gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

Sunny and warm right now, but it's going to break loose this weekend with the tropical storm in the Gulf heading our way. They are saying up to 10 inches of rain possible by Sunday night and winds in the 60-70 mph range. Nowhere near Hurricane level, but still a lot of water for the sewer system to handle in that short a time since N.O. is pretty much a bowl.

If all goes like it has in the past, even that amount of wind will likely knock out power for a lot of the area, especially in areas like mine with tons of huge oak trees lining the avenues. Oh well, can't complain since we've pretty much dodged big storms since Katrina in 05-------and hope this run of luck continues. I'm getting too old to deal with that amount of damage again.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It looks like things in North America are livening up enough to warrant posting something like this. It should update and I hope it doesn't take too long for some of your internet service providers:

Lots of activity in some locations! Here, we had a beautiful fall day after the 3 light frosts. Another will occur this morning - we have just reached that "interesting" moment :wink: when there's frost on top my pickup but not on the windshield (3:30am).

Steve

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:It looks like things in North America are livening up enough to warrant posting something like this. It should update and I hope it doesn't take too long for some of your internet service providers:

Lots of activity in some locations! Here, we had a beautiful fall day after the 3 light frosts. Another will occur this morning - we have just reached that "interesting" moment :wink: when there's frost on top my pickup but not on the windshield (3:30am).

Steve

That little red squiggly thing in the Gulf is already dropping rain on N.O. It started just a few minutes ago and will do so off and on today and mostly all day tomorrow being the heaviest. Luckily the ground is not soaking wet going into this, but it's not entirely parched either. Should make for an interesting weekend of possible pirogue races between the rows.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

How can I get a job as a weatherman? Be wrong as much as right, get TV exposure and still make a good salary.

That Tropical Storm in the Gulf of Mexico did drop some rain on La. Not anywhere near the amount the forecasters were predicting. They were saying up to 8-10 inches over the weekend for our area and we got something like 1/2" that came down mid morning on Saturday. Not complaining mind you, since I can now get back into the garden and pull some more rows and get seeds in the ground with just damp soil and not slogging ankle deep in mud.

Plus side is we are having our first fall temps. this morning. It is in the low 60's outside right now and highs for today are expected to be in the mid to upper 70's. ABOUT TIME. :-() :-() :-()

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It is all about that bouncing, effervescent personality, Gumbo!

You'd make a fine "television personality!" Oh, you gotta be cute.

By the extracurricular things that these personalities do, I'm thinking that a weatherman's income may be as much from activities that are only marginally associated with their regular jobs. We are encouraged to go down to Big Frank's Car City because the weather guy is down there grilling a hot dog!

Must be something to it because he showed up (to pocket a few thousand $). Kind of like a congressman's Town Hall.

Steve

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:It is all about that bouncing, effervescent personality, Gumbo!

You'd make a fine "television personality!" Oh, you gotta be cute.

By the extracurricular things that these personalities do, I'm thinking that a weatherman's income may be as much from activities that are only marginally associated with their regular jobs. We are encouraged to go down to Big Frank's Car City because the weather guy is down there grilling a hot dog!

Must be something to it because he showed up (to pocket a few thousand $). Kind of like a congressman's Town Hall.

Steve

Hey, I can grill. I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille!!

imafan26
Mod

We are down to about eleven hour days (6:41 a.m.-5:51 p.m.). Right now it is 64 degrees. Today it was sunny but more rain is expected later this week. For a lot of you this is nice, but for me this is getting a bit chilly. I am wearing my sweats tonight.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Woke up to snow this morning! We had an inch or so of snow over night and the world turned white. But it is sunny out now and melting quickly. Ground isn't frozen yet, so this won't last long. This is our first snow of the season and earlier than some years.

We have ten hour days right now 7:18 AM to 5:26 PM (since we recently went off daylight savings time).

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Same old/same old, here. Which isn't so bad :) . We may have seen our last 50°f afternoon but getting a little sunshine and blue sky most every day. Despite a 2" snowfall and then 1/2" of rain, it has been dry the last few months - really, since spring.

It is interesting that our gardener on a tropical island is noting the length of day :wink: . RainbowGardener, my daylight is about what yours will be on December 21st! I'd hate to live further north . . .

