skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

True, its warmer here next week as well but its also going to rain for several days which makes it tough to sun harden the plants. I guess it keeps life interesting. :)

applestar
Mod

Currently 57°F here -- what happened to the summer like weather? I'm eyeing the eggplants I left outside to harden and thinking maybe I should bring them back in....

I was going to plant squash yesterday -- they are getting too big in their pots -- but it was going down in the 40's last night.....

I watered fairly thoroughly this morning (our day to water until 8AM during the summer water restriction), so of course it started to rain just as I was trying to cut some pallets down. Initially tried a cordless reciprocating saw I got for myself because I thought I really needed it, but it turned out much easier to use a manual saw.

As I was taking the electric saw inside out of the raindrops, I rolled my eyes up at the clouds and asked for 10-15 more minutes while I get the manual saw and until I get the pallets cut, and funnily enough, it stopped raining as soon as I walked out with the other saw! ...even funnier that it started to rain again almost the moment I made my last cut. :lol:
(My daughter says I can control the weather -- especially rain :wink: )

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

It's a whopping 53 here today & raining steadily, so no outdoor work slated for today. Thankfully tomorrow thru Sunday is supposed to be lovely - sunny with temps in the mid-70's to low 80's.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

After the snow, which is still here from the weekend, it is now in the 70's. I too am trying to harden off plants and even though I have started slow, still seeing a little sunburn. Ugh! After graduation these are going in no matter what.

My son said it was weird to mow the cemetery for Memorial Day and still have snow in the ditches and next to the buildings. :()

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Getting down to 32 tonight! :shock: 70 degree days but I certainly can't plant out any squash with nights like this. They are starting to grow fruit in their pots because they are so big.

I really need to get them in the ground soon so probably next week their going to go in during the rain and I'll just pray they will be OK.

Even my peppers are starting to bud and are ready to go in the ground but the nights are just too cold! :roll:

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I don't know about the squash, but it might be best to gently pinch or cut off any flowers/fruits on the peppers (& any unplanted tomatoes if you have them) until you can get them in the ground.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

An 80°f day - the first of the year ...

I checked back and last year the temperatures were about the same. We went on to have a near-record warm summer! There are thunderstorms possible in some of the area today and tomorrow. The teevee says that there are flash-flood watches, especially where there are burn-scars from last year's forest fires. I think folks had better be concerned about more fires, now and soon.

On a more positive note, almost everything is in my gardens. Only the eggplant and basil haven't been sufficiently hardened-off to so much direct sunlight to be out there. Also, I have started cucumbers, etc. anticipating a more normal May and wanting to get a jump start with those. The squash/pumpkins look big enough to have grown some roots to hold the potting soil together so, those they can be set out.

April had near-normal temperatures -- and now, near-perfect gardening weather! Maybe no Junuary weather this year ;).

Steve

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

GardeningCook wrote:I don't know about the squash, but it might be best to gently pinch or cut off any flowers/fruits on the peppers (& any unplanted tomatoes if you have them) until you can get them in the ground.
I was wondering if that was a good idea to do or not for the peppers. I've definitely been pinching the squash off the plants as if I leave them on they will just stunt in the end anyways and it keeps the plant in "production" mode awaiting transplant.

I guess I'll give it a try with the peppers as well - Thanks! :)

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

You're welcome. Oh, & the blossom-pinching works for eggplants too, which also seem to always be over-eager to "get on with things" long before they're safely in the ground. The blossom-pinching just seems to make them put a little more effort into getting established before getting on with the ultimate task at hand.

applestar
Mod

46°F outside right now (4am) -- what is going on!? This is Memorial Day weekend! :shock:

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

:cry: Ok I waited until after the snow storm on May 17 and planted the garden. This week I put in the 109 peppers and 100 tomato plants in. Guess what? Low of 33 Friday night! What! :eek: Once in my life I saw frost in June and I have heard of snow in July but really, those things could just stay in the history books. My grape is just starting to get buds again after they froze off in the snow storm.

I agree with you Applestar, What is going on? Well I guess I will not get bored jumping through all these hoops. :-()

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I'm not sure I'd really mind a little snow right about now (just kidding). Supposed to be in the low 90's here today with the usual "chance of thunderstorms" later on. And I won't even get into the life-sucking humidity. Summer has arrived in Virginia. Sigh. :roll:

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

After a week in the 80's and humid, we're looking at a week in the mid 60's to 70. Then it looks like back to the 80's.... What crazy weather!

Breanna.link

rain so much rain first two days in about 3 weeks of no rain!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

The sun is currently shining brightly, and it's also RAINING. Where's my rainbow! It's muggy. So muggy.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I feel for those of you who have been in the flooding. Not much a person can do with your garden when mother nature disagrees so strongly. I lost 25 pepper plants to the freeze but I still had transplants hardening off, so I just replanted.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Bizarre weather here for this time of year. After several days in the low 90's, today it's remained overcast with brief light showers/drizzle & temps just a hair above 60. Again - bizarre.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

3 days of rain and now a week just making 70. My broccoli and kohlrabi will love this but with nights down in the 40's my squash will not....

