njoy
Newly Registered

Ornamental Shrub Turning Brown - A Way to Save it?

Hi, this is my first time posting...I am a very novice gardener and want to learn more. The front of our house has pretty extensive landscaping done by the previous owners...we just upkeep and maintain (hopefully one day I will remodel!) since we bought the house.

There is an ornamental shrub (I think it is a juniper but am not sure) that is shaped into 6 or 7 round pom-poms in a circular fashion. This shrub was always healthy and green/blue. But for the past year or two I have noticed that it is starting to turn dry and brown from bottom up. One pom-pom is completely brown and dry.

Is there hope for this shrub, or is it a goner? Can anything be done to revive this?

(I live in Pennsylvania.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

njoy

Grey
Greener Thumb

Is it holding its leaves when the leaves die? If it is, it's a very bad sign.

Have any different nutrients been added to the soil in the past 2 years?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Juniper is susceptible to a juniper twig blight that would attack from the ground (splash up in rain or watering) but then travel through the plants system. Tell tale sign would be to cut a dead branch and if the heartwood is black instead of a healthy red, it's definitely phomopsis. A systemic fungicide would be the only answer...

Scott

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”