Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

Susan W wrote:It's summer here folks! 90+ is summer, a tad early. Clue is the CICADAS are buzzing in evening time.

Funny you mention that! Yesterday I ran past a wooded area and I could hear this sound over the music from my ear buds. It was the cicadas! Even now resting in bed with a big loud box fan going, I can hear the chattering outside out closed bedroom windows.

It stormed really horribly tonight. The garden needed the rain, but not the hail, and the strong winds. I'm not looking forward to seeing the damage. The peaches are starting to soften, and I know there will be damage and loss. Hopefully the plants in the garden are still upright, and intact. We lost power for almost 2 hours. Pretty bad storm.

applestar
Mod

Oh no! Good luck, Lindsay :bouncey:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was 35.2°f at the nearest Weather Underground station to my garden this morning.

Officially, according to the NWS, it froze about 10 miles up the valley. Unofficially, it froze about 4 miles away. Personally, I can attest to frost on roofs less than one mile away.

I was standing by between 4am and 5am to turn on sprinklers if frost began to show up on the lawn. Didn't happen! Four days of 90's earlier this month ... then, it nearly freezes on the 15th!

Steve :roll:

imafan26
Mod

I didn't water the last two days because we have been having brief but short heavy showers. I went out today to water, good thing some of the plants were looking like they couldn't go another day. The weeds unfortunately are happy. I went to my community garden to water and the squash had two flowers then and now there are dozens of flowers. It started raining again while I was watering. It should be good until Sunday, but my home garden, looks like the potted plants are still drying too fast and need heavier watering. It is 76 degrees but 70% humidity with winds a measly 5mph so it is muggy. The trades should pick up tomorrow but more of the same is forecast with passing showers and temps in the mid 80's.

applestar
Mod

How about today? Longest day, right? Full moon, too. Is that always at Solstice?
image.jpeg

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Happy Summer Solstice!! AppleStar! You are spending too much time focusing on the plants. Yeah, moonlight has to do with the arrangement of the Moon, Earth and Sun. With us in the middle ~ Full Moon! The seasons have to do with the Earth's wobble ... Tilt a hemisphere towards the Sun ~ Summer!

Finally, some nice weather here ..! I hope.

Soon as I write this, I go back and see that tomorrow is supposed to be windy. Maybe it will be okay. Certainly, we should be used to "windy" around here and in my big veggie garden.

The highs for the week in low 80's and high 70's. Not, middle 90's and 50's! Lows won't be flirting with frost.

I should get some pictures of the difference between the vine crops. I had them on the phone once and went deletion crazy, finished and they had disappeared! Anyway, I said something bad about melons recently, at least they didn't die! Squash and pumpkins are fine, cucumbers are in the middle. Goes to show the difference between those somewhat related plants.

China Asters died and I won't take a picture. The ones closest to the protection of the sunflowers are okay. It's mostly an exposure problem and they don't handle it well. Oh yeah, another windy day, tomorrow!
But, I'm going to be optimistic about today and later in the week!

:) Steve

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

ShoooooooooWEEEE! It's hot! And muggy! And it hasn't rained in forever. I feel like I'm watering so much, but my plants are still showing signs of stress.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow, huge storm last night! High winds that kept switching directions, power outages, pounding rain, hail!!

I'm dreading going out in the garden to see what happened to it! :shock:

A friend of ours who lives six miles away didn't get any of it, not even any rain.... :?:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Need rain. Bad.

applestar
Mod

Two days ago, I was looking out of the window thinking the "promised" rain isn't happening (again! :x ), then I heard thunder so I asked DD to bring in the web tray of garlic I had drying out on the patio table in the shade. She came in with the garlic, saying that the sky was nearly clear out there in the back, and I went to look out of the FRONT window where there WERE some gathering clouds. She came back from washing her hands, and just STARED out the SIDE window -- it was a solid SHEET of rain. :eek:

We were saying that she had brought the garlic in just in the nick of time when the thunder and lightning show started, then as we wandered from window to window, one of the back window showed that the roof raingutter downspout wasn't keeping up and pouring out over the edge, while another window showed the trees and shrubs WHIPPED ABOUT by the gusting winds, but the scene outside the side window was CALM steady rain... Then we started to see white stuff like hail? :shock:

It was just crazy nutz:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

:shock: It still hasn't rained...since June 4th. Friday, it rained all over this county, except right here. :?

Water restrictions are coming..........

Peter1142
Green Thumb

We got plenty of overdue rain last week, but it is a cold spring and summer. It is regularly in the 50s overnight, and we only had the 90s once maybe so far. The garden doesn't seem to mind much though.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It juuuuuuuuuust started raining! And I think it just finished!

...was out spraying...go figure!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh geez..... our weather forecast is 90, 90, 97, 99, 95, 94, 96, 100, 100 and hardly any rain in there. Some of those may be record highs for the date.

