applestar
Mod

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

It got REALLY hot -- by our standards -- yesterday 78°F, then thunderstorm came late, two other systems that were in the forecast skirted us ...didn't look like we were going to get hit at all -- then pounded and didn't stop until sunset. Went out to bail out my mater babies and was at it until dark.... Too late and tired to haul the wet seedlings back inside somewhere.... Checked before going to sleep and found out the forecast had changed to as low as 44°F by morning Image

Sorry wet babies, you will just have to deal --- at least I had remembered at the last minute to bring the two eggplants back inside.

...looking at the temp its 48°F outside now, but wet and cold.... Ugh. Overcast and not going to be very warm today either. Ups and downs of hardening off.

Don't you hate it when seedlings you've been nurturing for weeks, that looked perfectly lovely until yesterday suddenly looks terrible? I'll find out once the sun rises.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I'm having so much trouble with indoor space, outdoor security.

We had our record highs, in mid-80's, then a nice little rain. Frost on Monday followed.

The Monday frost just might be the last! If so, it will be around 10 days early. Will the weather warm much? Who knows?! We had a blazing hot, record-setting June in '15. Usually, Mayvember and Junuary are tortuous to the plants freshly set out; last year, I had some of them fry!

I've got plant starts in temporary hoop houses over garden beds. They are also in "hoopies" on the lawn! There is temporary heat available in the way of little bathroom heaters and fans but the newest plants out in the hoopies just have a tarp thrown over the plastic film! I take that off and prop up the film so it's not a solar oven thru the day!

Yikes! Yikes! Triple Yikes! I'm packing tender plants around the yard constantly trying to keep them from freezing, drying out, or burning up! So much stress ... okay, truth be known, a little less than usual ... Excuse me, I need to check remote thermometers and may need to go out in the dark with a flashlight ... it's 3:30am.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

77 and sunny and beautiful right this minute, on the way up to 86 later today (says the forecast). 88 by Friday (forecast revised, yesterday it said 90), but then it cools off again. 5/3 - 5/6 in the 70's every day. Endless spring! :)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's been absolutely beautiful all week! Ideal spring! Pollen is overwhelming at the moment. Could stand a day of rain!

imafan26
Mod

It has been raining at night for a couple of days. I haven't been to my community garden since Sunday and I watered in the rain. Today should be my community garden day to water but because it was raining when I went to sleep and still raining this morning, I think I am going to wait until Sunday again. I only water the community garden twice a week except when it rains. The plants there are used to dealing. When I do water it is for an hour. Timers are not allowed so I have to be there to attend the watering. During the day there has been some morning trade showers which is annoying but normal. It is 72 degrees right now and will get close to 80 today. It feels warmer since the wind is only 3 miles per hour. It is still pretty overcast with patches of blue.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I am on a trip to D.C. and the weather here has been all over the chart. Shorts and T shirt first three days, and some cold wind and rain for the last two. Today looks ok but cloudy.
Meanwhile back at home the growing weather has been fantastic. Can't wait to see what the little plants have done while I have been gone 10 days. Sometimes they like that better!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Reading what @Gary350 had to say about Tennessee highs and lows on the "almost" spring thread made me think to respond here.

I set out some tomatoes, half the tomato patch is filled. I doubt if I have ever set out tomatoes here so early! The temperature dropped to 39°f earlier this week but honestly, I think that will be the last we see of the thirties. Missed a record high by 2°, Tuesday. It was above that record in my neighborhood (86°) but that isn't where any official thermometer is kept. Ya know, some of these records go back before I was gardening!

If I lose the tomatoes, there are duplicates here at home. It helped me free up some space in "protected growing." I feel silly covering things at night. Keeps the cats out and I don't want plastic film to blow away if the wind comes up ... Of course, 39° would not be kind but right now it's 54° at 7am and wet from an overnight shower. Adjust and adapt ...

Gardening ..!

Steve

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It got pretty chilly here last night! Don't to 42. I was starting to get a little nervous. Warmed up to 63. Which is still a little low for us. We are looking better temp wise for the rest of the week. Possibly stormy this evening. Wouldn't hurt my feelings!!!

