Green Fingers
Newly Registered

What type of vine should I use for this?

Hello!

I have a steel cubic sculpture and wonder if there are any species of vine that would be suitable for growing on it, so it appears like a cubic trellis.

Here is a picture of the steel cubic trellis:
IMG_20140424_190025.jpg
Heres a little video showing how its intended to be setup outdoors:

https://vimeo.com/92377069

I am hoping there is a species of vine that is tightly woven so it is able to accentuate the cubic form and also cover and hide the steel frame so it eventually looks like a cubic plant!

Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Depending on where you are, I would vote for Grape. You would run string uprights for the plants to climb. Have you done this before, or is the trial?..

Richard

Green Fingers
Newly Registered

Yes this is the test. Grape seems to be too bulky, is there a creeper vine with smaller tighter foliage?

applestar
Mod

Plant suggestion can't be made without knowing geographical location, type of soil, and sun exposure. Is it meant to be a perennial? Annual? Evergreen?

Green Fingers
Newly Registered

Its intended to be an outdoor sculptural piece over a long period of time. Location will most likely be Melbourne, Australia, potentially in a good soil location such as a winery.

applestar
Mod

Would you put wire netting on the open areas of frame? This would be the typical ivy sculpture/topiary substructure to support the vines.

If for instance some of the smaller cubes were then filled with growing medium, then the ivy would have several places to root from.

There are many creeping ground cover type plants that could grow like this.

...or are you looking for something with very long growing vines?

I think you would be looking for something that responds well to close pruning like topiary.

Are you thinking single species for the entire sculpture, or cubes of different species? Plants can have different shades of green foliage, variegated green and white, or multi color foliage. Or what about something that flowers -- masses of blossoms one time during the year, or sprinkled here and there throughout the growing season? Something that bears Fruits/berries? What about winter foliage color? ...and fragrant foliage or flower...

applestar
Mod

I know this isn't what you are looking for, but this topic reminded me of these wisteria photos... :>
Subject: Vine For Chain Link Fence
applestar wrote:Here's one that ate half of a barn and the attached silo....
Here's my mom standing next to it for scale comparison:
It's been torn down but it was quite a sight and gorgeous in flower each spring.
OK I'll go back to thinking about yours. :wink:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”