valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

Just Went skiing, snow was good, went up soon as the lifts started moving, so we we, the girls and I, were skiing the corduroy. Then they opened the cattle gate and here they came, clowns skiing & riding beyond their skill, like they do when driving, but we got some good runs in.

It was overcast no wind, we're supposed to get snow Friday thru Sunday 1-3feet. The temp is just below freezing.

Richard

applestar
Mod

:shock: 2°F :shock:

gardeningwithe

We just had snow and cold again (teens and then single digits at night) but are in a warm up :P 31 currently with the possibility of seeing almost 50 tomorrow. WHOO HOO- then a weekend of warmer temps but lots of rain. Next week looks nice until Thursday when the cold returns (and possibly snow).

Overall though this part of TN has been colder than I remember with below zeros- however it is TN so it can snow one day and be 50 the next :> that part is nothing new. The swings do wreck havoc with allergy and cold sufferers though.

valley
Greener Thumb

Greetings, We are in proud receipt of 2' of Snow, over night. Today is our 19th Wedding Anniversary, wifey gave me a Infra Red Thermometer for this happy day, It's Snowing, great big flakes, and 29degrees, according to the new infra Red.

This morning I built a great, large, fire in the stove while wifey, Nicole, and the girls shoveled out to the barn. I cleaned the Hot Tub deck, GOOD SNOW. We very much needed this. Well, not where we have to shovel or blow it, But for Skiing YES!

Have a great week.

Richard

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

About a week ago it was supposed to rain. All we got literally was a few drop for like 2 mins. I wouldn't even call it sprinkling. Well last night it started to sprinkle a little. Today has been pouring rain. We needed this rain really bad because we are in a drought. I hope it keeps pouring and pouring for a few days.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Oh Punk, that's great news!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, so glad to hear that at least parts of California are getting a brief respite from the drought.

Here we had a brief respite from the snow and cold and then right back, with a major snow and ice storm (but not quite as bad as farther east, at least we didn't lose power). My car was parked on the street and the snow plow came by and buried it in snow and ice. It took me over an hour yesterday with two helpers to get the doors unfrozen, the windows scraped, and the car dug out, so that I could go to work.

Tonight it is going down to minus 1 degree, minus 10 with wind chill. Oh ouch! Normal for this date would be 41 (high) and 25 (low) and my little broccoli seedlings could go out to start hardening off. If it actually gets as cold as they say, that would actually be a record for the date. The previous record was plus 1, set in 1977, the blizzard year when the Ohio river froze over because it was so cold for so long.

Poor dog isn't getting much exercise, because who wants to be out walking the dog in weather like this!?

Cola82
Green Thumb

Snow! It snowed a bunch last week. The courthouse closed for the storm so the boyfriend was trapped at home with me and his aunt who came to stay with us. We made vegetarian chicken fried steak and a bunch of other really tasty things and watched movies.

It's melting now, but slowly. Temperatures are back in the forties but the slush is clinging to the road and gutters.

It was nice, though. I needed a good snow. It's just too bad it's always bone dry on Christmas.

valley
Greener Thumb

Sun's out! Outside temprature is 42 degrees. Time to see if I can get something done outside.

Richard
Attachments
winter 013.jpg

tomf
Super Green Thumb

For our friends down under.
https://theconversation.com/indian-ocea ... alia-20893

California is in one of the worst droughts they have had, some of what I have read say it is one of the worst in 500 years from the study of tree rings. In Oregon we have had one of the driest winters ever.
I was reading about the history of arctic vortexes; from 1900 when they started to record the events they happened once every four years on average, the last vortex even like this one happened seventeen years ago.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Its colder'n a well diggers asterisk here this morning. :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

(my back yard today!)
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

It has been raining/drizzling most of the day. The weeds are growing well. I have some spots on the peppers and eggplant

imafan26
Mod

It finally stopped raining long enough for the grass to be somewhat dry. I weed whacked my yard, front to back. I only had to change the spool three times and untangle it four times. I hate weed whackers. I can't weed whack wet grass without my weed whacker smoking. Unfortunately I weed whacked one of the tomatoes, but I only got one branch the other is climbing up the cucumber trellis. the cucumbers are missing in action somewhere below. The snow peas have flowers and I picked three pixie tangerines. They were sweet considering this tree has been on its own for years. The meyer lemon, satsuma, key lime and calamondin are all flowering now and the bay leaf is putting out new shoots. I guess they liked the rain as much as the weeds.

I finally got to my community garden and planted some romaine and beets. Harvested pak choy, carrots, broccoli and my neighbor gave me one of his giant papayas. I only got two bags of weeds today and I had to pull the chayote off my bartlett pear and one of the satsumas. My neighbor wanted the fruit so I tossed him a bunch. I have a hard time giving it away and I have upo soup in my frig right now.

The broccoli was delicious. I am amazed how long they keep producing shoots.

The forecast is for more rain mostly convection clouds in the afternoon and most of it are the usual windward and mauka (mountain) showers. It got up to 80 degrees today and it is muggy and the vog burns my eyes without the trades. The night temp was 69. I should be able to start the peppers and eggplant soon.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Snowing.

