webmaster
Site Admin

Scientific Study Names Pesticides as a Cause of Autism

There are a lot of "scientific" claims about lots of things ranging from diet to bigfoot. Many of them are made on non-authoritative sites built to capitalize on fad diets and whatnot. When someone is challenged on these claims they often respond there is many scientific studies. When challenged to produce them then they usually go on to say that science is bought and paid for by corporations and they're all lies. On the one hand they claim their crock claims are based on science. On the other they claim science is a sham. I hope you, dear forum member, do not fall into this trap of false reasoning called Information Bias. There is a ton of that kind of garbage on Facebook fueled by sites designed to cynically capitalize on this trend.

Any scientific claims should be made with links to authoritative websites please. :)

Here is an article about a scientific studythat finds many chemicals are linked to autism. However the topic of this post is limited to pesticides.

A review published in The Lancet Neurology on Saturday said current regulations were inadequate to safeguard foetuses and children from potentially hazardous chemicals found in the environment and everyday items such as clothing, furniture and toys.

Of the newly identified toxins, pesticides constitute the largest group. The pair said this could be the tip of the iceberg because the vast majority of the more than 80,000 industrial chemicals widely used in the United States have never been tested for their toxic effects on the developing foetus or child.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Re: Scientific Study Names Pesticides as a Cause of Autism

No offense but that is the oddest post I have ever seen. You lambast posts regarding 'scientific' claims and then post about just one such.

By the way information bias (with small letters) is a type of bias based on the belief that the more information one can collect relating to a specific subject, the more accurate the results will be.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Re: Scientific Study Names Pesticides as a Cause of Autism

webmaster wrote:There are a lot of "scientific" claims about lots of things ranging from diet to bigfoot. Many of them are made on non-authoritative sites built to capitalize on fad diets and whatnot. When someone is challenged on these claims they often respond there is many scientific studies. When challenged to produce them then they usually go on to say that science is bought and paid for by corporations and they're all lies. On the one hand they claim their crock claims are based on science. On the other they claim science is a sham. I hope you, dear forum member, do not fall into this trap of false reasoning called Information Bias. There is a ton of that kind of garbage on Facebook fueled by sites designed to cynically capitalize on this trend.

Any scientific claims should be made with links to authoritative websites please. :)

Here is an article about a scientific studythat finds many chemicals are linked to autism. However the topic of this post is limited to pesticides.

A review published in The Lancet Neurology on Saturday said current regulations were inadequate to safeguard foetuses and children from potentially hazardous chemicals found in the environment and everyday items such as clothing, furniture and toys.

Of the newly identified toxins, pesticides constitute the largest group. The pair said this could be the tip of the iceberg because the vast majority of the more than 80,000 industrial chemicals widely used in the United States have never been tested for their toxic effects on the developing foetus or child.
I don't know about your side of the pond Webmaster...but over here in the UK any material that is applied commercially to a plant is regarded as a 'pesticide', and must therefore be ' recorded ' whether it is aimed at a pest or not. So even water is looked on as such. I guess this is so that contamination from any applied material can be fully traceable back to the grower and user.
So all products that are cleared for use have to appear in the ' UK Pesticide Guide' for info regarding usage, rates, crops and crop stages, harvest intervals , ground water clearances and safety profiles.
Our big worry always is how much notice of these regs are taken by manufactures who export to us.
An apple a day.....keeps me in work.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”