Since 2/3rds of the population of Canada lives in Ontario and Quebec where the large cities are all south of here, I guess I've pushed the US envelope about as far north as I can without going to Alaska. No, thanks. I'm not saying that I don't like this part of the world but I'm glad I learned how to go to sleep while it is light out in the summer. I really find it difficult to resign myself to so much darkness at this time of year and . . . beyond . . .

Current sunrise, 6:51am; sunset, 4:16pm ~ 9½hrs and on my way to an 8½ hour day . . . And, that's "official." I don't have anywhere close to a level horizon.

:( Steve

imafan26
Mod

Before I went to Seattle to visit a friend, I had no idea what all the flap was about long days and short days. I had lived in Hawaii all of my life and the whole year the day lengths only vary by a couple of hours approx 11.4 -13.4 hours. That is when I discovered that the sun could set at 11 o'clock at night and then be up at 4 in the morning.

It was then that I really understood the difference and why I had to grow only short day onions and everbearing strawberries. It also explained why the elephant garlic got smaller than when I started it and why garlic planted in March also shrank but formed bulbs around May if I planted them in October. Luckily the kind at the grocery store was the right ones for me to plant.

In San Diego I saw my first cayote on a ridge and learned how big and noisy crows are. They are worse than bulbuls.

Someone showed us pictures of her visit home to Canada and I asked her how come she used black and white film, until I realized she was wearing a bright red coat.

I saw a whole host of plants that I never saw before like flowering kale in Las Vegas, cornflowers were yard weeds in Seattle and the pine trees were so big and tall and someone actually had a hedge of christmas trees (douglas fir) in their yard.

Las Vegas and Arizona had red rocks in the yards instead of dirt and the hills were painted in stark but beautiflul colors. I remember Arizona and California had huge cracks in the roads. There were no rain gutters or landscaping along the main thoroughfares in Arizona and construction worked nights because it was cooler. No one really went outside much in the middle of the day, but they had the best Mexican food, and I finally realized it was the salsas that made all the difference. It was also my first taste of Jamaica (roselle tea).

Despite all of these wonders, I just realized that there really is no place like home.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Friday Harbor, Wa.

Latitude: 48° 5343' North
Longitude: 123° 017' West

Sunrise: 7:15am
Sunset: 4:37pm

Average Rainfall 28"

Eric

applestar
Mod

This is kind of interesting 8)

6:40am--4:45pm here

We had mixed rain and big flakes of snow this morning just before the front crossed our area.

...Ok just checked the weather and the forecast for overnight low is 21°F :eek:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We had wind chill factors down in the teens last night, with our snow.

It is interesting about the times. You and I are in the same time zone, applestar, but I am on the far western edge of it.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

barnardsville, nc
35.8n 82.4w
7:02am-5:42pm

low of 17 tonight, windchill might get to 7...

applestar
Mod

Living Earth app view of the -- what is it called? Twilight line? (hm... does that sound right?)
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Here's one from this morning.
If you zoom in and scroll to the left, there's a tiny little dot of light in the Pacific (Hawaii):
image.jpg

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

tomorrow it is going to be -32 c (-25F) tomorrow... we just got record snow falls over the last week 32cm ... too much! it is cold. thank goodness I have my small indoor garden!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh man, oh man, oh man! That is just way too cold! It is near our record cold ever, a record set back in the 1970's.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

We end up getting that cold and colder a few times a year. 2-3 days then we bounce back to just cold ;)

it was a slow drive to work today!

imafan26
Mod

Today has been hot and muggy. Kona weather. The wind a measly 2 mi per hour. The temperature is 78 which isn't bad. It has been overcast and hazy all day. The vog is thick and my eyes are burning. This is good take a day nap weather.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Sounds delightful ! Want to trade ? :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Mostly clear and 27F

The ducks pond froze over last night and only partially melted during the day. It will add thickness tonight.

Eric

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

-25f :(

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Northernfox wrote:-25f :(
Stephen, That's just a little cold to be gardening. How about you walk over to Labrador and pick me up a new dog. :lol:

Eric

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Walk might be a stretch 4500 km and all. Give me 3 days and gas and I'll have you a Labrador dog at your door :) it was a miserable day here. I just hope my perennials are alright !

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In the USDA cold hardiness zone system, zone 3 is defined as having winter minimums down to -40 deg F. Sounds like that might be you.

