toboboto
Newly Registered

Sunset Climate Zones Orange County, CA map missing? where?

I went looking at Sunset climate zone map at california, and there are maps for Los Angeles and San Diego, but Orange County is nowhere to be found.

Does anyone know how to find Sunset Climate zone map for Orange County? I have several grow locations INSIDE Orange County I would like to compare.
thanks!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

You could try finding a map online. If not I bet you could find something that you type your zip code into and it would tell you.

imafan26
Mod

This is what I found on sunset climate zones. You might be able to find it in the Sunset's New Western Garden Book too. It is in my old copy. It used to be my bible until I found Tropical Plants of the Caribbean which has more of the plants that I grow.

https://ww.sunset.com/garden/climate-zon ... 000067298/

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

That link didn't work for me, Imafan.

Look along the left side of the Los Angeles area page. You should see Orange county:

Sunset Zones, Los Angeles Region (link)

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Thanks Steve
Your link does work and it gets to the page I intended. The climate zones are also in the Sunset Western Garden Book.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The Sunset zones are much, much more specific than the USDA zones.

However, they are less "straight-forward." The USDA zones are only concerned with extreme winter lows, not with the growing season at all. Just how Sunset came up with their zones is not explained. Algorithms must be involved ;).

Have you ever had someone tell you that he/she is "too much of a geek to explain?" Makes me want to buy the company they work for just so I can fire them! . . . but then, I have been a little cranky lately, what with the weather and all.

Steve ;)

imafan26
Mod

Whatever zone designation you use, you still have to consider microclimates. The sunset zones do take into account ocean, valley, mountain, and desert influences. I know whatever zone I am using I can cheat a zone up or down. Mostly down, on the sunset and the old US zone map I was pretty much in the highest zone.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

But Imafan . . .

Does frost hardiness mean anything in Hawaii?

And, just, what is it being left out of that word if I spell it, "Hawai'I?" (You might also tell me why Americans put the punctuation inside the quotation marks instead of outside but I don't want to drift off topic.)

Steve

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”