imafan26
Mod

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

I have an extended summer. Days are still getting up to 89 degrees. We are on I think on the 15 th tropical storm/hurricane of the season that is passing us by. Nights are more typical getting down into the 70's. The days are getting shorter with the sun rising about 6:30 a.m and setting just after 6 p.m. The ginger is blooming, so it can be harvested but I usually wait to harvest the pot after the tops have died down. The weather experts said we can expect that our hurricane season may last through to the end of the year. We have already had twice the number of storms than normal this year and the normal hurrican season lasts until November 30. It is the most dangerous time for us since the Pacific High moves away from us and it is our main protection from hurricanes. In El Nino years our winter is drier and the summers have more rain. Since the enhanced trade showers from the passing storms have fallen mostly on the windward side of the island, they are seeing most of the flooding. The Koolau mountains are also the main water shed for the island so the good side is that it is filling up the wells and most of the waterfalls are turned on.

It can be a good time to get in the water because the surfers like to take advantage of the storm surge, but it is a dangerous time because murky water attracts the sharks who will mistake surfers and swimmers for turtles or seals.

Most people here are now educated and culling sharks is rarely done anymore. Cullings were done mainly to appease the public, but most people know that the sharks that were culled were not all man eaters and that sharks are one of the top predators in the ocean and do serve an important function in the ecosystem.

Besides, you have to realize living here that anytime you enter the water, you enter the food chain. Most of the sharks here are not starving and there are many times when sharks are near along with people. A couple of times we went fishing and we could see the bent fin of the tiger shark in shallow water about 30 yards off shore. And I have had a 2 ft hammerhead shark pup brush against my feet at Ala Moana beach park. There have been two surfers that have been attacked and one lost a leg and parts of his fingers. Another attack thought to be a shark was later determined to be an eel.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

68 deg F right now and very sunny, going up to 80 deg today. Tomorrow 78 and then sliding back towards more seasonable, which for here would be 70 with lows around 45. Average first frost date not for two more weeks! Yay.

Where I moved from is having a warm spell so they are actually only a few degrees cooler right now. But will cool off again harder and faster. And gardening is a lot more finished there, because they have already had a couple frosts.

imafan26
Mod

Rainbow, have you moved completely, or are you still going back and forth?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

October was the second warmest in something like 130 years, here.

What seems especially odd was that the September average temperature was actually a little below normal. Yeah, there were frosts in September ...

Most recently, there has been blessed rain! The inch plus was so welcome. Now, we need a little more then a lovely, deep blanket of winter snow :).

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

@ imafan: moved completely. Bought a house and moved the end of Aug. See my blank slate thread :)

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... te#p371099

Today it will be 72 here, though grey and cloudy. Still the lowest temp in the 10 day forecast is 45 and all my basil is still producing. I will be out working in the garden in my shirt sleeves.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Cloudy-high today 75. We will have lows in the mid-low 50's sometime next week, with daytime highs only reaching the low 70's. We usually have a cold snap by now-meaning we would have a couple of nights in the 40's -Nothing showing that scenario yet! Yay!

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Our high today was 41 with a chance of rain changing to snow tonight. The highs the rest of the week are suppose to be in the 30's and low's in the 20's. Garden is put to bed. Just waiting for it to get a little colder before I put straw on the strawberries and garlic. I did it before to early and they rotted one year because it got nice again.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

A sudden gigantic change here today. Snowstorm with high of about 41 too. 21 forecast for low tonight. Some of the trees around here haven't even started to change color, though some have.

