applestar
Mod

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

Stepped outside with a mug of coffee for a leisurely tour of the garden to mentally catalog what needs doing -- As soon as I stepped off the patio, it started to spit, walked to the pond and started to rain, walked to the compost pile and it started to POUR :shock: Big fat pounding drops of pouring rain. :roll:

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Sunny today, although saw some black clouds earlier. New office policy: Go home early if Friday and sunny.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Nice out here now! Breezy, mid 60s, and no more rain.

imafan26
Mod

It has been cloudy and hazy all day. A thunderstorm just passed by with some heavy rain for a couple of hours, but it looks like it has passed. It is still cloudy though. At least I had enough warning to bring Mr. Lincoln rose into the lanai so it wouldn't get wet.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The first day in a veggie garden. (Potatoes, the onions going in as sets, and 1 bed of peas planted :) .)

Those beds had been cultivated last fall and only needed a little work. The soil is wet but we were able to stay on the paths.

Left the greenhouse at home with minimum ventilation. The sky was overcast and it was 40° outdoors but warm enuf in the greenhouse. Four miles away at the little veggie garden, it snowed for a few minutes when we first arrived.

Then, the sky begins to clear and the sun breaks thru repeatedly until we can get just what we need to do and get back to the greenhouse. Three hours and it's hit 47° for an afternoon high. Most of the clouds were back :roll: . Fairly comfortable in the greenhouse but it hit 89° while unattended. Dang. Yeah, one small fan on the thermostat for intake and no auto on the exhaust ... takes attention even if the outdoors never warms out of the 40's.

Steve
plants all seem fine :D

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I don't recall emperature swings like what we are having.
Forecast shows 30's for tonight and 71 for tomorrow.
That's like going from Winter to Summer in one day.

imafan26
Mod

It rained annoyingly yesterday morning and I was tired so I didn't water the garden yesterday. I went out with my mom for most of the day today. By the time I got out at 4:30 to water, a lot of the plants were limp. Hopefully, I got to them in time.
It was around 63 last night, and around 83 degrees at my mom's house, probably 79 at mine. It is 70 degrees right now. A lot of haze (vog) and no wind so it feels warmer. Except for the haze it was a nice sunny day.

PinkPetalPolygon

BirdLover wrote:I don't recall emperature swings like what we are having.
Forecast shows 30's for tonight and 71 for tomorrow.
That's like going from Winter to Summer in one day.
You're telling me!!! (Fellow west coaster here, & I firmly agree, haha!)

My high today was 71 with lows in mid 40's, but when I looked at the forecasts for next week, particularly next Wednesday?

I actually screamed! It says (as of today at least) that next Wednesday is going to be 86 degrees with a low of 55. :shock:

I can't believe that. I don't wanna believe that.

But hey. My early early early girl tomato is already a coupla feet tall and budding to make actual tomatoes. I guess we're more than ready. Err, I mean I am!

Hehe! I used to HATE hot weather, or weather that wasn't cool at least, before I started gardening.... now the more heat feels like the more energy I have to work with. I love it.

(Although I must say, going from winter to summer like blam doesn't feel right, >_>)

PinkPetalPolygon

I just got SO excited! :o

Sooo, next Wednesday got bumped up to a forecast of 88 degrees, right?

"They" are now forecasting a rain storm on the following Friday! it says it will swing from 88 Wednesday to 68 Friday with rain, for 1-3 days on and off.

I realize the forecast/weather could change any moment (hah)

I am still REALLY excited for more/any rain. April showers were supposed to bring May flowers as I recall. I guess it being 90 degrees in April brings May flowers to April though so hey! ;)

applestar
Mod

22°F this morning here. Peaches already bloomed and pears and cherries were starting to open....

huntress

Southeast Wisconsin, zone 5: We have had some warmer days in the 60 degree range already this year, however the last week it's been very cold. Below freezing on Monday, and high 30's this week. We also have had a lot of rain the past couple weeks. Today it is cloudy and overcast, might get to mid 40's. Snow and more freezing temps predicted later this week.

The area I am in gets "lake effect" precipitation from Lake Michigan. :?

I have seedlings sprouting, but don't trust to plant them outside until next month. A lot of gardeners here wait until Mother's Day to put anything tender outside.

My part of Wisconsin has had a mostly mild winter, and we already have a lot of perennials popping up. My daffodils are a foot tall and have beautiful green flower buds! :D

MichaelC

My weather is driving me nuts. We're back to cold and rainy. The only thing happy about that are the peas.

About a month ago, I cut down my cover crop and tilled it in. Then El Niño dumped inches of rain on it, ruining the tilth I had created.

The soil was just getting to be dry enough to work again, and now here comes more rain.