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Here in BC Canada it gets pretty warm during the day (30°F) however it's cold during the night (10°C) and we have had such high winds recently!
I'm lucky I didn't plant my tomatoes outisde yet; or else they would have been wind damaged!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Warm and dry. April 2016 was warmer than it's ever been - broke the record for that month. It seems more like August than May.
That wildfire up north in Canada is crazy. An entire city on fire. Fueled by the dry trees. I feel sorry for the people who lost their homes and businesses.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

BirdLover wrote:Warm and dry. April 2016 was warmer than it's ever been - broke the record for that month. It seems more like August than May.
That wildfire up north in Canada is crazy. An entire city on fire. Fueled by the dry trees. I feel sorry for the people who lost their homes and businesses.
Yes, it's true. In BC it's as hot as it normally is in July or August! In some places it is like 40° and the Okanagan area always gets fires in the Summer. We were camping once there and we could actually see the fire burning the forests. It was quite scary.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Insurance companies - it's their turn to pay, to rebuild that city. They'll try to get out of having to pay. We know that they will.

imafan26
Mod

It is raining again. It is supposed to be April showers bring may flowers. However, May showers ruins flowers. It is 74 degrees and 82% humidity but the wind is 7 mph.... muggy.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Hot and sticky. I swear I saw my birds panting today... :roll:

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

High of 45, low of 27, wind gusting to 45mph. Ice pellets. The wind has been like this for months. Hardening stuff off is difficult.

applestar
Mod

Wow that sounds REALLY difficult, @sweetiepie. Do you use cold frames or a (solid) green house? Maybe an area securely surrounded with pallets at least....

applestar
Mod

It was HOT just yesterday or the day before, now the forecast for Sun-Mon is upper 30's - that's °F :eek:

Can't believe this is a whole week AFTER Mothers Day. I wanted to start planting my tomatoes this weekend....

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Bummer!!! That really sucks! Apple!

It's been absolutely perfect spring weather here! We could stand to have a good soaking rain.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

No soaking, just frequent sprinkles.

The rain is circling the Columbia Basin but in the mountains on all sides. It's kinda fascinating to watch the radar the last 18 hours.

The light rain is welcome and a quiet day, more so. It was windy too many days lately. The 35+ mph wind gusts were hard on the newly set out plants! Really, the big veggie garden is in about the most windy place around. The volunteer weather underground station (a middle school) about 2 miles away has an inaccurate wind gauge. The department of transportation weather station finally installed a wind gauge. Anyway, my garden is a little higher and the wind comes over nearby hills and just smacks it!

Hopefully, the plants are recovering today and the forecast is for the wind not to be much over 10mph through the next several days. Temperatures have been and likely will remain good.

Steve

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Anyway, my garden is a little higher and the wind comes over nearby hills and just smacks it!
Why we can't use any other tomato stakes other than rebar!

It's cold here. Last night we had low 40's and tonight as well. Not loving it. The wheat is loving it!!! The okra and tomatoes are NOT happeh!

Could still use that rain!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

currently 35F out there. hope all the stuff I neglected to bring in last night is alright out there...

applestar
Mod

It went down to 38°F here. I started bringing in all the seedling trays yesterday around noon -- was glad for it because the wind picked up and gusty by 3 PM even though sun was shining and my poor plants looked sad in the darker indoor conditions.

Now I'm sitting here wondering if I DID bring in everything I should have.... :roll:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Lindsaylew82 wrote:
Why we can't use any other tomato stakes other than rebar!

... The wheat is loving it!!! ...
Wheat? This is wheat country. I think of South Carolina as "rice country." But, it says right there "upstate." :)

I finally gave up on staking tomatoes. It just seems better that against the wind (& sunscald) for them to just hug the ground.

Yes, cold, wind and UV sunlight - all concerns for hardening off plants. But, we can do it. Off to put the eggplant out ..!

Steve

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Wheat? This is wheat country. I think of South Carolina as "rice country." But, it says right there "upstate." :)
Yeah wheat... We brought it in with our "straw". Can I put that in double quotations to exaggerate the sarcasm?.... ""Straw"" ugh... :roll: I may permanently change to pine straw! $$$ :evil:

Tomatoes on the ground promptly rot in this mess of thing called weather. Even with straw!

I'm giving up on eggplant.

I asked for rain, and rain it did! And did and did and did, and will do and do and do. For the next 3 days! Here come the cracks!!!

I'm feeling whiney.... Meh.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I see ;).

The wheat came in with the straw mulch. Maybe, you can just turn it over ... This was once Bluegrass Country. I bet some people have a different idea with that statement ... but, no. I even once worked on an Idaho bluegrass farm. Took a couple bales of bluegrass straw home, one day. It grew the most amazing lawn :)!

My tomato patch mulch is gravel. You see, I garden on glacial till. That suggests pre-historical weather gardening problems. Anyway, after running the sprinklers a few times, the surface "soil" pretty much disappears and is replaced by gravel ...

Rain could assist with that mulch "placement" but, after getting only 1/3rd of normal April precipitation, we have had just .27" of sprinkles, this month.

