imafan26
Mod

What are your favorite plants?

I am looking through catalogs and my seed collection to see what I would want to plant next. I also went through my garden pictures over the years and I discovered a few things:
1. Although, some of the plants have changed most of my garden looks the same from year to year
2. I end up planting most things in the same place from year to year.
3. I have a lot of blue flowering plants.

I have actually got more than a couple of favorite plants and colors that have persisted through the years. I did discover one other thing. I couldn't figure out why it was so hard for people to find my front gate. I would find flyers on my garage door once in a while. Now, that I had that Feng Shui class I know it is because the red plants are on the garage door side of the driveway and while I have some red plants near the front gate, I have a few tall and thorny roses there too which are disinviting. But, it is the best place for the plants so I am not going to change it. The people I want to come to my house actually know where the front gate is.

My favorite plants
Lavender, alyssum, roses, gardenia, jasmine, blue daze(convulvulus), euphorbia cotonifolia (Caribbean copper plant), Mussaenda glabra, acalypha pendula (dwarf chenille), Salvia (blue and red fountain)gladiolus, amaryllis (Red Lion), nasturtiums, agapanthus, pachystachys lutea, orchids, flowering olive (Kwai fah), neopenthes, Ti, penta, and pelargoniums.

Edibles I have grown more than a couple of years.
Tomato (sungold, spoon, sweet 100), eggplant ( long green), Peppers (multiple kinds), cucumber (suyo, but my new favorite is tendergreen), strawberries, thyme (lemon, English,French, Silver), citrus trees (approx 14), green onion, garlic chives, bay leaf, Mexican oregano, Mexican tarragon, Greek oregano, marjoram, rosemary, cutting celery(new favorite), Italian parsley.

What are your favorite plants?
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: What are your favorite plants?

I think this didn't get much response because favorite plants is such a huge category. Favorite tomatoes is a question that always gets a lot of discussion from all the heirloom tomato fans. Favorite veggies, favorite flowers is answerable. Favorite plants? How does one weigh trillium and jack in the pulpit against lavender against strawberry, asparagus, tomato, against oak, lilac, black walnut, hackberry, japanese maple?

I love the little woodland shade plants I grow, especially the spring ephemerals, which seem so precious somehow for being so transient. Along with the trillium and j-i-p, that includes trout lily, woods poppy, spring beauty, Virginia bluebells, twinleaf, bloodroot, tiarella, hepatica, squirrel corn.....

I grow lots of herbs and love them - the lavender of course, sage, thyme, mint, oregano, two or three different basils, dill, fennel, parsley which I grow mainly for the butterflies and the beneficial insects it attracts.

Bee balm and trumpet honeysuckle for the hummingbirds; yarrow, anise hyssop, and chamomile for tea and for insects ....

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot. How could a gardener have a favorite plant?
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Will mostly answer this just in general for now. Love any flowering or foliage ornamental plants that fit well into an easy to maintain, naturalized setting. For vegetable plants, my favorites are those can can be succession planted to give crops year round. For summer veggies, tomatoes and cucumbers easily top the list. But the summer garden could never be complete without peppers and egg plant. Our top three herbs are basil, cilantro, and parsley. Toss garlic into the mix and most of our favorites have been hit.

In addition, the spring and summer garden usually includes: lettuce, kale, spinach, Swiss chard, radish, squash, zucchini, corn, melons, onions, peas, green beans
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

duplicate post... oops!

I was just going to add in milkweed for the monarch butterflies, but the whole thing got duplicated instead of edited...
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”