applestar
Mod

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

Looks like fun! :D

It's officially -2°F outside, achieving our norm of negative single digits during January. :|
Temp in the unheated garage "v8 nursery" area on an old dresser along the interior wall by the door to the laundry room is 28.something°F and likely closer to 24-25°F on the floor near the doors where the peppers, etc. are being over-wintered, ....

The remote sensor located on the patio by the back door is registering 5°F (the sun might be starting to "warm" it).

But the remote sensor on the front porch got buried in snow and is registering 22.2°F -- small amount of heat generated by the battery plus the insulation (translate that to "mulch" :mrgreen: ) provided by the snow cover?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It has been a little "odd" here . . .

Some parts of California have had a record dry year. I think it is plenty dry here but we have benefited from some snowstorms moving down from Canada into the US northern Rockies. Lower elevations continued dry, higher elevations with near-normal snow.

I went for a drive thru a nearby university town today. No snow on the roadway under bright blue skies! The snow is only where the plows have moved it up on the sidewalks . . . Something wrong with that picture. At least, there haven't been a lot of students trampling over it lately.

I can't remember now when it snowed. There is a little in my yard that has been there for right at a month. Nothing much added to it and any that was, melted/sublimated away. Many days have passed without a single moment of sunshine. Christmas was White . . . with freezing fog! Never saw the sun - it was white up, down & sideways. New Years Day had a high of 31°f after an overnight low of 30° . . !

No sub-zero temperatures since early December - about that I'm glad but the dragging sameness of most of the days. Please! It was a pretty day today! I see a waxing moon setting in the West. What do you suppose that might mean? I wonder how deep the soil may freeze with constant "below freezing but nothing more" conditions. I'm not real sure how much good an insulating snow cover would do right now. Maybe if we have the same dull sameness of a slow melting, it wouldn't just run off the frozen ground.

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Very bad snow year, not even half what we should have, skiing is not to good, worst year yet. Rain has been low, between no snow pack and low rain fall, the reservoirs will not be full if this keeps up.
The things I do are an evolution and I am always learning. My way is not the only way of doing things, and I may and will change the way I do things as I learn better ways. So any advice that I give is in that spirit.

applestar
Mod

When I woke up at little after dawn this morning (around 7:30am), 4°F in the front porch and 5°F on the back patio. Windchill advisory of -15 to -20°F with current reported windchill of -5°F. BRRR!!!

Roaring wind all night which robs the house of any insulating thermal layer, and most of the "weathertight" double glazed windows were frosted on the bottom on the INSIDE this morning. (Good thing I only had the experimental overwintering cotton on any of the windowsills, but some of the plants reaching for the windows look frost bitten at the branch/leaf tips). 55°F in the family room "Winter Wonderland" -- colder on the floor for the " Cool Gang" and 28°f in the unheated garage "V8 nursery".

When the weather is like this, it's worse than a snowstorm. For the garden outside, it could have been freeze-dry weather, but we did have solid snowcover over the ground until two days ago then all day rain that melted them all, so the ground itself is saturated.
Wow the sun has been up for over an hour but the official temp has gone DOWN -- 3°F and windchill of -12°F now. :shock:
Last edited by applestar on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Temperature update.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

When I left home to go to work this AM, it was minus 5 degrees, with a wind chill of - 25 degrees. Just walking from the car to the building door, my cheeks, which were the only exposed skin, hurt.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

It was 48*F this AM, high today will struggle to get to 60*F, 23 MPH wind gusts. For South Florida, that is really cold. Mind you, I'm not complaining, I was wishing it would cool off a little. :lol:
My definition of insanity; trying to grow heirloom tomatoes in South Florida!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

PS NOW we are talking extreme weather!! This was right down near our all time record cold and was a record for the date.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I hate this time of year when there is nothing I can do out side and the seed catalogs are starting to come in!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

We are way low on snow here in the mountains also at the Nevada ranch. Bad for the skiing in the mountains and for the water table in the high desert.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ohio Tiller wrote:I hate this time of year when there is nothing I can do out side and the seed catalogs are starting to come in!
Start some seeds! :)

I hate all this too, but at least I have lights and seedlings in my basement!

But 2-4" of snow forecast for tonight and then getting cold. Lows at or close to 0 Tue, Wed and Thurs nights and then again Mon and Tues next week. Oh sigh... Way too much winter this winter! I need a trip to Florida!

Cola82
Green Thumb

We decided to make reservations for a weekend vacation at Crater Lake this year but it was already booked all summer so we chose the weekend before the snow is technically supposed to be cleared up.

I've read we're in for another mild winter in the PNW, so eh. There probably won't be much snow anyway. I'd like to be there in the snow, actually. The only consideration is the car, but they clear the roads through the mountains. We should be fine in our little Honda. And there probably won't be much snow. It's been very sunny lately, for which my psoriasis is grateful, if not the municipal water supply.

nzgardner
Newly Registered

February is almost here, meaning one more month of summer (although we have had a lot of high winds and rain in the last week, temps between 18 & 24 deg), and then in to autumn.