Steve

PinkPetalPolygon

Omg. I uhm. I wrote the following before reading anyone else's posts, and had I read how awfully cold it was on the east coast currently I am not sure I could have been so having-a-parade joyous!?!?

!!!

Today is my "hot day"! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I always think I should write stuff down, my gardening partner always says that too! The feeling is wearing off on me. Then I think, "Hey, I could always go look on HG to see what happened when!" - this is becoming a walking diary. Yay! Thank you!

Anyway, this is my hot day. I scan my forecast constantly as any devoted Gardner does, and when a heat spike is on the horizon I make sure my garden partner (her name is Sue) is really aware so we don't/can't fry our plants or ourselves.

The forecast says.... hold me now... (in a bath of ice!)...

95 degrees. !!!!!! !!!!! !!!!!!

& tomorrow says it will be 97.

& Spring just died a little for me. :lol:

We are supposed to go back to the high 70s/ low 80s after this spike, but oh my gosh.

Now I know the state of the nation, all I have to say is "WOW!"

I would gladly give you lovely east coasters 20 of my degrees from today so we could both be normal! <3

But since I cannot do that, I will just harness the California sun to ripen tomatoes and peppers in your honors. And pray us west coasters don't get scorched too bad either. :cool:

I'm ready.

Omg it's the cold you can't get ready for, huh, sans blankets! >_<

I guess at a certain point a baby plant would need a blanket from the sun too. None of my plants are babies now though because I jumped the gun on purpose this year so the "Spring" sun couldn't jump me with fire on my babies like it did last year. :P

It feels good to be ready for the first 100-ish degree days after getting burnt outta town last year. (Well. Only my cucumbers HATED it and I lost a few last year, but I definitely saw the whole garden struggle with the 90 degree temps.)

Last year was my first full garden, it is so satisfying to change your tactics, like to literally see conditions and adapt to them. (Like what I did by starting 2-3 months earlier this year. Nothing burned. And now everything big enough so they won't burn on the first hot day, they'll utilize it.)

I <3 my Mediterranean climate. Even if it threatens me with desert conditions here & there. :)

I am sorry that starting a month late because it's still too cold is not much of an adaptation to have. :| <3.

Okay, forget it. *wills the heat to the other side of my continent*

Now I can say I really tried!!! <3.

imafan26
Mod

Just had a morning sprinkle and it is 71 degrees now. It's a little breezy and it looks like there are few showers scattered offshore so there may be more sprinkles later. It will probably get into the mid 80's today. Nights are still on the cool side around 68 degrees.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

The wheat came in with the straw mulch. Maybe, you can just turn it over ...
We've started. It's daunting, but not as daunting as pulling it all out! Whew! It'll have to be turned several times. Heavily seeded!

Gravel... My neighbors have gravel as mulch in their front yard beds. It's decorative and intentional, but I wish they'd stain it or something. It's just cheap driveway/construction grade gravel. Our garden in PA was up in the mountains and we had lots of big rocks and small gravel! That stuff is WAY more challenging than volunteer wheat!

ETA: it stopped raining for a minute!!! :-()

applestar
Mod

Officially, it's gone down to 43°F and I left my oldest tomatoes and one eggplant out on the patio. It's a couple of degrees warmer than the official temp, but still colder than they can take without stressing. 5 AM now so am not wanting to go out in the dark and bring them inside for just a couple of hours. I think I'm going to let them suffer.... Well maybe I'll go rescue the eggplant. :|

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It's 38°f at 3:30 in one garden.

Or, about 2 miles away, at the Weather Underground volunteer's thermometer ... The Weather Service shows 41° just a little further away but when I click that name it shows May 19th numbers. The 41° is there with the WS's location list. Obviously, there is some kind of glitch.

Stress? Yes, even the eggplant is out there in that garden. Will running the sprinklers lower the stress? Probably not but it should save some plants from the frost if, indeed, that is what will occur.

Dewpoint is shown as 40° so fog setting in if a welcome possibility.

Now comes the moment of thought while I decide if that temperature suggests a frost by 5 and, therefore, the need to climb in the pickup and get out there to turn the sprinklers on. The last few days, the thermometer has fallen 3° or 4° between 3am and sunrise but morning temperatures were in the 50's.

Steve

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Woooooooo Steve!

That's stressful stuff!!!

It's 7:20! Hope you didn't get a frost.

It's raining here. 3rd day. Not the pouring down kind, the constant misting with intermittent downpours. The kind that promotes disease and depression. It's fairly cool here as well. On a good note, I'm glad I'm not our watering the corn seeds!
Last edited by Lindsaylew82 on Fri May 20, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

One hour later and the temperatures at both locations ..

. had gone UP 1° !

Moving in the right direction and we are now officially at sunrise, although there is no level horizon.

