JC's Garden

Got the jitters

I have a lot going on right now and I haven't been posting much lately. I've been helping my 'personal chef' wife (yep, I can cook, grill, fetch and tote), planting my fall garden and getting ready to teach a class called "Organic Gardening For Beginners". I'm excited about teaching folks how to transition into organic gardening, I know it will help them put healthier food on their family's table. I'm even trying to get organic pest control going in a small south Georgia town. At 62 years of age, it feels good to be excited again. :) Wish me luck.

applestar
Mod

That sounds great! Be sure to tell them to start a compost pile. :wink:
Good luck! :D

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

DITTO Appestar on the composting.

Best of luck. You will be great. Your students will be infected by your passion. :-()

imafan26
Mod

Sounds like a wonderful job to teach others how to grow things organically. Share the knowledge and pass it on.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

This sounds great! If I may, add a few suggestions. Just FWIW, have taught weaving, demo'd natural dyeing, suggested on plants. For me the main thing is to show how to do something, and leave yourself outs. Such as, on weaving, others warp the loom different, this is my way. On plants, growing, styles, leave yourself wiggle room. That being, my way-or-hiway attitude can lose your people. Also listen. You may learn more tidbits from students/customers than from a book.
As for growing plants, I am leaning more to the addage that a plant wants to grow. Ignoring it or treating with the best organics may not make the difference. I have survivors and losers. That happens.
As a note, now I grow herbs, mostly in containers, over 15 varieties, sell fresh cut at the farmers market, and getting deeper into having plant starts. Keep dialog open, it is amazing what one picks up from customers.
Most of all, have fun!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Let them know that continuing to interact with other gardeners is an enormous PLUS.

They may form their own "support group" and share as they go along. Communication leads to better gardening. There is no way to know all there is to know.

It is not as geographically close and yet, not necessarily a lesser choice - online community and communication helps, too! They might even name something like that "helpfulgardener.com"

;) Steve

JC's Garden

Thanks guys.
This time of year, composting is first on the list. :wink: Can't waste those browns.
I'm not a "My way or the highway" kind of guy. My goal is to help the students improve their quality of life. Only they can determine the best approach for their gardening situation. My job is to provide information and teach them the skills they will need.
I have several demos planed. Hands on teaching is a great way to learn.
A local hardware store has agreed to bring in some of the hard to find organic supplies we will need. This a small town and that was a big relief. The managers daughter has even singed up for the class.
Got everything lined up. It will be a good experience for them and me.
Thanks again guys. :)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”