pinksand
Greener Thumb

When to transplant

We had a fence installed a few weeks ago. Unfortunately my garden wasn't planned with a fence in mind and I now have baby shrubs bumped right against the fence where it won't accommodate their mature size, or really even a season's worth of growth. Some just don't "work" where they are now that the fence has divided the space differently. For instance, I had an arbor that has been relocated. The major wheeler honeysuckle that was planted to climb either side will need to be transplanted to the new arbor site. Fortunately most of these shrubs and perennials were planted last season so their roots aren't too established yet.

Since the situation isn't totally ideal I'm not sure when would be best to transplant? Some plants that will need to be moved are heavenly bamboo, golden false cypress, beautyberry bush, and the honeysuckle. Fall would have probably been a better option for some of them, but can any be transplanted now or in the next month while they're still dormant?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Fall would have been good, but early spring is next best. While they are dormant, but late enough so that the ground is workable.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Fall would have been good, but early spring is next best. While they are dormant, but late enough so that the ground is workable.
Temperatures were in the 60s last weekend and the ground was thawed and workable, but they're expecting colder temps this week and possible snow. If I were to transplant on a weekend like last would that be okay, or do I need to wait until any sign of frost has passed? I'm just worried that by that time they will no longer be dormant... if that makes sense?

Also, would that be appropriate for the honeysuckle as well? I normally think of spring and fall as prime transplant times, but I saw a site that recommended transplanting perennials now in zone 7! Is that correct or should I wait until it starts to show new growth after danger of frost has passed?

applestar
Mod

When I order bareroot trees and shrubs, strawberries, etc. the earliest get shipped to me in zone 6B during first or 2nd week of March. So I suspect it IS about right time for you.

(OT -- this BTW is another reason to order from zones close to your own -- it has to do with the plants still dormant/getting close to coming out where they are growing further south and my area further north just getting thawed and ready to plant. Opposite can happen with sources further north where it's already getting late to plant but the ground is still frozen where they are growing....)

Big question is whether your garden is ready to dig (thawed and not waterlogged) but since you are on a hill, that might not be a problem?

Start with parts of your garden that are ready and maybe by the time you get to the others, the area will have had a chance to dry out.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Very helpful information applestar!

I've never paid attention to where in the country my online plants are coming from, so that's good to know and makes sense!

I also didn't think about the ground being waterlogged... would I know without starting to dig first? The garden where the plants need to move is on the South side of the house so everything seems to melt and dry out faster on that side and it is on a slope as you said.

I feel like I'm coming out of hybernation and have so many questions to post all over the forum! The fact that I could possibly start working in the garden now has me giddy lol.

imafan26
Mod

I don't know about all mail order companies but roses are always shipped at the right time to plant for whatever zone you are in. For me, when I order roses from catalogs it arrives usually on Christmas day. I am in zone 12a. When I ordered asparagus crown from Guerney they did send a letter saying they weren't sure they would grow in Hawaii. (They do, they just need more summer water) . I thought it was thoughtful of them to send the letter. I think if you order from a good company they do pay attention and try to send things at the right time. As there are few companies in my zone anyway it is moot for me, but it does really help to order plants when you can from an area similar to your own growing conditions.

For myself, I know to avoid seeds grown in Holland and I do have to do some research to find out if some plants will grow here at all. I have learned to read the fine print in the catalogs since I can grow most things that are 'tender' or at least zone 9 and up. Purple echinacea will grow here but not the white. My neighbors are surprised when they see Hollyhocks and nasturtiums in my yard since few people grow them here. I can grow the oriental poppies but I haven't had luck with the California poppy.

As far as transplanting goes, when you dig up the plant, how much of the roots can you cut off? I have a meyer lemon that has escaped and a large root has gone to ground it is over 1 inch now. If I cut it off, how much of the canopy do I cut? I'm hoping the tree won't die when I cut the root. In the meantime I have made cuttings of the tree. So far they look good. The tree is small and has three main branches and some smaller branches off of those. I plan to put it in a larger pot.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”