Steve

PinkPetalPolygon

Meep! I was going to say today was my rainy day, right?!

Then it started hailing. I never really want a haily day.

Thankfully the hail stones were pretty small, knock on wood!!, but

That isn't the greatest thing to watch, is it!? Your babies getting pelted!?!
And you not knowing how big the stones are gonna get!?

I live in a warmer climate and we rarely get hail so a part of me has always been really amused when the rain turns to ice? (It doesn't snow here at all or hasn't in my lifetime which was a blink, but anyway, hah)

I don't even think I have ever seen sleet or rain turning to ice in the sky where I live? So hail is something very interesting to me, especially the part where uhm it's ice from the sky but it's 69 degrees outside, huh!?

And then the ice disappears of course.

I remember my friends when I was a kid asking each other if they had "seen the hail" like it was a unicorn or a lucky clover, hah.

But I never watched a hail storm with a full garden.

I dunno if any of you are into horror films, haha, but there is a part in this one movie (that I don't particularly recommend) that I'll go ahead and sort of spoil without naming so it isn't spoiled:

In it, Stephen King plays a farmer whose farm and whose self gets infected with invasive alien vegetation. :lol:

When he first realizes the extent of his devastation, he opens the door of his farm house and looks over his fields that are writhing with alien stuff and he screams, "No, no, no!" Repeatedly.

Omg, that was totally me with the hail, I swear.

At first I was halfheartedly watching the *rain*, then as soon as it turned to hail / ice

Oh dear
I read a news article that a place 50 miles away from me had gotten baseball sized hail stones within the last couple of days

And I started laughing hysterically imagining the possibility of much larger stones falling (which is generally possible :| )
And channeling Farmer Stephen King
And trying to see if there was anything I wanted to pull out the of the hail

But I was just mostly laughing. I decided not to do anything but squawk, and the hail passed. :)

"Not hail!"

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's raining.... Still! The pouring kind! Everything is cracking!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

KeyWee

I usually don't post here in the weather-related thread, but WHAT is UP?!?! We always have the most normal spring known to man. Starts faithfully ON the first day of spring, warm temps, everything growing. This year, we have had everything from tornadoes to late frost, rain and more rain. While I realize there is nothing I can do, I am sick and tired of winter clothes and wondering what to do with a closet full of shorts and tank tops. On a positive note, plants that are normally stressed from lack of water are full and lush and good to look at. Holding out for ANY temp over 70 degrees, please.

applestar
Mod

I feel you.

We seem to get the remnants of what you get -- so not AS severe -- but looking at rain for later today and tomorrow...which on the whole will be welcome. Hoping to get some things planted in the morning before the huge green and yellow blob on the weather map sweeps in.

imafan26
Mod

O.k. to make you guys sort of jealous. It is nice for me, 71 degrees now and probably got down to around 69 last night and will get up to 82 degrees and breezy. The only cloud in the sky is the big one covering up the sun and most of the blue and it has been sprinkling occasionally heavy sprinkles for almost a week with more in the forecast. Most of it is falling on the windward side, but I do get some drift. The rain is late for this time of year, but it is better than none. Unfortunately it is not enough to water the garden, just enough to help the weeds grow.

applestar
Mod

It did it again! I've been waiting for the temperatures to settle above 50°F for overnight low. for 70's/50's before sending all my container subtropicals (and really most of my seedlings ) to go outside for the season -- avo, mango, overwintered fruiting peppers, eggplants, ginger turmeric, Arabian jasmine....

It's been mostly 60's/40's -- occasional favorable weather but low 40's even upper 30's looming in the near future making it impossible to plan the mass exodus. Now today we have the kind of day I've been waiting for, then it's gonna jump to high 80's/60's, even 90's/70's for the foreseeable future.

Now I have to scramble to get everybody moved out so I can turn off all these heat generating plant lights, draw the curtains and blinds, and keep the house cool(er).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Forecast for today and the next week:

88/61, 89/64, 89/65, 89/64, 89/64, 89/63 , 89/65, 88/65. That takes us to 5/31 and 5/31 is the first day there is ANY rain in the forecast! For a place that gets 50" of rain a year, that's pretty amazing, since it's already been a few days without rain.

I am thinking I may need rain barrels after all!

But it is beautiful weather! There's always a breeze here, humidity is staying low, so the difference between sun and shade is remarkable. 89 deg in the full sun is very hot. 89 degrees in the breezy shade is SO pleasant!

imafan26
Mod

It is 66 degrees now with an expected high of 85, but not much wind right now at 3 mph. It looks like a good day to work outside.
My rain barrels are full, I need to empty them out some.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”