RamonaGS
Green Thumb

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

I am on the central coast of California, and it has been raining pretty well for the last couple of days. We need it too. I live a few miles from Lake Cachuma, and at full capacity, there are parts of it that will put the lake's edge a few feet from the highway, but this year the water is so far back that people are able to walk across the inside of the dam on the lake side, and parts of the lake bed have been exposed for so long that I saw grass growing in it. SO glad we have some rain finally!
~~Ramona mother of fur babies~~

imafan26
Mod

Yesterday it rained in the morning but was relatively sunny most of the day, even though it was cool.

Today, it has been raining most of the day. At noon the temperature was 65 degrees and I haven't seen the sun through the thick clouds.

I didn't get to do more work in my veggie garden, it is too wet now, but I did plant crimson pirate, and muscadet lilies someone gave me. I repotted a few more of the pepper seedlings and divided the cardamom. I have space now for a few more starter pots. I just have to find my seeds.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Moonshadow

I was whining the other day because I'm so far behind in my planting schedule. I wanted to have snap peas, broccoli, and a few other things in the ground already by now.

We're supposed to get another 8-12" of snow today, and a low of 4F tonight. I suppose it's good I'm behind.

It was nice and warm yesterday, though, so I finally moved around my mom's old raised beds. Stacked two on top of each other and filled that one. Just need to stack the other two and buy some more soil and I'll be good to go!

applestar
Mod

Old Man Winter has whitewashed everything in sight AGAIN and Jack and Jill Frost twins have been scribbling on the windows all night....
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

We had a freezing thunderstorm. Sleet falling with thunder and lightning. That was followed with several inches of snow... gee whiz, not normal for here.

Today we are suppose to see above freezing temps and get back to more normal weather.

This winter has felt like we moved north and didn't realize that we had moved! Been horrible.
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

That's no way to talk about Missouri!!

;)

The lingering California storm has loosed a stream of moisture that is coming here! :shock: The big meltdown has already started with all of our snow here in Slush City. Now, it'll be rain and the thermometer should hit 50°f on Thursday! That will be the warmest for the year.

I sure hope our soil can take in all this water. There may be a few places here & there outdoors where the ground has thawed a bit. I don't think I'd enjoy standing around on a chair all day.

Wouldn't you know it? The pepper seedlings are just out of the warm kitchen and here in the South Window with me and . . . we won't likely be seeing the sun until the weekend . . .

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

We're getting lots of rain, they say 90 million gallons of water went into Lake Tahoe in the last big rain. But, there is much less snow pack than most years. Had the rain been snow we would have gotten over 10' of snow. Today, at the lower ranch, bottle feeding a bull calf we want to sire a herd. More rain down here than last year at this time. Just went outside to see a Apricot Tree has burst into bloom. The wood stove is going every night wherever we are, but getting warmer, little by little.

Richard

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

I'm sure you all are going to hate me for saying this, but on the west coast, we are already ready to plant. My roses are already getting ready to bloom, and my blueberry bush has new growth. It's kind of nice, but then again not really, as our winter rainy season never came this year. So we are facing a water crisis out here this spring. It's been nice having sun all winter, but dang are we going to pay for it, lol
~~Ramona mother of fur babies~~

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Well, it got to 55 degrees here yesterday so we headed down to the garden. After shoveling anywhere from 4 to 6 inches of snow off the ground, we were left with 2 - 3 inches of ice covering the area :shock:

Well, didn't really think the ice wouldn't be there but we were still hoping. :roll:

At least now the sun can work directly on the ice and maybe by next week sometime we can break up the ice. Just need enough area to eventually plant the broccoli and kohlrabi :)

tenderloingardener
Cool Member

We were looking at the worst drought in something like 500 years for a while. We finally got some rain but remain at 30% of average.
When the farmers are irrigating in January that's worrisome in CA because agriculture is still the largest water expenditure. New methods have been employed in the industry to be less wasteful, but ut's still a lot of water.
Then we have those folk living in the desert down South who refuse to live as one should in a desert.
Don't get me started on golf courses. :x

Here in SF we have what is usually described as a meditteranian climate-more or less. It's been beautiful- in the mid 70's during the day, dropping to 53F or so at night. Low fog though I heard the fog horns this morning and can feel it sitting in front of the open window. When it's foggy the temperature feels about 10F colder than it is. We don't go far from home without a hoody. On the plus side small stores in high tourism areas do a booming business in fleece pullovers with "San Francisco" emblazoned on the front. :)

Right now the wind is picking up. It's usually very windy in the Spring, but it hasn't been too bad this year- yet. I think it's supposed to get a bit colder overnight tonight and tomorrow, but not much. A low of 48F tonight if memory serves (it usually doesn't).

Every section of the city also enjoys it's own microclimate and it's surprising how different things are only a mile or two away. I am still a newbie, but I've tried not only to pick herbs and flowers that I like, but are also hopefully pretty compatible with our little corner of the Universe. As usual I'm fretting over my seed trays like a hen with chicks. Please, please, please grow something! :|
The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco-Mark Twain
Shawna

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Well, the ice melted off the garden :) but only about 1 1/2 inches of mud is thawed :(

Some warm days coming up but still very cold nights in the teens so it'll be awhile longer before I can plant even my kohlrabi in the garden.

