The posts reference cayenne on the soil and that is what I referred to. If one puts anything on the ground and an animal walks on it, to it, over it, whatever, its going to be "on" the animal. Pads get licked, necks get scratched, or it gets inhaled. I am glad for your pets that they were unaffected by this method...

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

I agree with NZ Gardener--no you don't put the pepper on the animal but on the plant(s) you wish to protect. Some pepper in the birdseed keeps the squirrels (mostly) away and the birds can't taste it. Furthermore, although I have hard water I seriously doubt that it hurts the cats when I squirt them... :) . Please, don't think I'm cruel to animals. I volunteer with several rescue groups and donate to others. I've seen cruelty firsthand--don't get me started. The question was how to discourage pets from messing in, with, around plants, and the suggestions put forth may or may not work, depending on the animal, but I wouldn't classify them as cruel if used properly or as intended. Enough already--this is getting off topic and could be volatile, agreed? We can agree to disagree?

Happy Gardening

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Question, about how much Cayenne do you put around the plant? A teaspoon?

Does anyone know of an organic way to detur a Spring Spaniel (dog) from digging up flower beds and the like? Fencing has been tried but, fencing in every bed is not possible due to the slope on the garden. I think that Cayenne wouldn't work due to the surface area of the garden. Plus, I don't want to mess with the dogs mucus glands.

Anyway, thanks. :)

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Enough to make it sneeze. Probably enough to see it on the ground. If you've got reddish/iron rich soil, well...maybe a heaping teaspoon or some tbs., if it's a large plant like a peony. Don't think it would do to put it on the leaves, though. Try a "bitter apple" spray. Anything will wash off in the rain, but maybe after a couple of tries doggy will be conditioned to leaf it alone (pun intended). Regular pepper should work, too, and is cheaper than Cayenne. Don't waste the fancy gourmet stuff, go for the store brand.

Happy Gardening.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Wing. That bitter apple spray sounds like something that I might try. I'm guessing that one can pick it up at a local nursery or the like?

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Actually, Opa, hadn't thought of a garden center. I find them at chain-type pet supply stores like PetSmart or Pet Supply Plus; or from your local veteranarian. There are probably recipies out on the "net" for other concoctions--but I'd carefully consider the ingredients they call for before using. One last caveat: my spouse is allergic to the bitter apple, even though it has no scent detectible by humans--it brings on an asthma attack! You may want to test it around family members if they suffer from allergy- or exercise- induced asthma. Keep me posted, if you have time (yeah, right) on the results.

Happy Gardening, and good luck!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the tips wing. :D

A good solution to keep a dog from digging in flower beds is to give it a spot of its own where it can dig. This area can be tucked out of sight. Loosen a bit of the ground, take the dog to that spot and let him dig. When the dog digs in a flower bed take it to its digging spot. Hang a sign in his spot, something like: Lassie's Garden, always a work in progress. It helps also to hide a toy or treat on occasion for the dog to find.

Since the aerosols used to release bitter apple particles can induce asthma symptoms, a solution might be to soak one end of a q-tip with oil, and plant the opposite end in the soil. Two or three around the container might do. Bitter apple oil can be found at pharmacies where oils of cloves and wintergreen are displayed.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks. :D I have relayed all the above information to my father (who is the one with the dog).

He had the idea of using the old .22 solution... one .22 caliber shell right between the eyes. :shock:

Ever the joker :roll:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Excellent thread guys; Opa, might want to steal this last part as a start for a "Dog in the Garden" thread...

HG

While at a garden symposium today, one speaker topic was 'Animals and Plants - Inside and Out'. The speaker suggested the following as a safe and effective way to keep an animal out of a houseplant.

Using hardware cloth, cut out a circle the diameter of the houseplant container. Make a cut to the center of the circle. Cut out enough of the center so the cloth can be positioned around the stem. The cut out area should be large enough to avoid touching the stem and allow for stem growth. Twist the circle of hardware cloth and place on soil to encircle the stem. Cover with a decorative moss mulch. Recheck stem growth on occasion.

The theory being, when animals can't reach the soil they lose interest nor do they like the contact between claws and cloth. I would think a paper plate would make a template for 8" and smaller diameter containers.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

This doesn't have anything to do with houseplants but, I just read in the garden web about a person who installed a motion sensor on his sprinkler system and since doing so has not had a cat, dog or any other animal in his raised beds.
Not to sure how much one of those things would cost but, it seems like a novel idea!

Of course, what I have done to keep the deer, my relatives dog and any neighbourhood cats out of my garden is build an 8 foot tall fence around my garden (made from platic mesh). Works like a charm!!!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Works for me, NZ. I am trying to keep the boys from...depositing... in the herb garden. I will try this...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I like the idea of that sprinkler system. I would think that a shot of water in the face would be enough to scare just about anything away!! :D :lol:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I've seen that motion sensor sprinkler marketed before...ahh here 'tis...

[url]https://www.biconet.com/critter/sprinkler.html[/url]

HG

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”