applestar
Mod

We are good to go...

...maybe I watch too much TV.

"We are good to go." -- I keep hearing that in my head.

I have learned after quite a few costly and forehead slapping, head banging mistakes over the years -wall- that when pruning, a visual confirmation of exactly what you will be cutting with the pruning tool is essential. Too many times, I have cut by feel or what *looked* like where the branch or vine or leaf would be growing from behind something obscuring it, only to discover that I managed to cut off the main vine or the better or the healthy branch, etc.

So just when I'm about to prune off a diseased tomato or cucumber leaf, or an apple branch, or snip a fruit stem to harvest, a voice sounds in my head -- usually a sort of impersonal, officious voice -- it's sometimes female and sometimes male -- I don't know why... (lately, it's sometimes Mission Control's southern drawl from Oblivion :> )

"Do you have visual confirmation?"

... I stop, ease the pressure on the grip of the pruners or pruning saw ... (Do I *HAVE* visual confirmation?) Most of the time I do -- I already looked.... But sometimes, I realize I didn't :oops: --- There's a leaf in my face or something is covering/obscuring the point where I'm about to cut. So push that away, get an actual look at WHERE I am going to cut,

...then... "We HAVE visual confirmation. We HAVE visual confirmation."
"We are good to go."
..."WE ARE GOOD TO GO."

...except the last is always in Jodie Foster's slightly desperate voice in Contact when the mission is aborted the first time. :lol:

...yep... Too much TV. :roll:

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Hahaha! I can't say I've heard Jodie Foster speaking to me in the garden, but I've definitely had those forehead slapping moments. "Ugh, what did I do!" Maybe I need to channel these voices to keep my impatience in check lol.

imafan26
Mod

I've cut a few cucumber main vines thinking they were leaves or suckers and I have broken many more trying to tie them up.

Even when I follow the vine and think I have the right one, once in a while I miss the mark entirely.

DDMcKenna

Great story and great information. I think that's good info for a lot of occupations.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”