sleepingciv

Where did all this grass come from?

So last few years there has been very little to no grass at all in either garden.
But before I knew it grass has over taken the gardens. The smaller one the corn has cam up. Seems bout right height so far.
The larger garden is another story. Nothing has came up that I can tell. The grass is so thick. It's like someone took a bag of grass seed and seeded my garden. Where did this grass come from?
I'm thinking of stripping it all out of large garden and replanting. Maybe melons and pumpkins and or squash.
Thanks.

sleepingciv

Forgot to add pics.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 886 times

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Till and cover. Cover with cardboard, newspaper, or brown packaging paper. Then cover with mulch. Mulch like straw or grass clippings...you name it. Dang near weed free.

JosephsGarden
Cool Member

sleepingciv wrote:Where did this grass come from?
Rhizome roots that you didn't weed out last growing season.

sleepingciv

Thanks fir the replies. Hue long will that take by yilling and covering up?

And it's just weird because there was barely any gas at all last year. Just a few weeds lol

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

As long as you mulch regularly, it will last and last!

A few weeds are resistant to mulching in my garden. Nutsedge and dandelion are two that will push through. Nuts edge is THE worst. Crabgrass will creep over it or poke through any hole in the protection ( like the planting hole).

But those are easily managed if done so regularly through the season. Much harder to manage when left to get out of hand.

Uncovered bare dirt WILL grow weeds. Lots of weeds. Not to mention it's harder for your garden to keep moisture and temperature regulated.

Use mulch. Mulch is my garden's BFFL. Particularly wheat straw and grass clippings.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”