Being a beginner gardener looking at what I need to do and prepare in autumn :) exciting times ahead.

imafan26
Mod

Right now the wind is pushing the rain through my jealousie windows from the west side of the house which is an unusual direction. It came on all of a sudden and the curtains are blowing up. I can hear the wind and rain hitting the glass. Tomorrow the forecast is for more rain. Good thing I used some of the water from the rain barrels so there is a little space to collect more. I hope the wind does not knock my shade structure apart again.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Too bad about the skiing tom. I really wish there were a way to distribute some of this better. We had about 3 more inches of snow Mon night. Our average total snow from first of Dec to end of Feb is 17 inches. This year from 1 Dec, we have already had 20 inches.

In the meantime, right this minute, Jamie is taking the dog out to potty and the temp is minus 2 deg F. I'm very glad it is her dog!

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

It's gotten cool even here lately. We won't get out of the 60s for a high today, and the overnight low will be in the 40s. At least it's sunny. It is about 8 degrees colder than average, but we had the warmest december since the 1940's, so it is good to cool off, although I think the 40s is cold no matter where you are.

At least you guys in the freeze don't have to see 60 year old male snowbirds in Speedos walking along Hollywood's broadwalk! :eek:

applestar
Mod

Lots of snow on the ground. Currently 4°F with reported windchill of -13°F :shock:

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Right now in Nebraska I see it is 20degrees and sunny, but I am in Florida and it is a comfortable 47 and sunny. I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt and the locals all have winter coats on. They even talked about windchill on the weather reports. What you are used to I guess.
Paul F

Papajim
Newly Registered

35 degrees Fahrenheit, no snow on the ground, perfect time for garden planning with seed catalogs and gardening websites. :D
papajim

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Ha, PapaJim! You'll have these suffering folks moving out here!

It hasn't been above freezing for a week and I haven't seen the sun in days and days! The air has been terrible and the freezing fog made the roads like glass the last few days. (How am I doing?)

This afternoon, I will tell y'all about Great Falls current weather. Yep, if you want Montana weather, you can go with Great Falls but, ya gotta stick with it thru thick and thin!

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

The weather is actually nice here. It is almost like Spring conditions. Some days it is even "hot". Lots of my outdoor pepper plants are putting out leaves and some are putting out flowers as well. My Goji tree and lemon verbana are putting out leaves now too. I planted some peas and gonna start some Kale while it isn't too hot yet. I may even start my pepper and tomato starts today.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Great Falls, MT, it is 37°f at 5pm. It will drop to freezing by morning but the high tomorrow will climb above 50°! That's what the Weather Service says!

Compare that with St. Louis, MO. Bbrrrrr! An earlier time zone but already below zero! It will be in the teens once it warms up tomorrow. Then, snow and more subzero nights over the weekend . . .

St. Louis is at 43° North Latitude. Great Falls is at 47.5° North Latitude and nearly 3,000 feet higher in elevation!

I guess what is happening, and it happened two weeks ago when it was so cold in the Midwest, is the cold air from the north pulls warm air out of California. That warm air sweeps over Montana - at least over that part of Montana. The Midwest will warm up after awhile with some of that warm air. Californians would have every reason to complain if they don't get a little rain out of the deal.

Steve

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

The Governor announced a drought and wants everyone to cut water by 20%. They even got water police who will try to catch people wasting water.

valley
Greener Thumb

Well, it's snowing, we need this, hope we get a good bit.

Went skiing today, it was fun, fun and exciting, it was windy , the girls and I did about 10 runs, snow wasn't bad.

Richard

applestar
Mod

Tuesday's forecast for daytime high is 14°F with nighttime low of 1°F -- yes these are in Fahrenheit :shock:

valley
Greener Thumb

We're in the mountains and present, 6500' +, 30-32degrees F at night.
you're much colder in the Garden State.
We need a lot more snow. I'v seen years like this, where we've gotten great dumps of snow in February and march, I've seen 4' of snow here on July 4th.

Richard

valley
Greener Thumb

Just Went skiing, snow was good, went up soon as the lifts started moving, so we we, the girls and I, were skiing the corduroy. Then they opened the cattle gate and here they came, clowns skiing & riding beyond their skill, like they do when driving, but we got some good runs in.

It was overcast no wind, we're supposed to get snow Friday thru Sunday 1-3feet. The temp is just below freezing.

Richard

applestar
Mod

:shock: 2°F :shock:

gardeningwithe

We just had snow and cold again (teens and then single digits at night) but are in a warm up :P 31 currently with the possibility of seeing almost 50 tomorrow. WHOO HOO- then a weekend of warmer temps but lots of rain. Next week looks nice until Thursday when the cold returns (and possibly snow).