Can't wait!!!! :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Sunshine has arrived just in time for many of the plant starts . . . and my greenhouse heating budget :).

I'm only turning the heat on in there to assist the sun in the morning. Only the onions and cabbage family plants are in there overnight. It is probably a little cruel but, hey, it was that seeds' decision to sprout and begin to grow out there!

33 °F in there right now, predawn. 25° outdoors. Another day in the mid-40's but sunshine!

Decision time today as I begin to move some of the peppers into 4-packs. Well, the decision will be what to tell DW as I sneak those flats back in the house tonight and where I'm gonna put them thru the overnight hours! This might be the latest I have done that since I had that greenhouse heater installed. Doing what I can . . .

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh man, this hard winter just doesn't want to let go. Right now it is 20 degrees out there. I keep swearing that I'm not bringing the cold weather plants back in, but back in they are. Six trays of them now. I planted some already and sold some yesterday. So I was out last night covering all the stuff I planted. Hope it is enough. The ones in the ground were pretty well hardened. Tomorrow night it is predicted to go down to 19 degrees, near record cold for the date.

So everything will just stay in/ covered until after that.

sigh...
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

IT SUCKS HERE 20 degrees outside and the ground will not dry. We get 60 degrees for a day then in the 30's then in the 50's then in the 20's! I need to get potatoes in the ground but mother nature is being a pain this year!

applestar
Mod

It started to snow late PM and by sunset the ground was covered and white... again :?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

applestar
Mod

It's 8 PM and 62°F outside. I just started hardening off the eggplants two days ago and uppot them today, but I'm thinking of bringing the eggplants back inside . I'm late planting them in their ultimate location, but maybe this is an opportunity to keep them warm....

imafan26
Mod

June and you still have temps in the 60's.

It is a typical June here 83 degrees in the daytime 71 at night. Hot and humid. Thank god for brisk trade winds. On occasion a passing shower comes by, but that just increases the humidity when it steams off.

Peppers, eggplant, corn, squash are finally happy although some fungal issues after it rains but minimized with preventive fungicide.

Unfortunately weeds are real happy too.

applestar
Mod

I was going to emphatically say this is NOT normal... But checked the 10 day forecast and they say it's going down to 62°F again on Sundary night :shock:

Tonight is supposed to go down to 61°F and drizzle -- possibly local thunder showers.

...went out in the almost dark and brought the eggplants back inside -- they have been tucked under the garage V8 lights. I'm sure they will be happier there.

Cola82
Green Thumb

Winter is still dragging on here, too. Back down to the high forties all week. :/

When it's not cloudy or raining it's unbearably hot. Ugh.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, it hasn't been unbearably hot here. Warmest afternoon this year must have not reached 85°f. Supposed to be another 80° day, today. Then 62°, tomorrow . . !?

No, that will be the high. Overnight lows have pretty much stayed in the 40's! This isn't unusual, just not good growing weather for most garden vegetables.

Plenty of wind, some rain - it isn't very good weather for the gardener, either.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Do you keep growing some things in the greenhouse and hoop house?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The only things in the greenhouse are basil plants and some tomato plants that I don't need but inadvertently set out in the sun without hardening-off and burnt the leaves off them! They have been in there for a couple of weeks recuperating. Now, I've got to figure out what to do with them!

The plastic film came off the hoops recently. Too hot in those things when it is 80° and sunny! They could have an exhaust fan like the greenhouse but don't.

I've got everything including eggplants and some of that basil out in the open gardens, AppleStar. They are at the mercy of the "elements."

Steve

applestar
Mod

I'm determined to succeed with eggplants this year, and one of my strategies is NOT to let them get cold. In previous years, they have almost always experienced cold snaps that made them fold their leaves up "in prayer" and after that they sulked and would not grow up.

I'm planning to plant them in a plastic 1/2 barrel (it's light blue in color) or if I can get around to repairing the garden bench, I can put them in the giant black nursery planter that's holding up the seat and keeping it from collapsing. Then find the sunniest spot of lawn we have to plunk it in the middle of. (Well actually, I'll put the container there FIRST then plant. :P)

Lindsaylew82
Mod

It keeps raining, but not enough to be useful. It's just enough to make the heat and humidity miserable.
Lately it's been scorching hot (in the upper 80's, low 90's) during the day. 60's and 70's at night. Gladly up from the 50's at night. Reeking havoc On my tomato blossoms. We are finally setting fruit!

I love eggplant, but have been pretty unsuccessful at it. First flea beetles make it lace, then it just does poorly after that. I never really thought about cooler night temps affecting it... Maybe that's the one-two punch that makes it perform so poorly.
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

Lindsaylew82
Mod

It rained way to much to be useful tonight!!! Haha!
Our yard looks like a bog! Our garden paths are 45' long overflowing reservoirs.
Pretty nasty storms with hail for the past 3 hours. High winds! So glad I finished tying those tomatoes!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

applestar
Mod

Lindsaylew82 wrote:So glad I finished tying those tomatoes!
First nasty/windy storm of the summer always catches me off guard. We tend to have early spring high winds which I always think of as "Mary Poppins weather" then relatively mild air currents while the tomatoes are planted out, establishes and start taking off in leaps and bounds.

