imafan26
Mod

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

Hey Santa, is it Christmas yet? Snow on Mauna Kea closed the summit road until about 10 ft of snow could be cleared from it. It is normal to have snow on the highest peaks here, but not normal for it to still be in the 50's at night in March.

https://www.kitv.com/news/snow-blankets- ... d/31802398

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

This weekend we had 70 degree temps in ND. Tomorrow, the high is suppose to be 39 and snow. So far 2015 has been pretty unpredictable for us also.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Wow!

Eastern North America was kind of alone in all that cold :

Surface Temperature Analysis

Steve

catgrass
Green Thumb

This weekend was perfect! Sunny, highs close to 80, just slight breeze. Finally drying up the soggy yard. Will be planting vegetables this week!

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

It was great being teased with the 70 degree weather yesterday and now reality has set in. I still have two months before I can plant outside. 32 now and the snow is here and staying. But 30's is more our normal for this time of year.

I can't wait to see what you plant. Love everyone's pictures.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

SweetiePie, my nearest weather station on this list (Selected Cities) will run through most years neck & neck with Devils Lake, North Dakota. I have a feeling you know right where that is ;).

The Weather Service records accumulated warmth and provides us with the information on that list each week beginning on March 1st. You watch Spokane, Washington this year and I will watch Devils Lake!

I'm sure glad we don't compete with you over winter cold ;).

Steve
where, after record warmth in late winter, the forsythia in the sunniest locations has just begun to bloom! :)

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Ok, I am a lame brain. I don't know what the abbreviations mean, like GDD or DEP. The only one I understood was normal. I am bad at text language too. Sorry.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, you might wonder about growing corn and what that might have to do with Mt. Washington, New Hampshire at over 6,000 feet elevation ... :)

It's just a way to keep track of heat, week after week. You will quickly notice how the numbers go up and up in Louisiana, or Texas, or Phoenix. Meanwhile, Devils Lake and Flagstaff and Bangor are just inching along.

The corn idea is that corn will not usually grow at temperatures below about 50°f. Well, if the average daily temperature is 60°, then there are 10 Growing Degrees for that Day (GDD). At least, I think that's the formula ... ;) the differences around the country is interesting and, commercial corn seed is rated by when it matures. Farmers will know just about when they can expect to harvest it. Really, it makes a lot of sense to have that rating for every variety for farmers and for gardeners.

Steve

Mr green
Green Thumb

Here in sweden we got an early spring for once! Crossing fingers for no weather setbacks tho... Its been sunny and without frost for over a week now. Many tulips and some other spring bulbs are coming up. Some of my tulips even came up out of solid frozen ground the other week!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The weather is like March!! One day 72 and 24 hours later night time low of 25. I brought some of the cold weather stuff out hardening back in for a few of the coldest hours. But the broccoli and cabbage that's been out the longest, I just covered and it did fine. The broccoli and cabbage that was in the ground already, I didn't even cover, and it also did fine. Love the cold weather hardy stuff!

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

We're still getting lows in the teens :( But on the bright side I can see a patch or two of grass finally! :(

applestar
Mod

image.jpg
image.jpg

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

No more patch of grass on the ground :( More snow! Granted only 2-3 inches but still.......

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

We got a blanket of snow again on Friday am and it is staying. It is hard for it to go away when it is 14 outside. I really am so ready for spring. :!:

Mr green
Green Thumb

We got our first spring setback, looked like in your pictures applestar, but now luckily all the snow has melted again. Only stayed for about 36hours!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Records were set yesterday at some nearby stations.

It was above 70°f, here. I looked back 10 years. It was never above 70° in March. Last year, the first afternoon hitting that mark on the thermometer was the last day of April. We went on to a near-record hot summer.

After 1/4" of overnight rain, we are having 40mph wind gusts ... I have things to do in the greenhouse today!. With a lot of sunshine, I may have trouble figuring out how to open it up to keep it comfortable for me and the plants, without it blowing to pieces in the wind!

Steve

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Snow.

The temperature never quite fell below freezing so the 2" of snow that fell this morning, was all melted by mid afternoon. Of course, a steady rain for about 3 hours made a contribution. My lawn anywhere between the backdoor and the greenhouse is mudville ;).

