waynf
Newly Registered

Anthills in lawn

Ant hills in lawn. What can be done about them?

waynf

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Cuss a lot? Use them as stress relief by kicking them back into the grass? But not barefoot (yikes!). IMO if they're not in the house, I don't care. Get a pet anteater (are they even legal, in any state)? OK, time for some real suggestions--obviously I don't have any. :lol: Rotsa ruck.
Wingdesigner

waynf
Newly Registered

Anthills in Lawn

Well something needs to be done. I've tried lemon juice to no avail, and I know that gasoline will work, but not ecological sound practice to consider. I keep forgetting where they are and when i run over them with lawnmower, i've stalled out on a number of occasions. As a matter of fact I have one at the end of my field which measures approximately 2 feet high and 5 feet in diameter.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Whoa! :shock: That's much bigger than I was imagining--that's National Geographic size! Maybe vinegar? A few gallons? Is there a parasitic wasp for those guys? Or a strain of BT? I still think a nice pair of anteaters would love to come live with you, set up housekeeping, have a family... Rotsa ruck.

Wing

dorothydot

Hubby swears by his spritzing bottle filled with water and.. Pine Sol! May take several applications, but it most certainly cuts way down on the ant population around here.

I personally use vinegar in a spritz bottle when I'm pulling weeds. That way those little &(&* s don't come swarming out at me when I mess with their home weeds.

A book once recommended pouring boiling water down their holes.

Gasoline down the hole then light it? No wait! - that's for yellow jackets and ground bees.

waynf
Newly Registered

Anthills in Lawn

I never disturb the big anthill, because I worry about groundbees having made quite a home in that hill.

By the way, best thing for bees and yellowjackets is diesel fuel, and you don't have to light it, something in it just burns them, you can hear them crackling.

This posting is getting to be quite violent it seems, however I will try going the "Pine Sol" route.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

yellowjackets in the compost bin

Ewww! Any suggestions for getting yellowjackets out of my compost pile. I didn't turn it for a month and they moved in. I've tried leaving the top off so they get rained on, but that didn't work. Since it's compost, I don't want to use chemicals or fuel. Any suggestions?

waynf
Newly Registered

Ant hills in lawn

I'm not sure at all what you can do organically, but I have quite a collection of "Rodale's Organic Gardening books, the old ones, the new ones aren't worth the paper they're written on it seems, and I will look into it, and see what I can find.

waynf
Newly Registered

Ants in Lawn

Re yellowjackets in compost heap, perhaps instead of pouring diesel fuel over compost heap, you could just have it in a small container near the compost, as I had a beesnest in my log cabin a few years ago inderneath a chair, and we threw diesel fuel on nest, but for three years after the smell of the diesel fuel remained to some extent, and as long as the smell was there, no bees around. So the smell seems to ward them off

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Thanks, wayne--I didn't mean to hijack your thread--good luck w/those anthills.

Happy Gardening.
Wing

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Any luck getting rid of them yet? My yellowjackets are compost! Is there a way to bait the hills so the worker ants take the food back to the queen and larvae? Kill the queen and future queens, kill the colony; I think. I know there are immature queens in a colony, just in case the real one dies, so you'd have to have enough bait to go around. No, I don't know any names of the stuff, sorry. Good luck.
Wing

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”