Overall though this part of TN has been colder than I remember with below zeros- however it is TN so it can snow one day and be 50 the next :> that part is nothing new. The swings do wreck havoc with allergy and cold sufferers though.

valley
Greener Thumb

Greetings, We are in proud receipt of 2' of Snow, over night. Today is our 19th Wedding Anniversary, wifey gave me a Infra Red Thermometer for this happy day, It's Snowing, great big flakes, and 29degrees, according to the new infra Red.

This morning I built a great, large, fire in the stove while wifey, Nicole, and the girls shoveled out to the barn. I cleaned the Hot Tub deck, GOOD SNOW. We very much needed this. Well, not where we have to shovel or blow it, But for Skiing YES!

Have a great week.

Richard

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

About a week ago it was supposed to rain. All we got literally was a few drop for like 2 mins. I wouldn't even call it sprinkling. Well last night it started to sprinkle a little. Today has been pouring rain. We needed this rain really bad because we are in a drought. I hope it keeps pouring and pouring for a few days.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Oh Punk, that's great news!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, so glad to hear that at least parts of California are getting a brief respite from the drought.

Here we had a brief respite from the snow and cold and then right back, with a major snow and ice storm (but not quite as bad as farther east, at least we didn't lose power). My car was parked on the street and the snow plow came by and buried it in snow and ice. It took me over an hour yesterday with two helpers to get the doors unfrozen, the windows scraped, and the car dug out, so that I could go to work.

Tonight it is going down to minus 1 degree, minus 10 with wind chill. Oh ouch! Normal for this date would be 41 (high) and 25 (low) and my little broccoli seedlings could go out to start hardening off. If it actually gets as cold as they say, that would actually be a record for the date. The previous record was plus 1, set in 1977, the blizzard year when the Ohio river froze over because it was so cold for so long.

Poor dog isn't getting much exercise, because who wants to be out walking the dog in weather like this!?

Cola82
Green Thumb

Snow! It snowed a bunch last week. The courthouse closed for the storm so the boyfriend was trapped at home with me and his aunt who came to stay with us. We made vegetarian chicken fried steak and a bunch of other really tasty things and watched movies.

It's melting now, but slowly. Temperatures are back in the forties but the slush is clinging to the road and gutters.

It was nice, though. I needed a good snow. It's just too bad it's always bone dry on Christmas.

valley
Greener Thumb

Sun's out! Outside temprature is 42 degrees. Time to see if I can get something done outside.

Richard
Attachments
winter 013.jpg

tomf
Super Green Thumb

For our friends down under.
https://theconversation.com/indian-ocea ... alia-20893

California is in one of the worst droughts they have had, some of what I have read say it is one of the worst in 500 years from the study of tree rings. In Oregon we have had one of the driest winters ever.
I was reading about the history of arctic vortexes; from 1900 when they started to record the events they happened once every four years on average, the last vortex even like this one happened seventeen years ago.
The things I do are an evolution and I am always learning. My way is not the only way of doing things, and I may and will change the way I do things as I learn better ways. So any advice that I give is in that spirit.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Its colder'n a well diggers asterisk here this morning. :(
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

(my back yard today!)
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

It has been raining/drizzling most of the day. The weeds are growing well. I have some spots on the peppers and eggplant

imafan26
Mod

It finally stopped raining long enough for the grass to be somewhat dry. I weed whacked my yard, front to back. I only had to change the spool three times and untangle it four times. I hate weed whackers. I can't weed whack wet grass without my weed whacker smoking. Unfortunately I weed whacked one of the tomatoes, but I only got one branch the other is climbing up the cucumber trellis. the cucumbers are missing in action somewhere below. The snow peas have flowers and I picked three pixie tangerines. They were sweet considering this tree has been on its own for years. The meyer lemon, satsuma, key lime and calamondin are all flowering now and the bay leaf is putting out new shoots. I guess they liked the rain as much as the weeds.

I finally got to my community garden and planted some romaine and beets. Harvested pak choy, carrots, broccoli and my neighbor gave me one of his giant papayas. I only got two bags of weeds today and I had to pull the chayote off my bartlett pear and one of the satsumas. My neighbor wanted the fruit so I tossed him a bunch. I have a hard time giving it away and I have upo soup in my frig right now.

The broccoli was delicious. I am amazed how long they keep producing shoots.

The forecast is for more rain mostly convection clouds in the afternoon and most of it are the usual windward and mauka (mountain) showers. It got up to 80 degrees today and it is muggy and the vog burns my eyes without the trades. The night temp was 69. I should be able to start the peppers and eggplant soon.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Snowing.

Freezing too but the forecast is for above 40°. That only happens this year when we also have wind gusts 35-45mph. The snow will melt. Snow has been in the yard since early December but nearly all melted when this round of warmer, windy weather started, last week. Cold next but only into the low 20's.

The pepper seed is all on hand and ready for starting. Maybe, we will have sunshine by the time the seedlings need to show up here beside me in the south window.

Steve

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”