Perennials that are hardy in zone 3 include asters, astilbe, black eyed susan, coneflower, peony, sedum.

Here's more: https://www.perennialresource.com/articles/?Page=540

But that depends on them being established, that is planted in spring and having done well through the season and having some reasonable amount of winter protection, I.e. mulched well.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Yup that's me :) typically we have sufficient snow cover and I am able to insulate them with the snow. I have not had any winter kill in the last few years I just worry until I see the first free buds in the spring :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The air ~ koff ~ is ~ koff ~ bad.

Finally, the sun came out! I knew it was up there. Above that blanket of air surrounding all of us. And, now there is some air movement -- Thank Heavens!

Does this website know where I live?

If you click "Highest 5: Current AQI" (link) are all the sites in Nevada, Oregon, Washington & Idaho??

Steve
~ koff ~

imafan26
Mod

Wow. That was a neat link. I never saw that one before.

Today was pretty good. The trades are back at 11 miles per hour, so the vog is gone, and it is 75 degrees out now. A good beach day, waves are small but on the rise. Tomorrow should be a good surf day as the swell is on the rise (4-7 ft waves predicted) . Instead of skiing, winter here is time for big surf.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Stephen,

I burned a third pile of brush today. Each pile 10ft in diameter and about 4ft tall. Should help speed up Climate Change. Your lows should only be -20f next winter. 8) :P

Eric

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Thanks Eric! Did you bring the marsh mellows ? :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Northernfox wrote:Thanks Eric! Did you bring the marsh mellows ? :)
"mallow"

No, but I do have Hollyhocks. :lol: :P

Brats and a beer would have been good. :wink:

Eric

webmaster
Site Admin

First snowfall today. :D

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I am going to blame auto correct on that one :)

That would have been good!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Freezing rain followed by 2-4 inches of snow this afternoon. Cincinnati Public Schools are closed for the day, earliest in the school year they have ever closed! (We don't usually get our severe winter weather until Jan/Feb)

Staying in and decorating for Christmas!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Today? In a word NASTY! In 2 words STAY IN! The huge system, well front, that went across TX and Arkansas is with us now. Rain, light to heavy, (sleet in area) temps around 32, and going down. Trees already icing. Needless to say, schools are closed, many businesses closed or locking up early. Many holiday events cancelled or set for next weekend. Our farmers market cancelled for tomorrow, Saturday duh! (no rain/sleet/snow, just morning start of 20 perhaps getting to 30!). The St Jude's (childrens research hospital) Marathon is still on, and that will be one chilly run. That is a great cause, and a huge fund raiser for St Judes, but does lock up a big section of town.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I laughed pretty hard seeing a gardening friend of mines pictures from Texas! a little bit of snow ;) it feels like -41 here and it is snowing more. I think we are well over 2 feet of snow!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It all has to do with what we are used to, Stephen. I was just reflecting on the fact that my great uncles had moved from this corner of the world to Edmonton before the winter of 1949/1950.

Ten of the 31 January daily record lows, were set that winter and are still in place! But, Edmonton!? Whatever were they thinking!! Aw well, they were gettin' old and probably not thinking very clearly :wink: .

Kidding!!!

Steve
temperatures down to single digitS' tonight with wind gusts to 20mph and below zero °f wind chills.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

It's part what one is used to, both people and plants, but what is happening. Going out and driving in sleet/freezing rain is not good anywhere! Then ice build-up on twigs and branches and of course power lines can be problematic.

Susan -staying in, and hope power stays on

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

digitS' wrote:It all has to do with what we are used to, Stephen. I was just reflecting on the fact that my great uncles had moved from this corner of the world to Edmonton before the winter of 1949/1950.

Ten of the 31 January daily record lows, were set that winter and are still in place! But, Edmonton!? Whatever were they thinking!! Aw well, they were gettin' old and probably not thinking very clearly :wink: .

Kidding!!!

Steve
temperatures down to single digitS' tonight with wind gusts to 20mph and below zero °f wind chills.

DigitS I live just outside of Edmonton now ;) But when I moved here it was about 1000km further south then where I grew up in Yellowknife! Getting used to this is one thing but when it is colder in Edmonton then Yellowknife it makes me shiver just a bit more ;) time to start the car so I can go home in awhile!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”