RogueRose
Green Thumb

Water Nozzle Recommendations?

Anyone have any good recommendations for a good water nozzle? Seems like everyone I get starts to LEAK and it drives me nuts! I would like one that has different "options" on it (spray/shower/mist) but not necessary if there's a real good one out there. I'm at my wits end when I go out to water and then I get sprayed myself! Especially when it's still cold out!

applestar
Mod

Describe HOW you are getting sprayed. Is the water leaking from where the nozzle is connected to the hose-end?

imafan26
Mod

Do not get the plastic ones get the metal ones. Usually around this time of year costco or Sam's bring in their garden stuff and they may bring in the metal set with the short wand, fan spray and pistol nozzle. The one I got was made by orbit. I have also found the good metal ones at Lowe's they are heavier but much better quality. Make sure you have a gasket at the end of the water hose. A lot of leaks are because your hose gasket is either worn or missing. If you don't take off your nozzle much that is all you really need.

If you change heads a lot then use quick connects. I use the quick connect so I can take off the nozzle easily for my hose end sprayers. I prefer to use brass or metal parts over plastic they just last longer and I have had some over 10 years. My fan spray was over 15 years, until I accidentally ran over it with the car. Tip: Roll or coil the hose when you are done. Don't bang the nozzle into the ground. Oh yeah, don't run over it with your car.

https://www.lowes.com/pd_61799-74985-276 ... Id=3689006
https://www.lowes.com/Watering-Irrigatio ... 1z0wg6y/pl#!

RogueRose
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Describe HOW you are getting sprayed. Is the water leaking from where the nozzle is connected to the hose-end?
I've been getting sprayed in two different places by nozzles:

The current one I've have (and have had others do this) sprays at the screw or thereabouts on the back of the nozzle where the handle is attached.

The other ones leak where the nozzle is attached to the hose. I have gotten a new hose and it still leaked. The hose I have now is pretty good....we replaced the spicket and the hose doesn't leak at all. And now like I said the current nozzle I have is leaking at the screw on the nozzle. So I am pretty sure it's not the hose

RogueRose
Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Do not get the plastic ones get the metal ones. Usually around this time of year costco or Sam's bring in their garden stuff and they may bring in the metal set with the short wand, fan spray and pistol nozzle. The one I got was made by orbit. I have also found the good metal ones at Lowe's they are heavier but much better quality. Make sure you have a gasket at the end of the water hose. A lot of leaks are because your hose gasket is either worn or missing. If you don't take off your nozzle much that is all you really need.

If you change heads a lot then use quick connects. I use the quick connect so I can take off the nozzle easily for my hose end sprayers. I prefer to use brass or metal parts over plastic they just last longer and I have had some over 10 years. My fan spray was over 15 years, until I accidentally ran over it with the car. Tip: Roll or coil the hose when you are done. Don't bang the nozzle into the ground. Oh yeah, don't run over it with your car.

https://www.lowes.com/pd_61799-74985-276 ... Id=3689006
https://www.lowes.com/Watering-Irrigatio ... 1z0wg6y/pl#!

Thanks! I did have a metal one, but it was a cheaper one. And that one DID last longer. I got some plastic ones and they definitely didn't last as long. I will look into getting a good quality metal one. I normally just use a spray/shower setting but once in awhile I like a "mist" but I can get away with a mist if I just lightly use the metal one I think.

applestar
Mod

Make sure you have tightly screwed on the hose connectors. (Obvious but it has to be mentioned :wink:)

If the nozzle is old or spent any time in freezing temperature with water in it, expanding frozen ice could have damaged it.

Also, next time you are at a hardware store, get some replacement washers to put inside where the nozzle screws onto the hose. (Or it could be the washer inside the old hose end) Sometimes the original washer is cheap hard plastic even if new and doesn't form a tight fit. On older ones, over time the washer gets dry and brittle or deformed. I have found the best tight fitting washers are either rubber or silicone.

If you have quick connects then the little O-ring in the narrow neck part could also have failed/broken. You can get replacements for those too. They need to be a tiny bit larger diameter than th original in order to fit -- the hardware store guy told me so when I pointed out that the ones he took out of the little drawers were bigger than the original broken one I had brought -- but if they know what they are doing, they can pick out the correct sized one for you, like he did. :)

For the one that leaks at the back of the nozzle assembly, another possible fix is to add a 2nd rubber washer. It makes the hose end only screw halfway in, but the extra pressure pushes the fitting together better. If the things are new and leaks, or has a "warranty" I would take them back.

I agree with imafan that heavier weight better built ones last longer. So either get a bunch of inexpensive (but non-leaking) ones and just go through them as they fail, or spend more upfront for a better built one and take good care of it. I tried the super cheap ones at the big box store, but they break if you look at them wrong, or drop them on the lawn and there happens to be a a small rock, or if you step on them.... Etc. so. I don't recommend those.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”