This Spring has been a wild and crazy ride!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We went from a too-dry April, to a remarkably warm May, to Junuary. The only constant has been too much wind. If that makes any sense.

Oh, it hasn't been too bad and should be warming up soon. Near 90°f, the Weather Service tells us! Having it that warm this early is unusual. I worry about all the lightning strikes this week. It sometimes takes days, even weeks, for forest fires to be found after lightning has hit trees in the mountains.

Steve

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Another night with temps dropping into the mid 30's?????

What is going on with this weather? :(

I don't know whether to cover my stuff or let it ride......

imafan26
Mod

Hot,humid, no to very little wind and too much vog.
The rainy weather from a couple of weeks ago did a lot of damage to the peppers they have bacterial spot, so I am culling and having to start some over again. Amazingly the zucchini that has only given me two fruit as yet still looks pretty decent. No real fungal issues even with all of this humidity.

We get teased by a few showers that generally steam off and increase the humidity but winds coming from the south (Kona weather) is usually a good day to go to a movie, air conditioned mall, or the beach.

applestar
Mod

79°F NOW at 4AM :shock: -- our usual night temp even in the middle of the summer is 68°F :?

LIcenter

applestar wrote:79°F NOW at 4AM :shock: -- our usual night temp even in the middle of the summer is 68°F :?
YUK, and I thought 71° at 4:00 am was kinda warm for this time of year here. :shock:

catgrass
Green Thumb

Tropical system in the Gulf. Heavy rain predicted for next 2-3 days. We've already had rain every day for a week-Ground is totally saturated, so, with some 30 mph wind gust thrown in, there will probably be some tree topple. 100% humidity every day!

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

High humidity & temps in the mid-90's here. Lord, it was 90 by 10:30 a.m. yesterday. Needless to say that apart from watering, very little outdoor work done around here.

And right now (11 a.m.) it's 86, but with the heat index it supposedly (& DOES) feel like 93. Ugh.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

We could use rain but we have cool temps of 60's and low's in the 40's. If we could get rid of the mosquito's it would be perfect.

applestar
Mod

We had a fierce gusty thunderstorm pass through in late afternoon. Saw from window that my vermicomposter lid had been blown away, big container trees were blown over including fruiting fig, coffee, etc. so went out to upright them after lightning clouds were well gone....

Lid had landed on top of container dwarf tomatoes, fig tree also pushed over picnic bench with plants on it, small patch of corn needing to be hilled had been blown down/lodged. Brussels sprouts in butterfly cage had been blown off and dumped out of container inside, seedlings in trays were swimming...

Then went in side yard garden and realized full extent of disaster -- almost all tomatoes needing better support had been blown over, some laying in puddles and mud, one pea trellis had been blown over, taking down tomato plants. Even the hilled corn had lodged and potato plants too....

Bush beans were laying on the ground, pea vines had been whipped around and kinked down on the trellis -- not caring as much -- I could straighten and firm soil around corn but Fava beans were another story. Squash leaves were laying in the ground but didn't bother to try to fix those since the sky started to rumble and flash again.

...going to be busy in the morning...

imafan26
Mod

I have been hearing in the news about the flooding and tornadoes in the Eastern half of the states. Hope everyone is safe.
I am sorry to hear about the damage to the garden after all your hard work on it.

Here the days are approaching 90 with a few showers, but the trades are still around. I am drinking half a gallon of water in 6 hours. Toward the weekend, the trades are going to leave as the wind starts coming from the south. Kona weather is hot, humid and breeze less. But, it looks like some of your weather is even hotter.

applestar
Mod

Thanks @imafan. It's supposed to be quiet here rest of the night and cool down to 66°F by morning. Hoping things look better in morning light.

I hope everyone else fared better.

DH came home when storm was at worst and had to sit in his truck on the driveway until it passed. Called on cell phone and talking with us -- said branches were hitting truck. We had to close front door we opened for him because rain blowing sideways onto porch were getting in past storm door and dripping onto threshold/foyer. :eek: He opened truck door and tried but we could hear him yelp and close door again as rain came down even harder. :shock: DD looking out the upstairs window said some neighbors were also sitting in their cars on their driveways. :lol:

Briefly checked driveway afterwards and his truck was surrounded by broken sticks/branches but fortunately nothing very big. My car was parked closer to/under the green ash tree -- probably all scratched up but it's an older car. :|

MichaelC

The horrendous drought aside (my specific location would normally expect no rain right now anyway), we've had terrific weather: 70°F at noon, high of 80°, and down to 50° at sunrise. A couple weeks ago, we had morning clouds that wouldn't clear up until noon. Before that it was a heat wave. I've been in my home town for a year and a half now, and I have no idea how to predict the weather patterns. Central coastal CA weather is wacky!

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

We had heat hovering around 100 all day yesterday, culminating in predictions of severe thunderstorms & tornado warnings. Fortunately, except for some lightning & thunder rumblings, we ended up with nothing. Not even any rain. Areas just very slightly north of us got a bit of the ugliness though. As my husband says - "You can never trust the weather because it acts like. . . . weather."