Jan and Mar we had just slightly below historic average rainfall; Feb we had 7" of rain, 2" above average. So starting April we were just barely below typical rainfall total year to date. But since then we've had between 1 and 1.5" per month when typical is over 4 inches. For the period April 1 to now we are 8.6" below usual rainfall total for the period.

No wonder I am watering a lot! I watered yesterday and today, first time I have watered two days in a row. I try to water deeply and not every day, but things were wilting....

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

The heat is oppressive. And every time I spray ANYTHING..... it rains. But not if I need to water. We had a ZERO chance of rain the other night. Sprayed milk and yogurt mixture, and within an hour of starting the spraying, it was raining... uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here is a graphic of what is happening. We are right in that So TN - No GA red blotch = extreme drought. And it is only getting worse. Between now and the end of the ten day forecast temps range from 93 to 100 and there is NO noticeable rain in the forecast (one day possibility of .1 inch). We may possibly set temperature records some of those days and by the end of the month we will likely be at least ten inches below normal YTD rainfall totals! Trying to keep my garden alive! (but letting the grass die - if lawn can't survive on its own, we shouldn't have it).
Drought Monitor 7-2016.png
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

LIcenter

We are in a moderate drought. Brush fire warnings surround us. With a little luck we just might get some much needed rain tonight. Almost lost my house twice to brush fires. Safe to say I get very nervous when the grass crunches below your feet.

applestar
Mod

Last night went to bed thinking I will need to water in the morning....

Buckets of rain and thunderstorms this morning started around 5:30 -- before light. After 7 now and light enough to see, the entire garden is soaked and nearest weather station is reporting 1.68" I think Mother Nature is telling me to take it easy this AM. :D

applestar
Mod

Yesterday, just before sunset, this kind of thing was going on to the northwest of us
image.jpeg
I've NEVER seen the Spark map look like that. :eek:
Imagine multiple bolts of lightening streaking down from those black clouds. I couldn't capture them, but it was simply frightening. It was a rapidly moving storm and by the time it reached anywhere near here --after sunset -- the concentrated lighting storm had either spent itself or dissipated... But it rained BUCKETS... nearly 4 inches according to the nearest local weather underground station.

And apparently some kind of mini whirlwind had visited and went around playing mischief in my garden :o

-- newly planted tomato seedlings were beaten down into the ground
-- so glad I took pics of the sunflower already
-- container plants toppled here and there -- those two coffee and citrus are in heavy terra cotta pots and they need two people to carry

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Monday was the worst day so far this summer to be outside, in this area! However, I got close to an inch of rain in an early morning storm, and with that later storm it went up to 1 7/8" (the storms went north, so Apple got a lot more!), which is the most I've gotten in a couple of months, so I have to look at the bright side. Today, it was only 4º cooler, but much less humid, so I went out when I got off work and did a bunch of things. Yesterday, I didn't even look at my garden, so you know it was bad!

I lost a couple of tomatoes, as well as pepper plants in previous wind storms, but it looks like I was spared in this one. In those other storms, I would get 50-60 MPH winds, but almost no rain! One good thing about the dry spell - it was good for harvesting garlic.

littleeva9
Newly Registered

Right now here in NW Illinois it is storming. Lost the signal to both internet and TV about 15 minutes ago. Tomorrow we are to have a little bit of a cool down.

Eva

applestar
Mod

Pre-dawn temps went down to low 60's °F yesterday and today. Next week, back to regularly scheduled program for early August with another heat wave. Cicadas are as loud as ever, if not louder.

imafan26
Mod

I have had a wet summer. It has been raining a little most nights for about a week. We did get some heavy rain about a foot from Darby when it came by. This is like an El Nino summer in a La Nina year. The rain sure makes the weeds happy. It is overcast now with a light drizzle. It is forecast to rain again this weekend and thunderstorms as the remnants of TS Howard pass by. Ivette is following on Howard's heels and will probably bring more rain in the second half of next week. We have had an active season. So far the Pacific High has sheared off most of the energy from the storms but we still will get torrential rain and potential for flooding, slides, and power failures. Where I am the street can be about a foot deep in water but It goes downhill and the end of the hill is a cliff. My back patio will flood once the soil cannot hold any more water or if there is a downpour in a short time.

applestar
Mod

and the end of the hill is a cliff
:lol: picturing this is making me giggle... Here in southern part of NJ, it is flatter than flat. There are a couple of bumps that are called "Hill" -- when I was visiting Arizona, topography they called "hill" was like a "mountain"... Then we looked up and saw the REAL mountains :D

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Our afternoons will fall short of 90°f for one day this week, because of wind. That really ups the fire danger ... maybe it won't be too windy :roll: please ...

Back to the nineties for the weekend. Sunday should be the 25th day for the thermometer to have topped out above 90° this year. It's taken nearly three months but I'm wondering if we might have 1/3rd of the June, July and August afternoons with that much heat! (And still no 100° days!)

