the smell!! :roll:
VAL

rosie6950
Newly Registered

:?: I am looking for all the uses for mothballs that is out there. Like if they halp with bug control in the house and ect. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :idea:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the forum Rosie! Mothballs are used for pesticide, deodorant, and anticeptic purposes. You could find the same stuff in toilet bowl and diaper pail deodorizors. In the past, it was mainly used as a moth and mildew killer when things were put into storage.

Now people use them to repel animals and rodents, remove pet urine odors in carpets, treat fleas on dogs, and I have even heard of plumbers flushing boxes of them down sewers to prevent tree roots.

As mentioned in previous posts, mothballs are proving to be more dangerous than first realized, and many people don't use them anymore, and they are quite difficult to purchase at times.
Hope this is the kind of information you were looking for! Feel free to drop in to the forum again! :wink:
VAL

rosie6950
Newly Registered

I would like more info on how to use them for fleason dogs and any where esle.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I would reccomend not using mothballs for application to your pets:

Here is some Health and safety information on naphthalene (the main ingredient in mothballs):

Toxic by inhalation or ingestion

Harmful by inhalation
Harmful if swallowed
Harmful if contacted with skin
Irritating to eyes
Irritating to respiratory system
Irritating to skin
May cause sensitization to skin contact
Carcinogen (causes cancer)

Technically speaking Napththalene is an organic compound (two alkene rings) but, not all organic compounds are favourable.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Right on Opa! The old mothballs used to be made of Camphor, and there are now ones made of naphthalene, but there are also another type made out of Paradichlorobenzene.
However, as previously discussed above in this thread, there is no "better" scenario. They are all bad. However, that doesn't mean that people are listening to that, and aren't still using them for all of these things! :roll:

So Rosie, if you are looking for more information regarding mothballs, just go to Google and type in Mothballs. It's all right there for you! :wink:
VAL

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”