Monkeygurl
Newly Registered

Frost Proof Gardenia Advice - OUTDOORS Advice!

Heya,

So I hate posting another topic - but this is a little different.

I got two Frost Proof Gardenia (3 Gallons) which apparently are a zone 7-10. I live in a zone 6B... so I'm pushing it... I need advice for successfully growing it OUTDOORS. I plan on planting it within the next few days

From my understanding, it's best to plant it somewhere where the Northwest winds are minimal. Now our garden has a fabric covering then rocks on top. I'm considering adding some mulch under the fabric for additional freezing (to help the roots more gradually freeze/thaw - shielding). I'm also considering covering the plants... I really don't know

Any advice on keeping it alive/helping it flourish is appreciated!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

well, unfortunately, my best advice would be to plant it in the SPRING. Spring planted gives it the whole season to put down deep roots and get well established to be ready for the rigors of winter. If it were me, I would pot it up and bring it in for the winter when it starts getting cold and then plant it in the ground next year.

Otherwise you have already named all the ways I know for winter protection: keep the soil covered, plant it in a warmer micro climate area like near a south facing wall or at least with protection from cold winter winds, cover the plant once it is dormant, be sure you water deeply late in the season before a hard frost.

Then hope for a milder winter. There is winter and then there is WINTER like we had last year. I'm in zone 6 also, but last year we had a zone 5 winter and a lot of stuff didn't make it. Farmer's Almanac, which correctly predicted last year's harsh winter, is predicting more of the same for this coming winter. :(

""Shivery and shovelry are back. We're calling for some frigid conditions, bitter conditions," said managing editor Sandi Duncan.

The latest edition, which officially goes on sale this week, forecasts colder-than-normal and wetter-than-usual weather for three-quarters of the country east of the Rocky Mountains. Drought-stricken California, along with the Pacific Northwest, will see normal precipitation and cool temperatures this winter, the almanac said."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /14529295/

Monkeygurl
Newly Registered

Heya,

Thank you for your reply!!! So sounds like it would be in my best interest to keep both indoors at least until spring. If we have anything like last winter that's definitely death for both boths. I am considering planting one outdoors and another indoors (just to see how both fair).... my question changes to

For the indoor one:
I have a 3 Gallon Pot - the plant is relatively big too! I looked into them, they are relatively slow at growing,

Mature Height: 3-4 ft.
Mature Width: 3-6 ft.
Sunlight: Full - Partial

1- How big of a pot should I transplant it into?

2- Is regular potting soil okay to use?

3- Should I use fertilizer since it's an already big plant? It's not like I need to help it with a root booster if it's indoors.... though I'm unsure how large the roots are or how far they extend. I would like to see the flowers bloom - I hear they smell amazing!!!

Any other advice?

applestar
Mod

When you are bringing a borderline or just missed plants indoors for the winter, it's my experience that they can be difficult if kept too warm. If you can, try to find a brightly lit (or provide supplemental lights) cool zone that will remain closer to 60°F or less. Ground floor or basement... on the floor or just below a windowsill... away from heat vents, radiators, heat source... in a room furthest from the thermostat.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”