But I am sad for those who had damages & plant loss from yesterdays weather debacle. Can empathize all too well from past experiences. Hopefully you'll be able to salvage most if not all.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Applestar, that is horrible. :( Hopefully it is early enough in the season where it bounces back. Corn is irritating at times, it should stand back up with fresh hilling and recover.

Our weather is high's of 70's and low's in the 50's but very humid as we are getting little splashes of rain. Not really much but they keep predicting lots of rain and just .10. So I am not sure when I should be watering my garden or trees.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

So sorry to hear about all that damage, applestar. I was lucky - I was also one of those who was driving home from work when that storm hit, and limbs were flying off the trees into the streets, I passed one uprooted tree, and when I got home I sat in the car for 25 min, until it had passed over. I didn't lose power immediately, but about 6 hrs. after the storm it went out. Fortunately, it came back in about 9 hrs, whereas many others will be w/o power for days.

No damage to my property, and minimal damage to the garden. Only a few branches of tomatoes and one pepper plant - not a single plant killed. You can tell I'm an obsessed gardener, since, as I was driving down that street with limbs falling and that wind whipping the cars around, what I was thinking was "OMG, what is this doing to my tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and everything else in the garden?" LOL

Only a small amount of cleanup for me (5 trashcans full of stuff blown off my neighbor's trees, and a few larger things to cut w/a chainsaw), compared to many others out there. A friend, who had several trees and parts of trees blown down said "I don't have a lawn any more, just a lumberyard!"

Again, sorry to hear about all that damage. Hopefully, when you got out today you could save a lot more of it that it looked like initially. Good luck.

applestar
Mod

Thank you for all your concern and kind encouragements. I worked all morning in the garden and was wiped out for the afternoon :lol:

Some things were better or already recovering -- to the point that when I straightened them upright, they were already bending upwards from their sideways position and had to be coaxed straight. :roll: In some ways, the sheer inadequacy of the tomato supports meant they were loose and free to flop or the thin bamboo had toppled with weight of the attached tomato plant -- it's kind of like your car crumpling to take the shock of a car accident -- so the plants themselves didn't break.

The one double row of corn I tried to straighten up last night fell over again, so I Florida weaved them, which is a support technique for a row of tomatoes -- this worked well. I splinted the one broken cornstalk. This worked for a stalk that was twice as tall and already tassling last year so I have high hopes.

I patched up the tomato supports -- still temporary but I couldn't see myself tackling the full support system for the Spiral Garden this morning with so many little tasks needing my attention.

You couldn't tell anything had happened to the squash -- they all more or less got themselves back up on their own... But the smell of the damaged stems seem to have attracted the SVB (squash vine borer) moth -- I tried to swat it down but missed :x

Overall we were lucky. My neighbor had a giant tree limb which she said was the top of a tree occupying most of the lawn between her sun porch and pond -- it took out an old already cracked birdbath but missed her house. She said had my DH entered the development from the other entrance when coming home, he would have encountered someone's trampoline -- which had been blown completely out of their fenced backyard -- blocking the street. :eek:

imafan26
Mod

It has been another one of those Kona weather days. It just started raining now so it is finally cooling off. Unfortunately it is also 5:45 in the afternoon so that means wet leaves most of the night.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Very warm ... record June highs. 105°. Highest temperature since sometime in August, over 50 years ago. One small airport, nearest my home, recorded 108°.

I was on both sides of that airport, yesterday afternoon. But by then, a haze was blocking some of the sunlight and there was an occasional breeze. Humidity was at 13% .

I feel a little like a dry leaf this morning.

Steve

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I am glad we are not having record temps but would surely like this smokey haze to go away. You feel like you are looking through dirty windows. What happens to plants when it finally goes away? It is not like I can gradually put them back in the sun. It's been about a week of this now. Our humidity is in the 80's and 90 percent. Temperatures in the 80's.

imafan26
Mod

Hurricane Guillermo has been downgraded to a category 1 and is entering cooler waters and the Pacific High should help shear some of the wind off the top as it passes to the North of Hawaii. The remnants of another tropical Depression will also cut off the trades again as it passes by. Guillermo is about 900 miles away and slowing to about 10 miles per hour.

Today the winds are pretty gusty and I have my water and coolers on standby. I usually don't have an issue with more than my lanai flooding and rain coming through the windows. I guess that is an advantage of living uphill of a road that end at a gully. I do have a lot of problems with the wind though. I am spending the day trying to pick up my loose pots and store as many of them as I can whereever I can. I lost my wind blinds after the last two storms so I have no protection on that side of my patio and the rain may come through my living room window since I no longer have the tree in the front yard. Power going out is the usual concern since it only needs a flooding rain to kick it off.

Guillermo should pass by around Thursday night to the North as a tropical storm. It is still a large system so there will still be plenty of rain and wind to go around.

Guillermo should be downgraded to a tropical storm, by th

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Hotter than usual, drier than usual. More like California than Washington. It hasn't rained for a long time. We have a drought and water shortage. Pacific Ocean super El Nino and "the blob" causing drought. Predictions are for lots of rain later in the year. Very weird weather this year.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Just read that July goes down as the hottest month on record for Seattle.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”