I barely harvested all my butternut squash this morning. Meant to pick apples off apple tree, but am too late. Maybe they won't be hurt, don't know. It's supposed to warm up somewhat later in the week. But what a drastic change!

catgrass
Green Thumb

Nov. 6, 2 pm-84 degrees, sunny, with a heat index of 90=I'm LOVIN IT!!!

imafan26
Mod

Today was arbor day in Hawaii. We gave away 500 plants at 6 sites around Oahu. Other organizations also give away plants every year. It has been raining since last night and it rained for most of the day. This was the first time we actually had plants left over. For some strange reason all of the tickets for the plants were given out, but some people left without picking up the plants. We also had our last sale of the year today. We cleaned out a lot of plants. I gave away some mizuna, basil, and dill to the volunteers since they will not keep until February. While it is not unusual for it to be raining this time of the year, it was still relatively warm especially since there wasn't any wind. People were taking their jackets off because it was too hot even with the rain especially when we had to start walking around moving plants and setting up tents.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Cloudy and rainy a lot lately , but still very mild. I believe we are at our average first frost date , but the lowest temperature in the 10 day forecast is 39 F . That is next weekend , but it warms up again after that . 2015 is already the hottest year in the 150 or so years that there have been good records (taken as a global average ; of course many localities may have different conditions ).

imafan26
Mod

I think the especially in the last few years ever since the Larsen B ice shelf collapsed in 2009 has shown a warming trend every year. Drought in many parts of the world and stronger and more deadly storms. More of the ice is continuing to melt and is expected to collapse in a few years. El Nino is keeping things warmer as well.

Right now ave day temps are around 82 degrees and the nights are in the 70's. Not having much wind makes it seem warmer.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Is is raining here, lots of rain, a relief from a veryunusual drought summer. Snow in the mountains already. It's getting colder. I have sunflowers a dahlias blooming in November and am not sure what to think of that.

imafan26
Mod

I know someone whose sunflowers bloomed a couple of weeks ago.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

October 2015 was the warmest on record for Washington.
We also had the driest summer.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Only about 1/3" of rain over about a day and a half here, but it is welcome. We are slowly building some soil moisture and there is more moisture in this week's forecast.

Snow too, but it's too warm to stay around ...

The pickup will be in the garage today but it had better make it into the tire shop soon.

Steve

Woyote
Newly Registered

Unusually rainy here in the Southern Arizona high-desert. Rain about every week since Mid-October. First frost tonight in midtown. Outskirts get hit first because of that heat-island effect, I bet they'll be cold tonight. Picked the largest cucumber I've ever grown today, to save from that frost. All plants sitting pretty under a giant umbrella, and under the porch. Desert tortoise bedded down for the long-haul. I'm about to hit the hay too, but I'll be warm.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Still no frost in the ten day forecast. Highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's and 50's, through out the forecast. Highs in the 60's looks like it is pretty seasonable, lows in the high 40's, low 50's is just a bit warmer than average. Average low temp here, this time of year is 40, so we are well within the range of normal variation. Average high this date 62. I was out walking around last night after dark, without a jacket. I love this! :)

applestar
Mod

Nice! You are going to be able to easily grow a bunch of stuff that have been borderline before -- like rosemary, marjoram, Japanese persimmon, figs, saffron crocus... Etc. So much fun! :-()

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Time to buy a row boat. Some nasty weather coming my way:

Weather Summary
Nov 12, 2015

Larry Schick
USACE - Seattle

A major atmospheric river rainfall event is headed to western Washington in the next 48 hours. Expect heavy rain in the mountains (8-10"). Models indicate rainfall of 10-15" might fall in some mountain locations (North Cascades and Olympics).Snow level will be 7500 ft during much of the storm.

Right now all mountain areas are vulnerable to heavy rainfall and flooding. (See: Weather Service flood watch). The system could stall, therefore, greater rainfall is possible in spots. This event has potential to produce major flooding. The forecasted heaviest rainfall will be the Olympics and North Cascades, but again all areas will have heavy rain and the focus could shift and stall - especially toward the central and south Cascades later in the storm period. Rainfall will begin this afternoon and end early Saturday, as the AR weakens and moves south with lowering snow levels. Expect strong and sustained winds with this system as well. Gusts up to 55mph in places - high enough for damage. Large seas up to 22 ft on the coast will be seen.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, we finally did have that freeze, night before last. All my basil in pots got zapped. Of course it promptly warmed up after that, but too late for the basil.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The PNW made national news. A little to the west, some communities hit record high temperatures as this El Nino event swept over us! Rivers in western Washington may still be at flood stage!

