freedhardwoods

I Bought Another Troybilt Tiller

I bought my first Troybilt Horse direct from the factory in 1989 for $1600. It is still going strong with only regular maintenance. With the various chores I do with it and I also wanted a backup if I ever do have to make a serious repair on it, I decided to get another.

It's 40 years old (1974 model) and ugly, but overall is in very good shape. The previous owner replaced the original engine with a Briggs I/C; a strong, easy to work on engine. It came with the standard bolo tines and a set of "pick" tines

It had several loose bolts, some leaking seals and the bearings in the tine shaft and main drive shaft were loose and worn (which is why the seals were leaking) and the reverse disc needs to be replaced.

I rebuilt the tine shaft and pulled the transmission cover to check all the gears last weekend. Everything inside is in remarkably good shape. I still have to install the reverse clutch and pull the main drive shaft and install the bearings and seals. I'm also going to fabricate an engine guard so I don't damage the engine in some of my tight spots.

I gave $400 for it and will have another $100 in parts. New ones sell for over $2500. When I'm done, it should be all set for a few more decades. :()

16.jpg
16.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 759 times
15.jpg
15.jpg (32.37 KiB) Viewed 759 times
14.jpg
14.jpg (32.43 KiB) Viewed 759 times

JosephsGarden
Cool Member

Very Nice! What's the purpose of "pick tines"?

freedhardwoods

JosephsGarden wrote:What's the purpose of "pick tines"?
I had never heard of them before I got this tiller. I forgot to mention I got the cultivating tines also. It doesn't look like either set has been used. Here is what the manual says.
1.png
1.png (157.36 KiB) Viewed 742 times
2.png
2.png (92.88 KiB) Viewed 742 times

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”