gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Three weeks post-op

I can only do small things in the garden for now as I'm 3 weeks post-op from rotator cuff surgery. I put it off for the better part of a year and tried a cortisone shot to see if that helped----it did for about 2 1/2 weeks before the pain and discomfort returned.

So I bit the bullet and opted for the surgery, which went well with the techniques used today. Four tiny holes, only 8 stitches in all, have to wear a sling for 5 weeks and have already started PT to get range of motion back. PT is going very well so far and I have great folks helping me.

I did manage to transplant about 100 or so leafy greens plants as they were clustered up pretty tight and needed proper spacing. I can do small, light things and nothing strenuous about transplanting lettuce, chard, kale and other leafy salad greens. And I did so at the right time as it is raining lightly almost every day and keeping the ground damp so they can recover.

It's nice to not have constant pain in the joint. I do have some discomfort, but it is decreasing almost daily and once I'm back to normal, I don't expect the joint to feel anywhere near like it did pre surgery.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations on getting it done. I haven't had it, but I have friends who have. What they can do with surgery and PT these days is amazing. Work hard at your PT and keep doing the range of motion exercises at home once you are done with the PT, and I think you will find it a blessing compared to pre-surgery, even though it is literally "a pain" right now.

applestar
Mod

Oh, I hope you feel better soon!

I had a rotator cuff injury a few years ago though not so severe to need surgery -- I went for acupuncture to relieve pain -- and it was no picnic. Worst was that I'm a side sleeper and could not sleep on either side -- not on the injured (my prefereed) shoulder of course, and not on the opposite shoulder because then the weight of the arm forced a position that caused pain. I had to sleep on my back for best support, then had trouble getting up unless I did no cheating, belly muscle only situps. :?

It's amazing the limitations one-handed restrictions can pose even if it is not your dominant hand. Harder when dominant hand is restricted -- t's the weirdest sensation brushing your teeth with the opposite hand.

Good luck. :D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Oh, I hope you feel better soon!

I had a rotator cuff injury a few years ago though not so severe to need surgery -- I went for acupuncture to relieve pain -- and it was no picnic. Worst was that I'm a side sleeper and could not sleep on either side -- not on the injured (my prefereed) shoulder of course, and not on the opposite shoulder because then the weight of the arm forced a position that caused pain. I had to sleep on my back for best support, then had trouble getting up unless I did no cheating, belly muscle only situps. :?

It's amazing the limitations one-handed restrictions can pose even if it is not your dominant hand. Harder when dominant hand is restricted -- t's the weirdest sensation brushing your teeth with the opposite hand.

Good luck. :D

You are right on about the sleep problem. I have to sleep sitting up or on my back for the most comfort, but that should change once I'm totally healed and done with PT. Prior to surgery I experienced the same thing of being waken up at night due to pain in my shoulder if I slept on my good side. There was no lying, much less sleeping on the sore shoulder since it hurt so bad.

I got good news yesterday from the PT folks. They said I'm doing so well that they want me to only come 2 days a week and continue range of motion movements at home and they'll monitor my progress at my sessions. I see the Dr. in another week to see what he recommends as far as more intense PT.

It is my dominant hand that had the shoulder surgery and you're right there too. Brushing my teeth, bathing, shaving, and other powder room activities I'll not go into with any detail took on a challenge.

Heck, just drying off after a shower was not a load of fun with one are just dangling by my side, but I managed. The worst was getting dressed with one hand and putting on a T-shirt, no matter how large it was. But that's mostly behind me now.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:I'm sorry you were in pain and required surgery, but surely glad you are doing so well now. If your therapist is trusting you to do the motion movements on your own, you must be an ideal patient! Please take it slowly and don't overdo, even if the garden is calling.

Thanks MG. I've been to PT 4 times already for various injuries or surgeries, twice for my right knee after surgeries to clean out fragments and ACL replacement, once for right elbow tendonitis that required surgery to connect ligaments and the same now for my right shoulder with bad ligaments, bone spurs and a bit of arthritis.

I trust the folks taking care of me and let my limb go limp so they can manipulate it for range of motion exercises. Both therapists that have helped me commented they wished all patients would be so comfortable and trusting, but if it is their first experience, it can be a bit unnerving not knowing what to expect. I know stretching the sewn together ligaments is going to be a bit painful, but that is part of the process.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Congratulations on getting it done. I haven't had it, but I have friends who have. What they can do with surgery and PT these days is amazing. Work hard at your PT and keep doing the range of motion exercises at home once you are done with the PT, and I think you will find it a blessing compared to pre-surgery, even though it is literally "a pain" right now.

Surgeries are amazingly simple today when compared to how things were done in the past. Most are done arthroscopically or laproscopically with minimal tissue damage and much less of an invasive process. That has gone a long way in speeding up the healing process.

I went to watch some friends of mine that I play darts with as a team in a league the other night. The team captain asked me how the shoulder felt compared to prior to surgery as far as pain. I told him prior to surgery, just sitting here would have seen me in some discomfort and even more so if I tried to throw darts. Now, the joint feels pain free and the only reason for any discomfort is due to the surgery and tightness in the shoulder from the repair. PT is going to take care of that, but it's going to be anywhere from 12-16 weeks out of surgery before it's "Officially" healed by many accounts from folks that have had this procedure done.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”