jcinelli
Newly Registered

PONYTAIL PALM

I need help. I have 2 very old ponytail palms. They are about 10 feet tall in pots. One has flowered and now I do not know what to do......do I cut the top off after the flowering ends and dies? We have had these palms around and they mean alot. I can email a pic. Thanks in advance for your help!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

10 feet! That's beyond my experience with this plant and I have never had one flower. But I have had to cut the tops out of them before and they do come back, so I would guess yes, but would entertain other opinions first...

HG

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Jcinelli,

Wow, great plant. If the flowers are pink you might get seeds. If they are white you probably won't. Just cut off the spent flower stalk. You should find these notes interesting as well as the pictures.

https://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/subs/bea-rec-sub.asp

Newt

jcinelli
Newly Registered

ponytail palm

Thanx so much for your response and links......I have another question, do you think I only cut the flower or the whole leaves and head..My husband seems to think that it may grow back with 2 on it and he isnt sure it will grow more by only cutting the dead flower on top. I cut it after the flower bloomed and died but it hasnt done any changing since. I want to do the right thing because we have had them so long and they came from my dad. I can send a pic of them also if you like........
Thanx again in advance! J

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi J,

I think one of those sites explains how it splits. I don't remember now if cutting the stalk off makes it split or if it comes with age. I would suggest that you cut the flower stalk and not the whole head.

Newt

jcinelli
Newly Registered

Thanks

Newt, Thanks for your response! It has been helpful. I will leave the palm and see what it does. Josephine

Newt
Greener Thumb

Josephine, you are so very welcome!! I hope it grows in a way that you both can enjoy. One never quite knows what Mother Nature will do. :o

Newt

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Good to see you around Newt! Good job...

Newt
Greener Thumb

Scott, it's great to be back at the computer!!! Thank you sooo much. :D

Newt

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”