The clear, cool nights are saving us a lot of discomfort. By Sunday, they will be 2 hours longer here than they were at the summer solstice - from 8 hours to 10. I won't be rejoicing the loss of 2 hours of daylight but the full moon after all the afternoon heat is really making things easier :).

Steve
window open to 61° before dawn, 3 floor fans humming, 2 ceiling fans shooting indoor heat up, up and away!!

imafan26
Mod

It is going to get up to about 85 degrees. It feels hotter though since we have had all this light summer rain steaming things up. It is not so bad as long as the trades are turned on. Unfortunately right now it is 3 mph, so it is a good day to go to the mall, a movie or anyplace with air conditioning.

sunflower13

digitS' covered it for me. That's exactly my temperatures lol. I am excited to hear that the local weather government is predicting very nice temps for September so it looks like I might be able to recover some days lost due to icky weather that have really slowed my garden down.

applestar
Mod

Currently, at 5:30AM, 52°F :shock:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was 50°f here this morning, AppleStar.

Would that have prompted your surprised reaction, also?

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh man.... I'm getting tired of this. We did get a little break in there, with some days that didn't hit 90. But here's our current forecast:

94, 94, 96, 94, 94, 95, 93, 92. First chance of rain in the forecast is Sept 1 !! :shock:

Night time lows are all in the 70's.

imafan26
Mod

It poured yesterday and through the night. It cleared a little then rained again tonight. It has been hot and muggy because the wind is coming from the southeast. Which means there isn't much wind. Hopefully the trades will be back tomorrow. The temperature is going up to 89 again but it feels like 94 without the wind.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Oh man.... I'm getting tired of this. ...
RainbowGardener, have you seen this?

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sites/default ... ar-Map.jpg

Oh wait, you are in eastern Tennessee, not western. Odd how the date is so variable around the 48. Well, it doesn't show Hawaii or Alaska, either.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Our today's forecasted high is 90°F -- so much for the 50's :roll:

Our weather? Drought, drought, drought.

I set up a sprinkler in the front yard two days ago -- our odd-numbered watering day -- to run in the evening since I ran out of time for the morning slot. But with the sun setting earlier, I only dared to water from 6-7PM to allow the foliage to drip dry at least a little bit -- not enough. So I left it there until today and turned it on in the dark this morning. If I run this for 2 hours, the wilty stressed-looking shrubs and young trees should recover, and my espalier fruit tree row bearing this year's harvest should tide over until Thursday when we *might* get some rain.

I hate watering in the dark because I can't tell if the sprinkler is watering where I set it up to water.... I don't like wasting water on the lawn either but I need to water the shrubs in a widely scattered area so my best tool for now is an impact sprinkler with 360° adjustable distance that can water an irregularly shaped area. Next year, I guess I'll design and run a soaker hose run or something -- need something that will deliver a lot of water in a given sector in a short amount of time.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was 89°f, yesterday, after a morning low of 56°; 93° the day before, with a low of 52°.

One more day in the 80's, then showers and a big cool down. After so many days in the 90's, neither the 90's nor the 80's may return ... but, I am optimistic :).

My garden has had frost as early as 28 August one year. Got past that date ;).

Steve

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was 36°f on Friday morning and supposed to be in the thirties again tomorrow.

Lots of wind lately ... There are fires near the Columbia River but the cool temperatures must be helpful in limits to the fire dangers, especially at higher, forested elevations.

Here at 2,000 feet, just into the evergreen forests, the afternoon yesterday was a warm 81°. So, the garden plants are continuing to grow and mature. No rain in the forecast but I think we will have an okay week.

Steve

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Yes, I am preparing for frost tonight and a possible freeze tomorrow, usually this kind of weather holds off for at least another week.
I have canned what I needed to, any thing in the garden is extra and there is still so much out there. But the only thing I am covering is the Reaper peppers for my husband. My popcorn I got from a seed train from someone down south so I think it must need a longer season and might not make it, looks beautiful and needs about a week or two yet for the ears to fill out. Oh, well. They still sell it in the store, haha. First time I have tried popcorn maybe I will look for one for our zone. I still love to try the impossible.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oh sigh... today 92, tomorrow 93, Sun 92 and no rain, no rain. Monday we may get some break in temps and 60% chance of a tenth of an inch of rain. We actually had about half an inch last Sun, the first real rain in forever and who knows when the next one is. After Mon, temps are in the 80's, but zero rain the rest of the 10 day forecast. EXTREME DROUGHT. This area usually gets 4+ inches of rain a month every month of the year. We have had hardly any since sometime in May.

cass2828

today its..89 f here and its wet season!!! its frikin humid!!! its 68% humid and it feals like 95 F the next few months will be a messy humid wet season :?

applestar
Mod

45 ° F ! ...and all my tropicals are still out there!

...I do this EVERY year ! You would think I would have learned by now..... :?

cass2828

:P :D :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”