Our share?

We had 3/100ths of an inch of rain, .03". With overnight lows of about 50°, no self-respecting snowflake was coming anywhere near us ... That may change. Please, make it so. Asking for a friend, an Evergreen Forest, between 2,000' & 5,000' elevation.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is typical weather so far for this time of the year with mostly nightly showers and the windward and mauka trade showers. The trades will be tapering off and it will be a little drier for a few days before the next bout of rain hits. It does seem like it is still a couple of degrees warmer for this time of the year.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

So the mega storm did come. I stayed in all weekend. No gardening to do in this weather. And if that wasn't enough, we are getting another storm this week. Heavy winds and enough rain to push the already full rivers over the edge. It seems to be coming from the Pacific Ocean, way over there by Hawaii. If you see a story in the news about a little boat full of people trying to escape the deluge, and one of them has a bird on her head, that's me, the one with the bird.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We had another 1/100th of an inch, overnight. Not kidding. We may pick up a tenth of an inch before everything blows past. Currently, we remain in "extreme drought" (link) with just short of 11" precipitation from January 1st to the present moment. It's isn't much better in Montana and those ranges of the Rockies.

The western Washington storms are crashing into the 10,000 and 14,000 foot peaks of the northern Cascades. The rain clouds would need to be a little further south so as to blow up the Columbia. That isn't happening and I suppose if I complain too much about those mountains I'll feel terrible if there are landslides or the top of one of the volcanoes blows off again.

As it is, the Weather Service forecasters are saying we will have "damaging winds" this afternoon, 60+ mph.

Steve

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Wow, 60 mph. That's severe.
It is raining here, and windy, like they said, but they lessened the flood threat for my area. It's still a deluge, however. I just finished teathering some tarps over my unfinished siding to keep the rain from going where it's not supposed to go. The weather has been unusual this year. More extreme, summer drought and now flooding.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Very windy today. Lots of power outages. My power is still working, so I'm lucky so far.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

The major weather event here has subsided. Today is cold, calm & sunny.
The Skykomish river reached 22.23 ft yesterday at about 8 pm at Gold Bar. Major flood stage line is 19 ft.
The river near where I live came close to minor flood stage at about noon yeaterday. We had strong winds and power outages yesterday and last night. No flooding and I did not lose power. Today is very nice, the calm after the storm.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The little airport not far from my home quit sending hourly updates at 3pm, yesterday. Wind information from Spokane International Airport stopped at 4pm.

Here's what Fairchild Air Force Base west of Spokane, Washington recorded:

17 Nov 5:49 pm PST 50 43 76 SSW 46G68

That's temperature, dew point, humidity (it rained quite a bit there, not here.) Wind direction: SouthSouthWest sustained winds: 46Gusts68 mph. Officially, there were 71 mph gusts for the day.

There was more wind there than at my home. I had small branches to pick up, a broken pot. The roof isn't old and looks fine but I'll need to climb on the ladder. Those of us with intact roofs must be disappointed that there is still almost no rain and dirt everywhere. But, there must be huge numbers of homes with roof damage.

Last night, the Washington State Department of Transportation, East signed off like this: "@wsdot_east Spokane crew signing off until morning. ... (All my roof shingles are on my lawn.)." It is too real for me to make a silly Ha!

I was just out mowing the lawn ... Yeah! After I picked up the bigger branches I mowed under the trees! It's what I'd do during the summer. Mulch.

Then, I worked my way around the south and west sides of the house with the hose; outdoor water turned back on. Out in the driveway, I rinsed the pickup of dried, caked mud and sprayed it with soap in the hose-end sprayer. It froze!! Guess, I was just a little early ;). Still, the soap mix might have worked better as ice. The rinse left the ol'Dodge looking okay.

