lily51
Greener Thumb

Sad sounding cicadas?

Bright blue skies, hot days, cooling nights and the trilling sound of cicadas are usually the feel of Ohio this time of year.
I enjoy listening to them, their songs bringing in the end of summer.
Not yet this year. Silent cicada days so far. The couple that I have heard were an odd, weak sound. Just another indication that it is not the normal growing year here.
Has anyone else noticed this or other signs from nature on this unusual summer?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is an unusual summer here in Ohio. We are having the year with no summer while most of the rest of the country swelters. But my cicadas and tree frogs and whatever else is in that chorus have been making an incredible din. Possibly some of yours moved south? :)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Hardly ever hear them here in N.O. anymore. My in-laws have a tropical garden in their back yard and they do have a few tree frogs that do their thing at night. As a kid, I use to go to the country for the summer by an aunt's house and between the crickets, cicadas, tree frogs, and bullfrogs, there was a nightly chorus.

We'd sit on the porch and watch for fire flies at night since nobody in my family had A/C back then and it was a chance to cool down a bit after a hot day. During the day we'd sometimes have contests to see who could catch the most of those huge black grasshoppers with the red marks on the wings. Being boys, we'd catch crawfish and eels out the drainage ditch when it rained hard.

Geez, the things that triggers memories sometimes. A lot of kids today don't know what it's like to venture outside unsupervised to get in mischief by just being a kid.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

We noticed the cicadas in force this PM. It is warm and humid. a change from the past few weeks that were OK, pleasant.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

we've got the standard yearly variety going, and have for a few weeks.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

We definitely have some, proven by Kitty. She thinks catching a cicada is fun. Bring it in back door, let it loose on kitchen floor, and it will flap and buzz its wings, never going far. I admit to not being upset as it is not a bird to let loose in the house, or a small furry thing to lose behind the frig.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”