Argh!!!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Weird weather patterns here too. 80 degrees on Monday & broke the record for that day. 80 degrees in April is unheard of for this area. We usually don't have that kind of heat until August.
My lilacs are in full bloom. The used to bloom in May. They have been a month early for the last couple of years.
The temperature swings seem to be more extreme than what I'm used to.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

It's unusually hot here today. Seattle 90 degrees, so I heard. 85 here where I am. This is unheard of for this area. It feels more like Arizona or California weather than Washington weather. This is definitely not a typical spring. All of my plants are blooming 1 month earlier than they usually do. Crazy, crazy weather.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Temp in the 70's-3 1/2 inches of rain yesterday-so far no rain this morning, but more is predicted. It is wet, and humid.

applestar
Mod

It got REALLY hot -- by our standards -- yesterday 78°F, then thunderstorm came late, two other systems that were in the forecast skirted us ...didn't look like we were going to get hit at all -- then pounded and didn't stop until sunset. Went out to bail out my mater babies and was at it until dark.... Too late and tired to haul the wet seedlings back inside somewhere.... Checked before going to sleep and found out the forecast had changed to as low as 44°F by morning Image

Sorry wet babies, you will just have to deal --- at least I had remembered at the last minute to bring the two eggplants back inside.

...looking at the temp its 48°F outside now, but wet and cold.... Ugh. Overcast and not going to be very warm today either. Ups and downs of hardening off.

Don't you hate it when seedlings you've been nurturing for weeks, that looked perfectly lovely until yesterday suddenly looks terrible? I'll find out once the sun rises.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I'm having so much trouble with indoor space, outdoor security.

We had our record highs, in mid-80's, then a nice little rain. Frost on Monday followed.

The Monday frost just might be the last! If so, it will be around 10 days early. Will the weather warm much? Who knows?! We had a blazing hot, record-setting June in '15. Usually, Mayvember and Junuary are tortuous to the plants freshly set out; last year, I had some of them fry!

I've got plant starts in temporary hoop houses over garden beds. They are also in "hoopies" on the lawn! There is temporary heat available in the way of little bathroom heaters and fans but the newest plants out in the hoopies just have a tarp thrown over the plastic film! I take that off and prop up the film so it's not a solar oven thru the day!

Yikes! Yikes! Triple Yikes! I'm packing tender plants around the yard constantly trying to keep them from freezing, drying out, or burning up! So much stress ... okay, truth be known, a little less than usual ... Excuse me, I need to check remote thermometers and may need to go out in the dark with a flashlight ... it's 3:30am.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

77 and sunny and beautiful right this minute, on the way up to 86 later today (says the forecast). 88 by Friday (forecast revised, yesterday it said 90), but then it cools off again. 5/3 - 5/6 in the 70's every day. Endless spring! :)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's been absolutely beautiful all week! Ideal spring! Pollen is overwhelming at the moment. Could stand a day of rain!

imafan26
Mod

It has been raining at night for a couple of days. I haven't been to my community garden since Sunday and I watered in the rain. Today should be my community garden day to water but because it was raining when I went to sleep and still raining this morning, I think I am going to wait until Sunday again. I only water the community garden twice a week except when it rains. The plants there are used to dealing. When I do water it is for an hour. Timers are not allowed so I have to be there to attend the watering. During the day there has been some morning trade showers which is annoying but normal. It is 72 degrees right now and will get close to 80 today. It feels warmer since the wind is only 3 miles per hour. It is still pretty overcast with patches of blue.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I am on a trip to D.C. and the weather here has been all over the chart. Shorts and T shirt first three days, and some cold wind and rain for the last two. Today looks ok but cloudy.
Meanwhile back at home the growing weather has been fantastic. Can't wait to see what the little plants have done while I have been gone 10 days. Sometimes they like that better!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Reading what @Gary350 had to say about Tennessee highs and lows on the "almost" spring thread made me think to respond here.

I set out some tomatoes, half the tomato patch is filled. I doubt if I have ever set out tomatoes here so early! The temperature dropped to 39°f earlier this week but honestly, I think that will be the last we see of the thirties. Missed a record high by 2°, Tuesday. It was above that record in my neighborhood (86°) but that isn't where any official thermometer is kept. Ya know, some of these records go back before I was gardening!

If I lose the tomatoes, there are duplicates here at home. It helped me free up some space in "protected growing." I feel silly covering things at night. Keeps the cats out and I don't want plastic film to blow away if the wind comes up ... Of course, 39° would not be kind but right now it's 54° at 7am and wet from an overnight shower. Adjust and adapt ...

Gardening ..!

Steve

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It got pretty chilly here last night! Don't to 42. I was starting to get a little nervous. Warmed up to 63. Which is still a little low for us. We are looking better temp wise for the rest of the week. Possibly stormy this evening. Wouldn't hurt my feelings!!!