I just casually tied up the second tier, which means I'd better get serious before that storm comes blowing through!

Forecast over tonight is 52°F. The eggplants came inside again. Everyone else will just have to hunker down. So much need to get planted still. :roll:

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Haha! It's always in the nick of time. I spend at an hour every single day doing something. As long as I keep up on it, I enjoy enjoy it. An hour flies by. Tomatoes require tying up daily here, or they get messy!

Last night we had a storm come within a few miles. BIG lightning and thunder, but no rain. My uncle lost a large tree in his yard and has hail damage on his home...lives 3 miles away! Whew!

Beautiful day today! Tomatoes are still going strong! More and more blooms with fruit set everyday. 1 is now taller than me at 5'7". It's my yellow brandywine, and the leaves are HUGE!!! My cukes, squash, winter squash, pumpkins, and zucchini have taken advantage of all the heavy rains this week.
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Another hot dry day. 94 F. I top watered all our squash, zucchini, pumpkins, and cukes. Looking for squash bugs and their eggs. Nada! Score!!!
Looked back and the 3 year old was going behind me tossing "sprinkles" ( dandelion seeds... :shock: :roll: ) on the tops of the largest leaves. Sigh.
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Well, We had a fire, in the stove, this morning. It has been in the 80s and 90s but suddenly.

Richard

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The afternoon high was only 53°f, yesterday. I don't know why they bother to tell us that the wind chill is now 45° when there is 46° on the thermometer.

A high in the mid-60's holds real promise. I hope I'm not complaining about the heat in a few days. Shoot.

Steve

Lindsaylew82
Mod

It's hot! Real hot! I got called off work yesterday morning for low census. I was out in the yard doing big work during most of the morning and by noon it was in the high 90's. I had to water yesterday morning and this morning because I had some new additions. It hasn't rained with any effectiveness in a week or so. I'm sure it'll rain today though, since I watered. At 6am this morning, it was a balmy 84!

There's a storm a'comin!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Husband cut grass yesterday, but it was too late to spread it. Did that tonight just in time for the skies to open up! It's pouring! Slapping the windows! I hope my squash and zucchini don't get broken! :( They're getting pretty large canopies...
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was 85°f this afternoon. This will be the highest so far this year.

DW wanted to go home early from our garden work. It was okay with me. Only a week ago the high was 53°, a temperature more typical of April.

Back to the 70's for the remainder of the week with lots of cloud cover tomorrow. We will have a little more time to get used to this. Despite some cool June days, the month has been somewhat warmer than usual and should end well. We gotta stay away from that wind and chill or the warm season plants just won't grow.

Steve

JC's Garden

It was 89 and humid. Just got 1/4" rain and might have a little more on the way. Temp dropped to 81, nice. :D Went to check the garden and saw stuff i missed this morning. Okra, sugar snaps, strawberries, squash. Planted cucs and tomatilloes right before it got here. I'm good. :-()

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Got a nice useful rain tonight! Planted the last of my "no idea what they are, cause storm knocked them over" squash. I ran out of room in the squash/cuke area so I planted them in the tomato sections. I THINK they are acorn squash, but I'm not sure...
Picked 3 times the amount of beans tonight. Pouring rain beats smoldering heat any day!
I'm convinced the neighbors think I'm nuts. nutz:
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

imafan26
Mod

It was 86 degrees today, right now it is 79 but with 70% humidity. I'm glad the trades are still here. I drank 6 cups of water and soda today and peed once. I did sweat through my shirt and bandana more than once. I need a nice cold bath.

applestar
Mod

TMi I -- thanks for that image to start the day :>

My garden needs rain. Parts of the yard that are not getting watered by sprinklers are starting to dry up. If anyone is getting too much rain, please send the rain clouds this way. I'm going to water this morning -- I can't rely on "40% chance of rain" ...It will no doubt be just a little teaser ...just enough to darken the surface and increase humidity, but not enough to soak to the roots.

applestar
Mod

OK -- I watered pretty thoroughly AND caught a few slugs so it's sure to rain buckets now. :P

...hmmm but I patched up a leaky rainbarrel and added a two level/zone overflow. That might cancel the whole plus side and bring the probability down to zero, :roll:

Cola82
Green Thumb

It rained the day before yesterday and I'm kicking myself for missing my weekly milk spray application yesterday. Urgh. I set an alarm for tonight.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Wet. That is all.
We knew June was a bit damp. Mostly small showers day after day, brief interludes of pretty. That totaled over 6". The last night the weather gods told us not enough. Over 6" in 12 hr period. Have another day in the month, perhaps without rain. But if you are going to break records, lets go for 2nd, not just 3rd wettest for June, and have another day to do this!

As usual, be careful what you wish for, as we could easily slip into hot and dry. Sigh.
Have fun!
Susan

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”