rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

feeding the world organically

Whenever I talk to middle Americans who don't understand much about organic gardening, the universal first response is something like that is nice for you, but of course we can't feed the world's billions organically. In fact, organic is becoming the only way we can feed the world. The petroleum and chem based way is becoming a dinosaur as what we have to do to get petroleum becomes more and more extreme, environmentally degrading and expensive (tar sands! fracking!). AND more and more insects, weeds etc become resistant to more and more chemicals. Here's one discussion from awhile back, about yields and productivity organically vs chemically: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... p?p=157592

I'm thinking about this now because this was just published:

"UN Report Says Small-Scale Organic Farming Only Way To Feed The World"

Even as the United States government continues to push for the use of more chemically-intensive and corporate-dominated farming methods such as GMOs and monoculture-based crops, the United Nations is once against sounding the alarm about the urgent need to return to (and develop) a more sustainable, natural and organic system.

That was the key point of a new publication from the UN Commission on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) titled “Trade and Environment Review 2013: Wake Up Before It’s Too Late,” which included contributions from more than 60 experts around the world.

https://www.technologywater.com/post/699 ... nly-way-to
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

As organic becomes more the norm, hopefully the prices will come down too.

Wombat

Interesting post. I've been using both permaculture and organic methods for over 25 years. Once you've established an integrated gardening system, both petrochemical fertilizers and poisons can be virtually eliminated from your patch. It can be a little more labor intensive especially when fruit and veggies are commercially grown, hence the higher prices for organically grown produce. Fracking is currently being conducted here in my home state, much to the displeasure of the local farmers.......hopefully they'll stay away from productive areas although I doubt it very much.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

When we used to do small scale, diversified organic farming in this country, which was really up until WWII (most of the chemicals in current use didn't exist before that), a lot higher percentage of our population were farmers. To go back to that, since these methods are more labor intensive, I think we would have to remove subsidies from huge agribusiness corporations and encourage/ make it possible for more people to make a living on family farms. A large percentage of our population is only 1-2 generations removed from the farm, we have at least 10 million unemployed people, and many people who left the farm for the city did it because they were forced off, not because they didn't like farming. I think helping them be able to go back and do what was traditional farming until 70 years ago, would solve a lot of different problems.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

This is indeed worthy of discussion. Small diversified farms are not always economically viable, and that is the biggest issue I think. Let's say sustainable, perhaps not certified organic.

I am with truck farmers every week at the farmers market. To break even, they have benefit of being on family land, have one partner working day job, early retired or have other boost. Just to make ends meet, not live high, the produce is pricey. For example $3/lb tomatoes. I may get a few heirlooms to eat fresh. The local chain produce store down the street has regionally grown fresh for 99c. And tomatoes for recipes? It's less than $1 for 14 oz can on any store shelf.

It is interesting that a few have worked non-profit type jobs with community & neighborhood gardens. Then get the itch, buy or have access to a few acres and go it alone. That kale, squash and tomatoes went from feeding lower end folks to high price/lb just to stay afloat.

Ideally we will have more truck farms outside of metro areas. This is very historic going back centuries. Just in our US history, there were truck farms around the cities. Farmers brought the produce, eggs, chickens etc in on market days. Then there were more mono-type farms with acreage, products being wheat, corn, cotton etc.

Just some thoughts.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Bringing this topic back, because I've been reading a lot about regenerative agriculture lately. EG:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/soil-hea ... ac15d42f42 Headline:

Creating Healthy Soil Lessens The Impact Of Drought And Flooding. Will Farmers Support It?
Just this year, at least 10 states have introduced new soil management policies.

They never use the term regenerative agriculture, but that's what the healthy soil idea is.

It's a lot of the stuff we talk about around here, improving the tilth of your soil with lots of organics.. "Approaches to improving soil health include expanding the use of fall or winter cover crops, diversifying crop rotations, reducing tillage and using compost, manure, biochar or other soil amendments. " Benefits include helping protect against both drought and flood/excess rain (both becoming more common these days). AND also
When soil is healthy, it can hold a lot more water and drain better, but it also can be part of the climate solution,” said Karen Perry Stillerman, a senior analyst with the nonprofit.

Healthy soil can store more carbon; absorb water like a sponge before becoming saturated, making it more resilient in a dry year; and improve water quality by retaining more water, which reduces runoff from cropland. Healthy soil goes further in meeting the needs of a growing population and food production.
Go Helpful Gardener!! We are helping to promote exactly what the planet needs! :D

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”