The classes at the elementary school a few 100 yards away has been canceled today. The entire district has shut down. Large areas and over 100,000 people without power. Trees down everywhere. I'm lucky and lucky I don't have to work at putting all of this infrastructure back together. Just pay my utility bills & taxes.

Steve

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I think that I should clarify that yes, it was stormy, and yes, there was flooding, it was happening all around me, but somehow I was unscathed by it all. I was expecting that my power would go out but it didn't. I had my generator all ready just in case. I could hear the wind thrashing things around last night, and I was sure that a tree would fall nearby or land on me but that didn't happen. The river is 6 blocks away from me and it was high but it did not flood. I read that 2 people were killed in Seattle area by downed trees yesterday. There were outages everywhere and I'm sure that many people are still without power. A freeway near me was closed last night because the wind blew a power line across the lanes. Traffic lights were black, making it hard to drive, slowing things down. There were traffic jambs at major intersections, which turned into 4-way stops. I didn't like going through those intersections, but I made it home.

applestar
Mod

Wow, I'm glad you folks made it through all that OK, but sad for those who didn't.

This time of the year with impending or already-here freezing temperatures, any report of severe house and home damage is heart-breaking.

imafan26
Mod

Sounds like our typical stormy weather. 60 mph winds will bend a few coconut trees and break tree limbs. The building code was upgraded after Iwa and hurricane clips were installed in new construction and some people (including me) retrofitted older structures to make it harder for the roofs to fly off. The clips are rated for 80 mph winds but will not stop a category 5 storm like Iniki from leveling everything in its path.

Most of Hawaii is still under drought conditions. We got some short term drought relief and that helped keep the mountains greener than usual and that is good because there were fewer fires. Although it was very unusual to have a fire in Wahiawa.

We are getting a few showers passing by and it is supposed to get wetter at the end of the week. Yesterday was a nice sunny day. Today it is very cloudy with not much wind. More rain is expected toward the evening. It is not enough rain to cause flooding, but also not enough to really soak the ground. Unfortunately it will be plenty for the weeds. It is 64 degrees right now and a high of 82 degrees is expected.

imafan26
Mod

Winter storms can be unpredictable. Even if you prepare for them there will be things you won't foresee like a huge tree that falls and especially if you live in valleys and on hilltops the wind and wind driven rain will be much more severe than in protected areas. It is best to stay inside as much as possible and keep tabs on the weather. My phone sends me weather alerts. It is especially important to keep an eye on streams and drainage canals up to a mile away if you are lower or at the same elevation as the river bank. We had a couple of storms that weren't so bad at the house, but some of the streams on the other side of the island got so clogged with debris that the streams changed course and went down some streets. People thought they were safe because they were 'uphill', but the stream was above them. The state is doing a better job of dredging the canals and cleaning debris (mostly mand made: shopping carts, appliances, tree branches and just rubbish dumped in the ditches), a few years ago we had a long spell of rain that saturated the ground and the clogged streams and drainage ditches flooded the business district and a home was swept away on another island and the family in it was lost. Earlier this year a homeless woman living under a bridge was swept away when the stream she was camping by swelled and she was carried away in the current. She was never found. We don't have a lot of landslides, but there is a spot on the road going down to the coast that is dangerous when it rains. There is fencing to reinforce the hillside and a rock fence, but some of the rocks still get through and they can roll down at any time. Every few years the state sends a crew up there to remove the loose rocks and replace the fencing.

If it rains hard enough for the rain to turn the streets into a stream, the power usually goes out or flickers which has already damaged 5 phones. I usually unplug everything I don't need and my microwave took a hit during the last thunderstorm but luckily it reset. I have added a surge protector to the line. The computer is a laptop and it is on a surge protector. If the power goes out while I am on the computer, the battery will allow me to shut down the computer safely.

