Intriguedbybonsai

Watering at night. Is it a good thing?

I've always been told that it is best to water a garden in the early morning, or the late evening, but never during heat of the day when the sun is at it's highest. And then there is night watering. I've heard from many people, the internet, and etc that watering should not be done at night mainly because sunlight is not there to aid in evaporation. And with water sitting around, there is the chance of fungal or disease infestations.

Now I understand that depending on where you live can play an important factor in this. I assume that places with high humidity may want to avoid night watering, whereas an area with dry/arid climate would not hurt their garden. I got into a debate with someone who thinks that the dangers of watering at night is nothing more than folklore.

What are your views on watering a night?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I think what you said covers it.

It rains at night, right?

imafan26
Mod

Night watering is not ideal and if you live in a humid place and it is a humid time of the year, it could promote disease. But you are right if the area is dry and it is windy, the plants are spaced far enough, and you are watering plants that aren't especially prone to fungal problems you can probably make do with that. If you are drip watering instead of overhead watering, the leaves may not even have to get wet.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”