Freezing too but the forecast is for above 40°. That only happens this year when we also have wind gusts 35-45mph. The snow will melt. Snow has been in the yard since early December but nearly all melted when this round of warmer, windy weather started, last week. Cold next but only into the low 20's.

The pepper seed is all on hand and ready for starting. Maybe, we will have sunshine by the time the seedlings need to show up here beside me in the south window.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It's 56 degrees again. Are you guys sending me some of your cold air? It was 67 degrees just a few days ago.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh jeez.... we had a brief warm up and then the cold came back and just settled in. Lows with wind chill factors into negative numbers, because it is quite windy with this cold. Back to just hating to set foot out the door. Poor dog is not getting walked much. And no relief in sight.... So tired of this. All my cabbage and broccoli and spinach that had been going out in the daytime came back in and is just sitting under the lights again. It will be March and per the forecast still with HIGHS only in the 20's. Some years I would be planting by now.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Ditto Rainbow, were still looking at negative marks all next week as well, calling for more snow.
The garden area is covered by four or more feet of snow...I can't even think about sowing seeds but when I do it will be the cool crops. Don't know if we will see a hot summer this year for eggplant and the heat loving plants.

Two robins came to visit us the 17th this month..they are still here. Poor things, I have been giving them fruit berries...

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah, the 1st robins came, yesterday. We won't be dodging your weather on this side of the mountains, this time. First of all, the storms will come at you from California.

Up here, we will share that polar cold from the north! There should be a little snow and then wind, 30mph+ gusts. The thermometer will drop into the single digitS' with wind chill well below zero.

I have lived here going on 50 years and can only remember having subzero weather in March, once. Coming real close this time.

No way has this been as difficult a winter as most of the US has had. The snow pack returned to normal with the recent storms. There was a lot of dull sameness through December and January. Now, unseasonably cold at the beginning of March. That will be much easier than unseasonably cold in January.

Steve

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

It is pouring rain in southern California. Central and Northern CA needs it more though.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

I am on the central coast of California, and it has been raining pretty well for the last couple of days. We need it too. I live a few miles from Lake Cachuma, and at full capacity, there are parts of it that will put the lake's edge a few feet from the highway, but this year the water is so far back that people are able to walk across the inside of the dam on the lake side, and parts of the lake bed have been exposed for so long that I saw grass growing in it. SO glad we have some rain finally!

imafan26
Mod

Yesterday it rained in the morning but was relatively sunny most of the day, even though it was cool.

Today, it has been raining most of the day. At noon the temperature was 65 degrees and I haven't seen the sun through the thick clouds.

I didn't get to do more work in my veggie garden, it is too wet now, but I did plant crimson pirate, and muscadet lilies someone gave me. I repotted a few more of the pepper seedlings and divided the cardamom. I have space now for a few more starter pots. I just have to find my seeds.

Moonshadow

I was whining the other day because I'm so far behind in my planting schedule. I wanted to have snap peas, broccoli, and a few other things in the ground already by now.

We're supposed to get another 8-12" of snow today, and a low of 4F tonight. I suppose it's good I'm behind.

It was nice and warm yesterday, though, so I finally moved around my mom's old raised beds. Stacked two on top of each other and filled that one. Just need to stack the other two and buy some more soil and I'll be good to go!

applestar
Mod

Old Man Winter has whitewashed everything in sight AGAIN and Jack and Jill Frost twins have been scribbling on the windows all night....

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

We had a freezing thunderstorm. Sleet falling with thunder and lightning. That was followed with several inches of snow... gee whiz, not normal for here.

Today we are suppose to see above freezing temps and get back to more normal weather.

This winter has felt like we moved north and didn't realize that we had moved! Been horrible.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

That's no way to talk about Missouri!!

;)

The lingering California storm has loosed a stream of moisture that is coming here! :shock: The big meltdown has already started with all of our snow here in Slush City. Now, it'll be rain and the thermometer should hit 50°f on Thursday! That will be the warmest for the year.

I sure hope our soil can take in all this water. There may be a few places here & there outdoors where the ground has thawed a bit. I don't think I'd enjoy standing around on a chair all day.

Wouldn't you know it? The pepper seedlings are just out of the warm kitchen and here in the South Window with me and . . . we won't likely be seeing the sun until the weekend . . .

Steve

valley
Greener Thumb

We're getting lots of rain, they say 90 million gallons of water went into Lake Tahoe in the last big rain. But, there is much less snow pack than most years. Had the rain been snow we would have gotten over 10' of snow. Today, at the lower ranch, bottle feeding a bull calf we want to sire a herd. More rain down here than last year at this time. Just went outside to see a Apricot Tree has burst into bloom. The wood stove is going every night wherever we are, but getting warmer, little by little.