With no sunshine and 43° for an afternoon high, the greenhouse furnace didn't shut off aaallll day!

Steve

applestar
Mod

We had a couple of gorgeous days. Even left the older tomato seedlings out for the night. Then today, forecast of 45°F overnight. It sounded iffy, but I thought well, maybe they can handle it.

...then it rained, and official report was 1/4" but it sure sounded like it was raining more than that!

So before going to bed, I re-considered, and checked my thermometer, and it said 43°F. Well, the forecast said it was going DOWN to 43°F by dawn. Judging by the Dewpoint, it will probably be closer to 37°F by morning. This looked bad, so I went out in the dark to bring them back in.... and the 2" soil blocks on their 3/4" egg crate risers were sitting in rainwater halfway up the blocks! :shock:

The TPS blocks without egg crate risers were 3/4 deep in the water.

...they would have all melted and sitting in pools of mud by morning, in addition to being waterlogged, possibly losing their places (36 unmarked tomato seedling per tray? ugh!) and who knows what else. :o

The all had to go on the chest freezer in the garage for the night since it would have been too much work to shuffle them all back onto the lighted shelves. But they will be much happier now.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Sunny, high today will be low 80's-nights in 60's. Rain by the end of the week.

LeaSmea

Rainy and warm, which is perfect since I just planted some new bushes along my back fence. :) No more snow and the grass is getting green again!

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

It has snowed for the last three days and now today we have fog. We are suppose to get above freezing today but with the fog probably not.

Applestar, sure hope they turn out ok. I would like it to stay warm enough at night where I could leave mine on the porch. Hoping this week, it's suppose to get in the 50's but anything over freezing would be nice.

applestar
Mod

Thanks @sweetiepie. Looking at 40's today and tomorrow, then high of 77°F with thunderstorms. :x
Gotta remember that if they could stay out all days and nights, I could be planting them! :roll: :hehe:

I had to rig a temporary lighting ... And nobody had better need to get in the freezer for the next three days!
image.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We are drowning. Hard rain and storms everyday for the last 2 weeks. Tornadoes today. Ugh.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Yikes, no tornadoes but we have wind that is 30 mph sustainable and gusting to 50 mph again today. We have had wind for several weeks straight now. We got a little rain on Sunday but the wind is drying everything out, so we are back on fire danger watch. High of 39 today. I don't want your wind but I would take some of that rain, NO snow though.

Briarheart

It's been raining almost nonstop here, and even snowing a little! Very chilly winds, especially at night. I'm so bummed, I really want to put my roses outside!

imafan26
Mod

It has been raining a little bit at night, but it is not a cooling rain. The winds are light and mostly from the south which means it is hot, humid and muggy. Even when it is in the 60's it feels like 80.

My eyes are burning and it is hazy from the vog ( volcanic smog) that drifts up from the Big Island when every the winds come from the south. Since the volcano has been erupting pretty much continually since January 3, 1983 it isn't likely to stop.

The trades are supposed to come back next week.

I have literally been dripping with sweat and I have had to drink twice as much water as normal.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We had a break in the rain yesterday! I should've put my plants in the ground. Of course, it's pouring all day today.

My dump pump has been running non stop for weeks!

kweb

Anyone else getting lots of snow today?
Two days ago it was 70F here and today it's 26F, snowing already about an inch of wet sticky blowing snow. Doesn't look to be stopping anytime soon. I guess it's still early in the season here, but still disappointing.

Here's a picture. I thought about planting grass seed yesterday...maybe wait a few weeks.
Hard to tell how bad it's snowing because of the wind.

Viewer discretion is advised! 3b

Briarheart

It did snow some here a few days ago, but it seems to have passed... there's still an awful chill in the wind though, and lots of cloudy days.

Kangaroo1943

I live in Australia in the state of Queensland in the city of Brisbane, The season we are now in is Autumn (Fall) the temperature 2 days ago was 29 , today its 19 with gales force winds and up to 200mm of rain forecast then back to normal Sunday.

We live in the sub tropics and we have had very bad cyclones this year in our state ,and one at present off the state of Western Australia coast.
The world is going through some horrific weather.

