micky
Newly Registered

Horticultural oil & inter-veinal water soaked spotting.

Hi, i used horticultural oil on a strelitzia(bird of paradise) i was given that had fine webbing suggesting mites and the following day it developed dark water soaked looking patches contained within the borders of the small leaf veins. This sort of looks similar to the early symptoms of angular leaf blight and i was wondering if anyone knew if it was the oil that caused the damage or if it is just exposing already damaged cells (possible fungus/bacteria) by soaking into damaged cells. It wasn't in the best of health when i was given it, marginal necrosis/ chlorosis and yellower than ideal. Thanks m.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi micky :D

I would say already damaged not caused by the oil although I have no idea what angular leaf blight is. :lol:
Strelitzias are very tough and will survive most things. How much of a plant have you got left? If their are plenty of leaves I would cut off the damaged ones to the base. It will soon put up fresh ones. I take it you have freshened up the soil or repotted? They do like to dry out between watering and if possible put it outside for the Summer. Somewhere shaded from the hottest part of the day. Nature will soon take care of any spider mite left and it will benefit from being out of an enclosed environment. I put all my houseplants outside for the Summer including my now 10 year old Strelitzia.
Having just reread your post you don't actually say what zone you are or if it is potted or you can grow it outside.

micky
Newly Registered

Thanks

Thanks, it dopily occured to me after i posted, that if it had been having mite issues of course there would be some damage... Still not sure why it should stain though... odd. I did freshen the soil (it is potted). Im quite fussy with potting soil, i use a brand that has a natural predatory fungus in to keep out root problems and inocculate it with Em-1 which is a mixture of beneficial microorganisms which seems to do wonders for increasing plant growth and suppresing dissease. I live in New Zealand which is ranging from -3 - 10 celsius at the moment so i have it in an indoor greenhouse. Thank you, i hope it puts out new leaves soon! (I hate stains on anything!) :D

Jess
Greener Thumb

Haha! And I dopily presumed that seeing as it was Summer here it must be Summer everywhere. :roll:
I suppose the fact that you used an oil would stain a leaf where the cuticle and epidermis have been damaged leaving access to the soft absorbent tissue inside. Just a guess but sounds logical.
Hope it picks up for you soon. It is an amazingly beautiful plant when it flowers.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”