tomf
Super Green Thumb

What yard tools do you find you use the most?

I am always interested in seeing what people are using and like, and why. Of course this all depends upon the job you need to do at the time you use them. So what are the tools you use the most? Also what tools do you have that are different, and how do they work? What tools do you have that you sometimes need and do the jobs they were made for well?

Having a bit of land to deal with I found that getting the professional tools is well worth it for me, but this is a what works for you topic, we all have different needs for tools.
For me the number one tool is a tractor and all the attachments that go on the back of it, I use the front end loader bucket so much that I have never taken it off; even though it has a quick detach system. I have 3 weed eaters but I only use the pro Sthil one, I have a number of attachments for it. With so much woods I also have a collection of chainsaws, there again I only use the Sthil ones. The only other brand of chain saw I would buy would be a Husqvarna. I mow with a 6' finish mower on the tractor, and have two riding mowers to do the edges. One is a JD, but if I was to buy a new one the Husqvarna look good.
Over time I have managed to collect a number of hand garden tools, some work better than others,
for hand tool I use a pointed hoe and a flat hoe the most. Each tool has it's use and therefore needed.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Photos would be nice if you have them, but not necessary, thanks.

applestar
Mod

I'm more of a non-power tool gardener in my smaller scale garden. :wink:

I think the tool I use THE MOST is hand pruners. When I step outside to the garden, I slip the pruners in my back pocket then put on my gardening boots, and when I come back inside, I take off the gardening boots then take the pruners out of my pocket.

My hand fork probably sees the next most amount of use for individual planting and digging, and for spot weeding I use a shedding rake and Japanese triangle headed hand weeder. For overgrown weeds and grass, the hand sickle sees a lot of use along with the stirrup hoe.

Among the long-handled digging tools, I would guess the most used is garden fork.

imafan26
Mod

I don't have an acre of land so I would have a hard time finding a place to park or even drive a tractor, but I can see why you would love it.

In the garden my weapon of choice is my hoe-matic. I don't use the cultivator end much except to pry things up but I use the hoe end for everything from digging planting holes, digging up weeds and fluffing small areas. It also doubles as a hammer.

Usually when I go out in the garden I bring my hoe-matic, hand pruners, loppers, and two buckets as my basic tools. I use one bucket for weeds if I don't bring a bag along and the other to carry the tools. If I put the weeds and the tools in the same bucket, sometimes I end up having to fish the tools out of the garbage can or in the case of weeders (which I don't miss) it goes with the trash. The bucket also doubles as a garden seat. Besides a couple of garbage bags, I like to keep a zip loc or two handy for picking off infected leaves, slugs or snails and I use the ziploc to collect dried seeds.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

I cant do without alcohol or Lysol wipes to clean tools between plants. Keeps down the spread of diseases that way.

imafan26
Mod

That's a good idea. I have an alcohol spray bottle but I use it mainly when I am cutting orchids or anthuriums or something funky, but I think I should add it to my list and have it handier. It is usually on my lanai/potting shed.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am going to add alchool to my list when I prune.

JC's Garden

image.jpg
I use these more than any other tool I have. Pruning, harvesting, tying up plants, making the tie strips, collecting seed, killing stink bugs, and on and on.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Good question. I always carry my leather garden gloves with me. Unfortunately I don't always put them on. Must have is a sharp pair of by-pass snips. I keep them sharp with my Dremel. Another must have is WD-40. Keeps my tools in good shape. I love my Cobra Head tool. I received it as a gift.

https://www.amazon.com/CobraHead-COBRAHE ... bra+weeder

G has a 3 bin bagger on his mower which is great for mulching leaves and collecting grass clippings for the compost bins.

My 10 tine pitch fork for turning compost. My wheel barrow for moving soil and compost.

2 very sharp shovels. Machete for cutting the banana plants.

Sharp by-pass loppers for shrub pruning. Electric limb saw for pruning the Oak tree.

My hand trucks. A large, steel pipe hand truck for moving huge pots an bags of soil. A smaller hand truck that collapses an fits in my trunk.

Electric leaf blower - can't start the gas blower. Need an electric or easy start weed eater. G has a good gas weed eater but I can not start it.

Pressure washer. The concrete patio is in constant need of attention. Have to do that when G is home because once again I can not start it.

5 gallon buckets. Watering can. Watering wand.

Hand tools are the most used.

I almost forgot the most used tools - my hands.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”