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Here in BC Canada it gets pretty warm during the day (30°F) however it's cold during the night (10°C) and we have had such high winds recently!
I'm lucky I didn't plant my tomatoes outisde yet; or else they would have been wind damaged!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Warm and dry. April 2016 was warmer than it's ever been - broke the record for that month. It seems more like August than May.
That wildfire up north in Canada is crazy. An entire city on fire. Fueled by the dry trees. I feel sorry for the people who lost their homes and businesses.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

BirdLover wrote:Warm and dry. April 2016 was warmer than it's ever been - broke the record for that month. It seems more like August than May.
That wildfire up north in Canada is crazy. An entire city on fire. Fueled by the dry trees. I feel sorry for the people who lost their homes and businesses.
Yes, it's true. In BC it's as hot as it normally is in July or August! In some places it is like 40° and the Okanagan area always gets fires in the Summer. We were camping once there and we could actually see the fire burning the forests. It was quite scary.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Insurance companies - it's their turn to pay, to rebuild that city. They'll try to get out of having to pay. We know that they will.

imafan26
Mod

It is raining again. It is supposed to be April showers bring may flowers. However, May showers ruins flowers. It is 74 degrees and 82% humidity but the wind is 7 mph.... muggy.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Hot and sticky. I swear I saw my birds panting today... :roll:

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

High of 45, low of 27, wind gusting to 45mph. Ice pellets. The wind has been like this for months. Hardening stuff off is difficult.

applestar
Mod

Wow that sounds REALLY difficult, @sweetiepie. Do you use cold frames or a (solid) green house? Maybe an area securely surrounded with pallets at least....

applestar
Mod

It was HOT just yesterday or the day before, now the forecast for Sun-Mon is upper 30's - that's °F :eek:

Can't believe this is a whole week AFTER Mothers Day. I wanted to start planting my tomatoes this weekend....

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Bummer!!! That really sucks! Apple!

It's been absolutely perfect spring weather here! We could stand to have a good soaking rain.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

No soaking, just frequent sprinkles.

The rain is circling the Columbia Basin but in the mountains on all sides. It's kinda fascinating to watch the radar the last 18 hours.

The light rain is welcome and a quiet day, more so. It was windy too many days lately. The 35+ mph wind gusts were hard on the newly set out plants! Really, the big veggie garden is in about the most windy place around. The volunteer weather underground station (a middle school) about 2 miles away has an inaccurate wind gauge. The department of transportation weather station finally installed a wind gauge. Anyway, my garden is a little higher and the wind comes over nearby hills and just smacks it!

Hopefully, the plants are recovering today and the forecast is for the wind not to be much over 10mph through the next several days. Temperatures have been and likely will remain good.

Steve

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Anyway, my garden is a little higher and the wind comes over nearby hills and just smacks it!
Why we can't use any other tomato stakes other than rebar!

It's cold here. Last night we had low 40's and tonight as well. Not loving it. The wheat is loving it!!! The okra and tomatoes are NOT happeh!

Could still use that rain!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

currently 35F out there. hope all the stuff I neglected to bring in last night is alright out there...

applestar
Mod

It went down to 38°F here. I started bringing in all the seedling trays yesterday around noon -- was glad for it because the wind picked up and gusty by 3 PM even though sun was shining and my poor plants looked sad in the darker indoor conditions.

Now I'm sitting here wondering if I DID bring in everything I should have.... :roll:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Lindsaylew82 wrote:
Why we can't use any other tomato stakes other than rebar!

... The wheat is loving it!!! ...
Wheat? This is wheat country. I think of South Carolina as "rice country." But, it says right there "upstate." :)

I finally gave up on staking tomatoes. It just seems better that against the wind (& sunscald) for them to just hug the ground.

Yes, cold, wind and UV sunlight - all concerns for hardening off plants. But, we can do it. Off to put the eggplant out ..!

Steve

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Wheat? This is wheat country. I think of South Carolina as "rice country." But, it says right there "upstate." :)
Yeah wheat... We brought it in with our "straw". Can I put that in double quotations to exaggerate the sarcasm?.... ""Straw"" ugh... :roll: I may permanently change to pine straw! $$$ :evil:

Tomatoes on the ground promptly rot in this mess of thing called weather. Even with straw!

I'm giving up on eggplant.

I asked for rain, and rain it did! And did and did and did, and will do and do and do. For the next 3 days! Here come the cracks!!!

I'm feeling whiney.... Meh.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I see ;).

The wheat came in with the straw mulch. Maybe, you can just turn it over ... This was once Bluegrass Country. I bet some people have a different idea with that statement ... but, no. I even once worked on an Idaho bluegrass farm. Took a couple bales of bluegrass straw home, one day. It grew the most amazing lawn :)!

My tomato patch mulch is gravel. You see, I garden on glacial till. That suggests pre-historical weather gardening problems. Anyway, after running the sprinklers a few times, the surface "soil" pretty much disappears and is replaced by gravel ...

Rain could assist with that mulch "placement" but, after getting only 1/3rd of normal April precipitation, we have had just .27" of sprinkles, this month.

Steve

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”