I am a volunteer with Red Cross Emergency services and have been activated many times due to fierce storms and our southern states have had very severe fires.
So it appears no matter where you live it is either storming or fires.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Yikes! We started out with over an inch of rain and now since 6pm, have about two inches of ice pellet/snow and are expected to get another 6 inches of :cry: snow :cry: overnight. We also have sustainable winds of 40 mph with gusts to 60 mph.

Though I am very glad I haven't planted my garden yet. I am also very glad that all my animals have shelter from this unexpected snow storm. Being wet and then frozen is not very nice for the young or the people trying to do chores. :mrgreen:

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Dylan Graduation 2015 021.JPG
Snow has stopped. Still windy gusting to 40 mph. About 30 degrees suppose to be in low 20's tonight, then start warming up. I think my strawberries are toast along with some fruit trees that were blooming, my grapes were budding out. The large mud puddles we had from the rain are frozen solid, along with my waterers for the animals. I couldn't even punch the waterers back open. I had to turn the heaters back on and give my milk cow water from the pump shed. The leaves on the trees and the grass even look bad and it hasn't started to warm up yet.

On the up side the animals are all well, so glad I can give them shelter. I had chicks hatch over the weekend and have more hatching today. They are all doing well in the brooder. The pigs are the funniest, buried in the straw completely. They hear the dinner bell and the ground explodes with pig squeals. :()

imafan26
Mod

Snow in May. It is pretty to look at, but I don't think I would want to be around it 24/7. I don't even like to rummage in my freezer.

This is going to be another El nino year which means we had a dry winter, although the winter storms of January actually dropped enough rain to call it normal rainfall for the season. Now we are having warm rain in May. It rains mostly at night with a few occasional morning showers. If there is no wind we will get the afternoon convection rains.

June 1st is the start of the Hurricane season and the warmer weather means more storms in the Pacific. I just hope the Pacific High stays close.

shadylane
Green Thumb

sunburn one day, putting on a sweatshirt the next...down to the 40's tonight and all week it looks..the trees are confused on what to do..frankly so am I...were on year 3 of having the high/lows..isn't that a song high low?

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Yes, it is hard to acclimate back to cooler temps. But the long range for the next month shows no more freezing temps for the next month after tomorrow night. So I have my fingers crossed and as soon as the snow melts and my garden is dried up some, I am planting the garden.

Imafan26, I will take my late snow storms over your hurricanes, so I will quit complaining now and hopefully get to enjoy summer. :cool:

applestar
Mod

Wow! It's been hot here so it's very hard to imagine all that snow and freezing temperature @sweetiepie. Sometimes the icy coating protects the buds somehow from the freeze-dry effect. I hope yours pull through. Cute to read the descriptions of the animals and the piggies. :D

We had freezing temps until the last minute of the average last frost, then the weather switched to SUMMER! Though with temp in the 50's tonight, things might be settling back to the norm for this time of the year. Some of my asian greens have bolted already in the heat, but the peas are just starting to bloom and the broccoli are starting to head up so I need it to stay cooler.

I think it was too cold for the cauliflowers when I planted them then it got too hot. They are not growing well at all.

I'm confused too because I thought I was late planting tomatoes and I really should be planting peppers and eggplants -- I still have some of those in the house and I just put others out to harden... And now it's in the 50's. :roll:

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

OMG 80's for a couple weeks and now we're getting lows in the mid 30's?????? :eek: What is going on with this weather!

Of course, we were away for the warm days and now that I'm back I want to harden all my flower and veggie plants that were self watering in the basement while we were gone and we get this cold weather and WIND! Did I say WIND!!! 30 MPH and last night T storms had possible gusts of 50 MPH :evil:

This is driving me crazy. Oh well, the plants are now in the garage on pallets with wheels. I'm hoping to roll them into the sun and back into the garage for shade as needed once this wind tames down some. Unbelievable though.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

An absolutely gorgeous breezy 70-degree day here today, & same low temps forecast for the rest of the week. Unfortunately & not all that unexpectedly, temps are supposed to hike up into the 90's next week.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Very jealous GardeningCook! :)

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

You won't be jealous next week when I'm in a flop-sweat & swearing like a sailor - lol!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”