It is best not to go out in the rain unless you really have to. I don't know about you but people here do not know how to drive in the rain. Everyone does slow down and increase their spacing, most people will turn on their lights so people can see them better. It is really bad when the traffic lights go out because some people do not get the concept of the 4 way stop. Sometimes it is challenging to figure out whose turn it is when everyone is waiting for someone to start. If the rain gets so bad that the wipers can't keep up, I and a few others just put on the flasher and pull over to the side, under the overpass if possible, and wait it out.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

It is interesting for me, to read about Hawaii. The storms are bigger in Hawaii than they are here in Washington. We don't get hurricanes here, but we do get windstorms. I worry about my roof blowing off or a tree falling on me but it hasn't happened to me yet. The shingles blew off of the south side of a neighbor's house. They patched it just fine but the shingles for the patch are a different color than the rest of the roof. I have a roofer lined up in case of an emergency. He said that he will come and fix my roof right away if the shingles blow off. He is so sure that they won't blow off that he said he will fix my roof for free if they do. How's that for insurance. A climate change report was just issued for the Puget Sound region. They are predicting a warming trend, less snowpack in the mountains, more rain, more flooding, more wildfires, more hot summer days over 95 degrees. It will affect everything.

imafan26
Mod

We built over our garage so our house ended up being taller than the neighbors. The roofer used a cheaper shingle and he shingled the roof on an overcast day. I kept losing shingles all of the time whenever the wind went over 50 mph. We patched it a lot and even paid another roofer to mastik down the edges of the shingles to keep them from coming off. Eventually the roof leaked. It was only ten years old. It leaked because the original roofer missed 1 foot of flashing. The roofer also said that the patches that were coming off were getting larger because the repairs were not done properly. the nails were not in flush and that allowed the shingles to lift and take larger sections of shingles with it.

The roof was redone and we specified that the shingles on the edges be mastiked in place since it was along the edges that the shingles came off first. It has been 7 years and so far all the shingles are still on the roof. I always check the roof after we get high winds.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Riding out your quys wind storm you threw this way. 72 mph so far with freezing rain and wind chill of 5 below. We have lost so many trees already this summer and fall, sure hope we don't loose more. Anyone who has been to ND knows we don't have a lot of trees to loose. Crazy weather.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Don't get me going about bad construction work. I could go on and on with stories about people getting ripped off that way. I learned the hard way about hiring for residential. I am very careful now about who I call. I check out the company before I call. They have to be Better Business Bureau certified A+. I've heard that good contractors are hard to find in Hawaii, being so far from the mainland.

Wow, ND is getting hit pretty hard. There seems to be weird weather everywhere these days. The climate change study for the Puget Sound area is very interesting to read. I think more research needs to be done for non-coastal areas. The climate change study is easy to find online. It was just released by the University of Washington. It will provide insight even if you don't live in the Puget Sound region.

The weather here is supposed be clear and cold for the rest of the week, with freezing temps at night. Some people are still without power, so if they have electric heat, they will need to figure something else out or they will freeze. I am so lucky. I have power and no wind or flood damage.

applestar
Mod

A screenshot of Weather Underground temperature distribution right now.

Not normal night time low into 3rd week of November for my area by any stretch of the imagination... How about yours?
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

72 miles per hour is just under the hurrican level of 75 mph. And you mostly flat that means that there isn't much in the way to slow it down.

We need to get used to the warmer cycle. More of the permafrost is melting so we are coming out of this ice age cycle and moving into a warming trend. In the space of geological time this has happened before although this time it was accelerated by man's activities. The lesson to be learned here is to learn to adapt and survive. It may be a few lifetimes we will have to live with it.

https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2014/07/11 ... l-warming/

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I think the temps for ND are our normal. We had really nice temps most of November. Sometimes it snows the beginning of October. We got a little bit of snow here but no freezing rain for us last night. The wind is still crazy but not uncommon for ND either. We definitely plan for no power. No power doesn't really effect us that much except to take away internet etc and I have to get water to my animals by pump jack, twice daily which is a pain. But if the power is out then husband probably isn't working and he can start the generator for water.

I agree imafan that we will adjust to changes. The earth changes all the time and the planet seems to evolve and make do.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”