Richard

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

I'm sure you all are going to hate me for saying this, but on the west coast, we are already ready to plant. My roses are already getting ready to bloom, and my blueberry bush has new growth. It's kind of nice, but then again not really, as our winter rainy season never came this year. So we are facing a water crisis out here this spring. It's been nice having sun all winter, but dang are we going to pay for it, lol

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Well, it got to 55 degrees here yesterday so we headed down to the garden. After shoveling anywhere from 4 to 6 inches of snow off the ground, we were left with 2 - 3 inches of ice covering the area :shock:

Well, didn't really think the ice wouldn't be there but we were still hoping. :roll:

At least now the sun can work directly on the ice and maybe by next week sometime we can break up the ice. Just need enough area to eventually plant the broccoli and kohlrabi :)

tenderloingardener
Cool Member

We were looking at the worst drought in something like 500 years for a while. We finally got some rain but remain at 30% of average.
When the farmers are irrigating in January that's worrisome in CA because agriculture is still the largest water expenditure. New methods have been employed in the industry to be less wasteful, but ut's still a lot of water.
Then we have those folk living in the desert down South who refuse to live as one should in a desert.
Don't get me started on golf courses. :x

Here in SF we have what is usually described as a meditteranian climate-more or less. It's been beautiful- in the mid 70's during the day, dropping to 53F or so at night. Low fog though I heard the fog horns this morning and can feel it sitting in front of the open window. When it's foggy the temperature feels about 10F colder than it is. We don't go far from home without a hoody. On the plus side small stores in high tourism areas do a booming business in fleece pullovers with "San Francisco" emblazoned on the front. :)

Right now the wind is picking up. It's usually very windy in the Spring, but it hasn't been too bad this year- yet. I think it's supposed to get a bit colder overnight tonight and tomorrow, but not much. A low of 48F tonight if memory serves (it usually doesn't).

Every section of the city also enjoys it's own microclimate and it's surprising how different things are only a mile or two away. I am still a newbie, but I've tried not only to pick herbs and flowers that I like, but are also hopefully pretty compatible with our little corner of the Universe. As usual I'm fretting over my seed trays like a hen with chicks. Please, please, please grow something! :|
The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco-Mark Twain

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Well, the ice melted off the garden :) but only about 1 1/2 inches of mud is thawed :(

Some warm days coming up but still very cold nights in the teens so it'll be awhile longer before I can plant even my kohlrabi in the garden.

Can't wait!!!! :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Sunshine has arrived just in time for many of the plant starts . . . and my greenhouse heating budget :).

I'm only turning the heat on in there to assist the sun in the morning. Only the onions and cabbage family plants are in there overnight. It is probably a little cruel but, hey, it was that seeds' decision to sprout and begin to grow out there!

33 °F in there right now, predawn. 25° outdoors. Another day in the mid-40's but sunshine!

Decision time today as I begin to move some of the peppers into 4-packs. Well, the decision will be what to tell DW as I sneak those flats back in the house tonight and where I'm gonna put them thru the overnight hours! This might be the latest I have done that since I had that greenhouse heater installed. Doing what I can . . .

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh man, this hard winter just doesn't want to let go. Right now it is 20 degrees out there. I keep swearing that I'm not bringing the cold weather plants back in, but back in they are. Six trays of them now. I planted some already and sold some yesterday. So I was out last night covering all the stuff I planted. Hope it is enough. The ones in the ground were pretty well hardened. Tomorrow night it is predicted to go down to 19 degrees, near record cold for the date.

So everything will just stay in/ covered until after that.

sigh...

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

IT SUCKS HERE 20 degrees outside and the ground will not dry. We get 60 degrees for a day then in the 30's then in the 50's then in the 20's! I need to get potatoes in the ground but mother nature is being a pain this year!

applestar
Mod

It started to snow late PM and by sunset the ground was covered and white... again :?

applestar
Mod

It's 8 PM and 62°F outside. I just started hardening off the eggplants two days ago and uppot them today, but I'm thinking of bringing the eggplants back inside . I'm late planting them in their ultimate location, but maybe this is an opportunity to keep them warm....

imafan26
Mod

June and you still have temps in the 60's.

It is a typical June here 83 degrees in the daytime 71 at night. Hot and humid. Thank god for brisk trade winds. On occasion a passing shower comes by, but that just increases the humidity when it steams off.

Peppers, eggplant, corn, squash are finally happy although some fungal issues after it rains but minimized with preventive fungicide.

Unfortunately weeds are real happy too.

applestar
Mod

I was going to emphatically say this is NOT normal... But checked the 10 day forecast and they say it's going down to 62°F again on Sundary night :shock:

Tonight is supposed to go down to 61°F and drizzle -- possibly local thunder showers.

...went out in the almost dark and brought the eggplants back inside -- they have been tucked under the garage V8 lights. I'm sure they will be happier there.

Cola82
Green Thumb

Winter is still dragging on here, too. Back down to the high forties all week. :/

When it's not cloudy or raining it's unbearably hot. Ugh.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, it hasn't been unbearably hot here. Warmest afternoon this year must have not reached 85°f. Supposed to be another 80° day, today. Then 62°, tomorrow . . !?

No, that will be the high. Overnight lows have pretty much stayed in the 40's! This isn't unusual, just not good growing weather for most garden vegetables.

Plenty of wind, some rain - it isn't very good weather for the gardener, either.

Steve

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”